Triggering Ion with QLab

bane

Hello all!

I am trying to trigger the Ion with Qlab. Currently this is what I have everything set as:

For the Ion:
MSC Receive: Enabled
MSC Transmit: Enabled
MSC Receive Channel: 1
MSC Transmit Channel: 1

For the Qlab:

Using a M-Audio Midisport USB Uno Sound card.
Under system preferences ---> Remote Control---> I have "Use MIDI Show Control" & "Use MIDI Controls" checked. Use Device ID has been set as both 1 & 126.
Under system preferences ----> MSC ---> Patch 1 has been patched to the USB device.

I then insert a MSC cue into the workspace. And under "MIDI Show Control Message" I have the appropriate output patch selected. Command Format is Lighting (General). Command is GO. Device ID is 127. Q No is 1, Q list is 1 & Q Path is 1.

I am trying to trigger Q 1 on my Ion, but haven't really had any luck so far.

I can trigger the same cue on the Ion using Show Cue System. Not sure what I am missing with Qlab. First time using Qlab. So I am hoping someone can help me out!

Thanks guys!!

Last edited:
That was a typo on my part.

The receive channel is 1.
The transmit channel is 2.

Also I have switched the Device Id in the MSC Cue to 1, 2, 126 & 127. No luck.

But yeah, let me know if you have more info on it when you get home! Thanks!

Glad to hear that you were able to get it working!

A few things to keep in mind with Ion and MSC, which may be useful in the future, and to anyone who passes by this thread. The following is applicable for the Eos (except for local MIDI), Gio, and Element as well:

1. The Ion console will respond to the MIDI device ID that is specified in Setup-> Show Settings-> Show Control[> MSC Receive Channel and 127, which is an "all call," or an instruction for all listening devices.
2. In order to receive local MIDI, there are settings between the shell and the console setup that must match. For receiving MSC, it is the MIDI In Group in the Ion's shell (Exit Ion -> Settings) and the Setup->Show Control-> ACN Rx Group ID. For transmitting MSC, it is the MIDI Out group in the shell, and the ACN Tx Group ID in Setup.
3. The MIDI device ID (transmit/receive channel) can match between settings. The same goes for ACN MIDI Group Rx and Tx settings, as long as you consider #2.
4. The Ion uses cue list and cue number information, but it does not use cue path from the MSC packet. It will likely ignore the extra data, but it is worth mentioning.
5. The Ion can be configured to receive MSC, transmit MSC, or both. One doesn't depend on the other to work.
6. More information on show control can be found in the manual for the console, as well as on our wiki page here: Understanding the MSC Commands Eos Family Receives/Transmits - Electronic Theatre Controls

Users who are viewing this thread

Back