Triscuits Drum riser?

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
So it's been a couple years, but I'm finally getting around to the drum riser project. I have never actually built a triscuit before and really like the idea for this project. The look I would like to end up with is a single super strong layer that's about 4" thick. With casters. I want it really stout, the band teacher is a bit picky and wants to make sure it doesn't have any vibration issues. I was wondering what you think about the idea of building a single giant triscuit. Make it out of 2x2 framing internally, with 1 1/2" rigid foam insulation filling in the gaps between 2x2's. Use ton's of liquid nails on it in order to make the foam core part of the triscuit construction. Should make it really dead sounding and be very strong.

I"m going for 6 1/2' x 7' for dimensions (yeah I know that's small, but that's about as big as I can store). So I'm dealing with odd sizes. I was thinking about using two layers of 1/2" plywood top and bottom in alternating directions, to put even more stress in my stress skin. In other words the design would be:
1/2" oriented left/right
1/2" oriented up stage/downstage
central frame of 2x2 and 1 1/2" rigid foam
1/2" oriented left right
1/2" oriented Up stage/downstage

Is this crazy?

well that's definitely super strong, and insanely heavy. If you figure 40# per sheet, that's 227 pounds plus wood framing weight. Almost 300 pounds if i guess 50 pounds/sheet. you have 4 layers of plywood. Way overbuilt IMO but I don't have the math to back that up. I figure you'd be good with 3/4" on top and bottom and a caster in the middle...

The Yale triscuit uses 5/8" ply top and bottom, and 5/4 x 2 on flat for framing, supported by studwalls 4' on center. So, yes, I think you're using more plywood than you need to. But that all depends on how many casters you're intending.

Two layers of 1/2" on each side?

I suppose you could split the difference and use double alternating layers of 3/8" top and bottom?

Ah let me clarify a bit. What I really want is one of those really nice honey comb sound proof riser decks you get from a company like Wenger or Stageright, but I don't want to pay $2k. I want it to have four casters and very little additional structure. So to do that, it needs to be a bit overbuilt.

Tell me the truth, is this idea crazy? Should I just build it as a standard triscuit with stud walls or the classic 3/4" ply, sound proofing layer, and 2x6 framing (but that'll be heavy too)?

@JohnD double alternating layers of 3/8" makes sense, it thins the whole thing out a bit, but is still stronger than the original Yale triscuit design.

I suppose I could relent and add a caster in the middle.

I wonder if there might be an occasion for an off center caster instead, like when you have a sumo wrestler sized drummer!;)

Never have had luck with a mid point caster. It finds a a high spot making the whole thing unstable.
I think a full 2" of plywood is a bit of over kill. 5/8 top, 3/8 x 2 bottom , full 2" no knots framing with foam filler. Or even a 1/4" x 2 bottom. 6" timber screws for the frame.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to back off of this idea and just go with what I know... 2x4, 3/4" plywood, and a layer of soundproofing board in between. Yeah, it's old school and not very fancy, but I know it'll work. I'll experiment with building triscuits for another project in the future. .

How about a pair of 4x8 risers with RotoLocks to mate them together? Braked casters for each section. Easier to move & store and useful when you need a smaller riser, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back