trivia question of the day

I think the film set builders might be called "grips" or maybe that's just the people who move it... (I'm not really a film person)

The plane could not take off. The only thing that matters is the plane's movement in relation to the wind. If it were in a giant wind tunnel, it would take-off. Or, like when you throw a plane, it takes off. But, if there is no wind on the wings, no lift happens. All that matters is the movement in the air.

For the boat question, the water would rise. The weight while in the boat causes the boat to sink more, and add the volume of the air inside it. It is like pushing down on a bowl in the sink while you are washing dishes. The density of the bar makes a lot more pressure pushing down on the boat, and adds more volume in air, than there is volume in the bar. When the bar is in the water, only the volume counts, which is relatively low.

Don't know if you've already answered some of these, but oh well. I just like answering brainteasers regardless of previous input. :)

Nope not plasterer, but I see where your'e comming from. Plaster line actually means just that it's where the scenery stops and the "plaster" of the building starts.
Grip is also a good guess and I have been in theatres where they have referred to their stagehands as "grips" because, as you said, they "grip" the scenery. In the movies Grips are actually a member of the lighting crew. They perform a lot of different jobs but they are primarily associated with set-up and operation of lighting instruments "On-set" background lighting and power supply falls under the auspices of Rigging-electrics.
Two good guesses though. I'm not giving out hints yet though.

SUPERCALIFRAJILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS!!!

Online I got from Wiki, Construction Manager or Head Carpenter depending on what you mean... But I'm guessing I'm totally off.

have anything to do with catherine the great's love pitimkin? the guy who constructed faceades of cities to impress visiting monarchs

Momentary de-railing:

I tried to ponder the plane problem some more, but I couldn’t find where my logic was failing. So I decided to look up the solution on the Internet. I found several message boards about it (one with 400+ posts!!!). (And I’ve heard better manners at a Steelers-Browns game.) Seems to be a lot of mis-application of concepts [guilty], poorly stated problems open to interpretation (Sharynf’s version seems to be one of several versions of the problem), some red herring issues [the problem is about movement and the airplane is not relevant though the jet engines are relevant; and often variations of the problem statement coax a way of thinking or include a false statement], and the general problem of applying a real world machine (the plane) to a truly imaginary machine (the belted runway) and the interface between the two. But most peculiarly, there seem to be two camps for a problem that is demostratable with mathematics/physics. In fact, someone who has just finished Physics 101 and still remembers free body diagrams is probably in the position to explain/demonstrate it [And its been a loooong time since I did Physics 101].

Ignore my earlier post on the subject [I was hung up on the friction component of the problem and the construction the free body diagram.] – The plane flies and some senator gets re-elected for bringing in the massive pork barrel funding for the runway. [The plane is like any other object in motion on a surface; the two opposing vertical forces cancel, and there is a forward thrust force and a backward friction force.] And I’m going to leave it that – this problem has been discussed endlessly at other forums.

Joe

(No clue about the set builders - I never watch the credits that closely..)

I posted it here to get the discussion going, and because it does tend to get people to take pretty strong positions.

The basic concept with these sort of questions, sort of like illusions and magic is to distract the reader from the relevant facts, and draw on personal experiences that lead someone to the wrong conclusion

Basically, most of the time when we think of an object moving forward on the ground we think that the movement is produced by the wheels, like a car, or in our personal experience your legs from running.

In a plane unless you stand on the brakes, the wheels really do nothing but reduce friction and the force comes either from the prop or the jet, So if you apply forward thrust, no matter what the belt is doing, the wheels will simply compensate, they might be going twice as fast as the belt, in the opposite direction, in the same direction, it really does not matter, the plane will move forward, air/wing will create lift and the plane will take off.

Sharyn

...but it can't take off...
If the plane just sits there on the belt moving backward, it will go backward.
If it is not on a belt, and turns on the engines, it will go forward.
Even though the propellers and jets will be pushing the air, the belt is still pulling back on the wheels. It doesn't matter that the engines are not pushing it forward on the belt, just that it is pushing it forward at all. It is still an equation of subtracting vectors. Still no wind, no lift, no take-off.

Somebody has to try it out on a remote control plane on a treadmil. (if anybody has both.) We need to have a definite answer...

have anything to do with catherine the great's love pitimkin? the guy who constructed faceades of cities to impress visiting monarchs

WHAT ? hehehe
No, actually the guys that build sets for movies are actually called Prop builders, or prop makers. It comes from a fight between IATSE and the Construction Carpenters union. Early on the Carpenters union tried to muscle in on the movie industry and force the set builders to join thier union. As we all well know there is a big difference between Set carpentry and construction carpentry, just as there is between a theatrical electrician and a IBEW guy. Yes the basic concepts are the same but application, language and practice sometime differs. So the legal battle ensued and, from what I understand the courts said, " a carp is a carp" and since the Carpentry union had a "specialization" or Designation of Carpenter, the movie industry or IATSE countered by creating the designation of "Prop builder" to get around the legal restricton.
I love movie work. It's kind of different from the theatre world but it's a blast. The money is not bad either ! :mrgreen:

Ok give me a day or two to think up a new one.....

...but it can't take off...
If the plane just sits there on the belt moving backward, it will go backward.
If it is not on a belt, and turns on the engines, it will go forward.
Even though the propellers and jets will be pushing the air, the belt is still pulling back on the wheels. It doesn't matter that the engines are not pushing it forward on the belt, just that it is pushing it forward at all. It is still an equation of subtracting vectors. Still no wind, no lift, no take-off.
Somebody has to try it out on a remote control plane on a treadmil. (if anybody has both.) We need to have a definite answer...

I think this should become a write in campaign for Mythbusters. They are tech people and would understand how important the answer to this is.

WHAT ? hehehe
No, actually the guys that build sets for movies are actually called Prop builders, or prop makers. It comes from a fight between IATSE and the Construction Carpenters union. Early on the Carpenters union tried to muscle in on the movie industry and force the set builders to join thier union. As we all well know there is a big difference between Set carpentry and construction carpentry, just as there is between a theatrical electrician and a IBEW guy. Yes the basic concepts are the same but application, language and practice sometime differs. So the legal battle ensued and, from what I understand the courts said, " a carp is a carp" and since the Carpentry union had a "specialization" or Designation of Carpenter, the movie industry or IATSE countered by creating the designation of "Prop builder" to get around the legal restricton.
I love movie work. It's kind of different from the theatre world but it's a blast. The money is not bad either ! :mrgreen:
Ok give me a day or two to think up a new one.....

You mean that if the Teamsters dump a small stack of 1x4 lumber off their forks or a fork lift by way of being an idiot, and neither he nor the assistant driver there to adjust the forks and riding on the fork truck in a un-professional way to do nothing else but this won't pick up the lumber they dumped due to incompitence; it than becomes a debate weather because it's lumber, the carpenters pick it up, or because it's crap on the deck, the laborers pick it up, it might cause an hour of wasted time because the idiot who dumped the crap off the forks won't just pick it up?

I can't believe there is union battlels of who does what. Can't we all just get along?

Last edited:
Yeah unless you are just driving a "gator" across the set you better have a teamster driving you. Honestly you aren't too far wrong. As a "Rigger" < rigging electrics in the movies > you have to be real careful when build thing to run cables with. If it's a big project you might need to be going to the prop builders to get it done instead of just building it yourself.

How About a new question of the day ? Who can be the firsat to properly name all seven parts of a "Standard" flat < kicking it old school> :mrgreen:

I will not answer the question but help to refine it as a "Soft Flat." Old school and clout nails still are tops.

all PAR, R, and MR, type lamps are classified this way, the number being 64,56,16 or what ever else means the number divided by 8 (eighths of an inch)
so a PAR 64 is 8" in diameter, a PAR 56 is 7" in Diameter and an MR-16 is 2" in diameter

Seven parts? Uh...

1. Top Rail
2. Bottom Rail
3. Toggle Rail
4. Corner Block
5. Stile
6. Strap
7. Keystone
8. Diagonal Brace
9. Half-Strap

I think that covers it... maybe.

Yeah seven the strap and half strap aren't part of the basics but good job this question has only sat here for two weeks. Great now I have to think of another !

Cheating is when actors in a conversation really face out a little toward the audience, sort of making a V facing downstage, instead of being parallel ll.

Blocking isdeciding where on the stage something happens. Could be when they are acting, or singing, or dancing.

Don't know if this is outstandingly easy, (probably is...no, I'm sure it is...I'll ask anyways...) but who was the first to use a "memory" or computer lighting board, what was that board, and for what play. =P

As far as I know the worlds first "memory board" was the Strand IDM/MSR developed in 1968 and installed in Schweinfurt Germany, the Budapest Opera and the London Coliseum in that year. I have no idea who (individual designer) first operated it or what shows it was first used on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back