Trouble recruiting

shaferboy

The crew at my school is an after school activity only(no classes are offered) I'm having trouble recruiting underclassmen because our director is incredibly strict and angers quickly. My issue is that I'm graduating next year and we have no one qualified to become the new TD. I was wondering if you guys would have any tips for recruiting. Thanks in advance!

One strategy is to find an actor that may be willing to step into a new position (for example, a junior that probably won't get a lead role next year). I think you may also want to get the word out about what being a theater technician is. I find many students that have no idea what tech crew is and once they find out they are hooked. Spread the word to the underclassmen about what you do. Also, look for quite kids that aren't in any other clubs. Often they just don't join because they don't know anyone else. Something as simple as asking them to stop by after school may be all the push they need to sign up.

Also, don't mention your opinions about your director to them. Let them form their own opinion. If you make the director the enemy, people won't want to step up. Do your best to see it from the directors point of view. I don't know your director, so clearly I can't justify their behavior. However, I can say that when you are the person in charge of keeping a large group of kids on task and putting on a production, you have to be strict or things won't get done.

I had another thought about this. Are you able to recruit an 8th grader to help out? One of the main reasons I ever got interested in tech is that in 8th grade I was asked to help run the sound board for the HS musical. An eighth grader with prior interest would probably be so excited to help with the HS that they wouldn't really care if the director is a pain to work with. In a large school district this may be more difficult, but it might be worth a shot.

The crew at my school is an after school activity only(no classes are offered)
As are most high schools with just crew

I'm having trouble recruiting underclassmen because our director is incredibly strict and angers quickly.

Well, there's your problem...

My issue is that I'm graduating next year and we have no one qualified to become the new TD.

If I were you, this would be a classic "not my problem". Your intentions are good, you've put in many many hours of thankless work and want someone to fill your mantle. However, until your director learns to cool his face, you won't be recruiting too many people willing to sacrifice their afternoon getting yelled at. Seriously, not your problem.

If I were you, this would be a classic "not my problem". Your intentions are good, you've put in many many hours of thankless work and want someone to fill your mantle. However, until your director learns to cool his face, you won't be recruiting too many people willing to sacrifice their afternoon getting yelled at. Seriously, not your problem.

I also have this problem. I am a sophomore and basically running the tech crew. I will worry about things out if my control. I know I need to realize its not my problem.

To further that point, it's noble to try and that you want your program left in good hands, but if the teacher/ director/ whoever in charge isn't the one worried about it, there's not much you can do. It's literally their job, it'll be their problem as they lose more people and you've got big new adventures to focus on once you graduate.

Via tapatalk

This is a classic problem. High school tech where there is no adult tech on staff, often runs in cycles. A student comes along with a lot of interest and dedication and explores the theater, works hard to learn about the equipment, creates a great new program, other students join and things grow, then eventually it fades, students graduate, and the tech withers. Then someone new will come along in a few years who has the same interest and dedication, and the tech will grow again. That's just the way it is.

It's a good thing that a graduating senior wants to help their old school out and see the tradition continue, but you also have a future ahead of you in college and beyond. In the end, if the Director is "strict and angers easily" the problem is not yours, it's the director's. You should be applauded for sticking around despite the director's behavior. There's a big world out there ahead of you. College theater, working lots of gigs in lots of small theaters to get your career started... you have a lot ahead of you so don't worry too much about looking back.

I also have this problem. I am a sophomore and basically running the tech crew. I will worry about things out if my control. I know I need to realize its not my problem.
@NewChris In the end, you always come back to the fact that you are a student in a giant educational institution. There are school rules, state laws, the fact that you are still 15/16 years old and in an environment where Adults have all the power, and of course the Arts are always one of the lowest budget priorities so the theater always gets cut. In order to keep yourself from going crazy just remember there are very few things you can actually control. Work hard, do your best job, be responsible, be a leader, be someone that everyone says, "I love to work with that person"... those are the things you can control. When things beyond your control happen, suck it up and get back to work doing what you can do to make things great. Want to know a secret? The truth is, it's not that different from the Pro world. Every adult pro here has to deal with all kinds of annoying things that prevent them from doing their job the way the want it to be done. Things out of their control. So you are currently learning skills that you will use your whole life.

In the end it comes down to this: Care about the quality of your work. When things come up that you can't control, find your best way to deal with them so that you can get back to doing more quality work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back