Trouble with Electrics

So this will be a necropost, but quite a happy necropost. Over 3 years later our problem has been solved! The planets aligned and we finally were able to petition our district to fund the repairs and a few bonuses. Our smoke hatches got rigged with winch releases so we are now able to test them and close them from the stage should they accidentally (or intentionally :( ) deploy on us. We also got a re-rope and new locks and it feels like a brand new theatre I must admit.

So the electric was actually closer to the original thinking in this thread. It turns out that the longest lift line was installed incorrectly in the loft block and was run over the top of one of the spreader bolts which over time was sawed through- at which point the sides of the block pressed against the pulley inside effectively acting as a brake against the system. Our rigging contractor was able to repair the block and it moves like butter now. This again was Tommy Kendrick's company.

Lessons learned here-
  1. Double-check your work
  2. Be persistent (especially when dealing with the bureaucracy)
  3. Fight for walkable grids in your performing spaces.
Thanks to all who contributed knowledge and helped me reason through this one. I attached a couple pics- one of the fancy new locks (so shiny) and one of the repaired loft block that gave us grief.

Attachments

• IMG_3851.JPG
    IMG_3851.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_3846.JPG
    IMG_3846.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 250
Oldie but a goodie. One last piece of the puzzle. Our rigging inspector came by last week to do our annual and brought me a present.

1650295463476.png

Not the most efficient way to cut a bolt, but it works I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back