Control/Dimming trouble with my MC 7016 and NSI 4600's

guy1977

I left the circuit breakers on during the week that send power to my 4600 dimmer packs. When I arrived at the building yesterday, all of the stage lights were on at full power and would not respond to the 7016 controller. I have tried 2 of the 4 packs individually with a new control cable and they do not respond. The dimmer pack show the green led for power and all 4 yellow leds saying that they are receiving control signal. The controller lights up and seems to function normally, but there is no control of the lights...So, is this a dimmer issue, a controller issue or both?

You're going to have a hard time getting help on this one as most of the people around here are not exactly NSI experts (many are not NSI fans). Van's solution would be to make a boat anchor out of your system and buy something else... he's very busy with a show right now so I'll save him the time and post for him.

So I'm not an NSI expert although I have used the 7016. I'm looking at the manual for the 4600's. Look at the info on "Auto Test Mode" on page 5 and check your dip switches. Also the troubleshooting guide on page 9 suggests checking the output mode on the control board. The 7016 troubleshooting guide in it's manual also suggests double checking the dimmer pack settings.

Best bet would be to take the 7016 to someone who has NSI gear to test it out. Call your local rental place and see if they would let you test your controller on their NSI gear.

generally when a dimmer fails it fails in the open position, so your packs may be toast...

You might try calling your local electric company to see if there was a surge in your area while you were gone.

If you have the newer units, and dip switch 6 is off when mxp is \NOT PRESENT all the outputs go to full. If you have an older unit inside there is jumber j2 if this is OFF it will work the same way

So change dip 6 or add jump j2 and see if the pack turns off if it does not than the scr's have failed if the pack does turn off then it is likely that it is the console

It is Very likely that the scr's failed

Sharyn

So again, I don't claim to be the expert here... trying to understand.

So to Sharyn or others, Why would all the SCRS in multiple dimmer packs fail at the same time? A power surge? Would one going bad blow out the others in adjacent packs? Just dumb luck? Could it be that one pack went bad and it's making the others act funny? I know we aren't talking about ETC sensor dimmer quality but it seems like you should be able to leave an NSI dimmer pack on for a week without killing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back