Control/Dimming Troubleshooting advice: ETC L86 Control through DMX and Hog4PC/USB widget

Just realizing that I did not hit "post" on this after spending hours typing it up!

@Amiers: absolutely, you did indeed mention that. In the manual that you referred me to, it said:

EM264
The EM264 has three thumb wheels.
- For installation racks, thumb wheel is set to rack number (1-64)
- For touring racks, thumb wheel address is set to the DMX512 address of the first dimmer in the column that the EM264 controls

Since this was originally an installation, I left it as is because it seemed to align what the above in blue.
Since we were not a touring setup, I discounted the touring rack information as it did not fit the installation narrative.

After talking with Support originally, they told me that an ETC console just needs to know the "rack" number. I am an IT guy, so a "rack" is a 42U cabinet, which is what this was installed in, but in ETC terms, that is an "equipment rack". The "rack" is actually the ETC dimmer chassis. Since we had two chassis, the racks were labeled 001 and 002 respectively, which was clearly wrong (for our setup) and producing undesirable results.

The one thing that caught my eye in the touring rack section is the "thumb wheel address is set to the DMX512 address of the first dimmer in the column that the EM264 controls" statement. I explained what I wanted, and they confirmed that how I had configured the new setting of each of the EM264s would get me the flexibility that I needed, but technically it would not be configured as a "touring rack", it would still be considered an installation. Something still wasn't right. I had the top chassis with three EM264s that control 8 dimmers/column (16 circuits) each.
The top left EM264 is 001, which should be DMX 1-16.
Top middle EM264 is 002, which....Should be DMX 2-17?
Then top right would be DMX 3-18? This would also exhibit the duplicitous behavior that we wanted to eradicate. Drat. We are close, but not out of the woods yet! Reading the Touring Rack installation instruction again, the middle EM264 in the top row should start at 17, the third at 33, etc.

I called ETC and they walked me through using this setup and confirmed that if we wanted to use it as a "touring rack" that there would be some additional dip switch settings that had to be set. I have some pictures, but they haven't been sent yet (I was working with remote hands). We made the changes and tested; low and behold there were additional lights that would not previously energize. I now have to reprogram the AAS, as the dimmer DMX Addresses have changed again, but that is a small task compared to what has transpired thus far. I now have a working rack system as I imagined and intended!

For illustration (I don't yet have pictures), here is the current setup:

Chassis 1. Circuits 1-48
EM264 001EM264 017EM264 033

Chassis 2. Circuits 49-240
EM264 049EM264 113EM264 177

I'm headed out there next weekend to finally put this to bed, hang some lights and get the Optosplitter and other DMX goodies working with the Hog! I'll get some pictures as soon as I can.

Last edited:
More fun. After completely redoing the above, we reverted back to the Installation rack settings, where each EM264 has it's own individual number, and the three dip switches were returned to then ON position to utilize the table. Long story, but it was more advantageous for us to have the breaker/Dimmer/Circuit/DMX numbers all lined up rather than be separate, and it didn't really gain us anything in the long run. I also found out that there are hard patches galore, so I spent a considerable amount of time last weekend repatching for our needs with the rack powered down. I think we are getting to where we need to be, albeit slowly.

I also found out that the Optosplitter was inoperable and caused the first and second outputs to flicker. Third was already marked bad, and the only one that really worked was the "thru". This didn't get us what we wanted, but since I am using a Gadget II and Hog4 PC, I just plugged the second universe in to the catwalk, which worked well. I did find out that someone had separated the stage DMX from the front Catwalk DMX (after HOURS of tracing wires with a toner set). After wiring that back together, I have one universe for the dimmers, and one universe for the LEDs/Movers which should get us where we would really like to be at least for the show. Long term, I'd like to regain the other ~260 DMX channels on the first universe.

Phew! It's been a heckofa ride folks. I have one Studio Spot 575 that works with DMX, but doesn't have a working bulb. I'm trying to source one of those and we are going to be putting it all together hopefully in a couple of weeks here, and we'll see what happens. I have other lights with bad bulbs, and we have no spares, and no budget. We are just going to have to make do with what we have. Thanks to all of you who have helped us get to this point. If you will be in Branson and you'd like to come to the show, we are going to have them on Nov 6 and 7. Details are at the Freedom Journey Show website.

Thank you @Amiers, ordered and on it's way! This just means I have to go back up on the lift to hang it....

Shows are Nov 6, 2020 at 7PM and Nov 7, 2020 at 3PM at the theater former known as the Yellow Ribbon Theater.

Me: Shoe string budget, duct tape and bailing wire, that's what this show will be made of.
Owner: Great! It'll be fantastic then!

:cool:

Thank you @Amiers, ordered and on it's way! This just means I have to go back up on the lift to hang it....

Shows are Nov 6, 2020 at 7PM and Nov 7, 2020 at 3PM at the theater former known as the Yellow Ribbon Theater.

Me: Shoe string budget, duct tape and bailing wire, that's what this show will be made of.
Owner: Great! It'll be fantastic then!

:cool:
You get NEW duct tape and bailing wire? o_O

Just an update.
As I mentioned, we were on a shoestring budget. I found some cheap movers on Amazon and got those working last week just before the show and we were able to do everything and it was a great success!

You people are absolutely incredible. Thank you for the help!

@Amiers: THE STUDIO SPOT 575 WORKED!
@TimMc: Add superglue to that list. Oh and a hazer I found in Hollywood for under $500 SHIPPED!

Here are some pics from the show:

IMG_5461.JPG

IMG_5438.JPG

IMG_5476.JPG

IMG_5473.JPG

Thank you! Without your assistance, it simply would not have been possible.

Thanks for the pics and the update! It's always fun to see how things worked out.

Yeah, we have heard a bunch of different ones, another funny one was "Freedo Men Counter", we got a kick out of that. I'll have to add yours to the list too!
Please note that you're welcome to use

FreedomEncounter.com

in all uses: DNS is case-insensitive, and all clients should be too.

PenIsland.com PowerGenItalia.com

Please note that you're welcome to use

FreedomEncounter.com

in all uses: DNS is case-insensitive, and all clients should be too.

PenIsland.com PowerGenItalia.com
GovernersPenIsBusy - signs 12 new laws.

[ Sees pics ]

What a gorgeous house! Yeah, that's Branson.

We had TONS of cleanup to do... It wasn't very gorgeous when we got it in May (after being vacant for years). So happy to have been a part in resurrecting the usefulness of this facility! I was very proud of the production, only a couple of hiccups and an ALL volunteer staff - over 80 people came together to make the weekend a success!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back