Truss Protector

Truss Condoms... that’s what I call them at least. $2.00 each or somewhere around there for them, yep, it might just be PVC but it takes materials, skill and time to make them. That on a rental is no doubt while not the best price an at times OK price while perhaps high.

Take away my 8" wrench and we are at war. Use your 6" wrench and we also are at war. Interesting that an old timer as it were experienced person is all for the 6" wrench instead of what I thought to be the industry standard 8" wrench. That’s what I went to school with and what I require of all those I instruct. Concept is the same however, those who walk on stage with the 10 or 12" wrench sweep the floor and all need instruction into proper torque. Agreed that you can cinch the 6" and especially the wide jaw 6" wrench to the proper tension, just a tradition and norm type of thing for me in going 6" what for me by way of leverage and general use is not enough in cinching to what is the norm for 8" wrench. This also given that the 8" in the old days of all sch. 40 pipe would fit around the nut to it’s cheseboroughs if you opened them all the way and such clamps are not so much in use these days.

Fascinating idea of the penny taped to the truss. One thing about C-Clamps and truss this won’t help on is the little serrations of the C-Clamp also digging into the truss the condom will also protect against. Penny fascinating but not I would thing the best solution.

Len, you are correct this boarders on rigging but given the warning on your part it’s all covered for given one understands your concept. If not they won’t be of a worry in that following the advice you have given is conceptual and not to be tried without training and experience in what is expressed. Good point and it should remain.

Noting that most cheseboroughs are ½" bolt and truss is normally 5/8" hole. Also the 2" pipe you mention is 1.7/8" water pipe in being 1.1/2" ID pipe instead of 2" structural tubing measured by it’s OD instead of ID. The 1.7/8" on a cheseborough at times can be a problem in safety given it’s often designed for a 2" pipe and especially safety cable for the side arm as it were is not included.

Also, it’s been the case that the longer your side arm or outrigger as it were, the more torque. Had a McCormic place instance where some idiot production manager specified some 9-lite audience blinders at the ends of some believe it was 6' long 1.1/2" Sch. 40 pipe. Wouldn’t allow the concept back into the building until a set of engineering specifications signed off on followed it due to a wee bit of bending that pipe did. For once I could not agree less with the IA on-site in requiring what some idiot attempted to do. Sent them off specs in the re-design/engineer once I slapped someone upside the head, and while not an engineer it was accepted.

This all beyond sand bags etc. as needed to counter weight your tower. For me it depends upon the height of the tower and the length of the cantiliever. Most all booms or towers for me are engineered and when ever possible safety cabled off to the grid. After that a cantiliever depends upon height in addition to specific length of pipe. Could be safe, could be dangerous. Nothing to risk in my opinion by way of extra sand bags in the case of some drunk audience member getting near it and knocking it over. Lots of extra sand bags or bolting to the floor plus a safety cable.

I thought you people had union crews to deal with as well...

:) In being nice, suppose it depends upon the local union in how much it depends upon useful verses detremental to the production. No further comment should be expressed about this as it's it's own heated topic and one not so much for Controlbooth to best discuss.

Gee, some video guys pissed off the local, lighting part of the show in addition to other departments effected such as in end result mine days after the show with all of these cut plugs which came back from the show with all it's twist lock plugs cut off in un-plugging given un-twisting the locking the plugs was too complex for them.... happens it's not just legend. On the other hand, I'm IA trained in many things... while not IA it has uses when working and not neptism in function of ability to become a member above earning it or having too much skilled labor for the amount needed thus competion for a ready man service of hiring those from a pool for the job rather than hiring those by way of personal skill for that job. At times it's the best ever and the most professional you can find. At other times it can be JoeBob and his brother in local guys that are around thus qualifiy who cannot be as easily sent away. The IA can be a great thing for a production - worked and trained with some that were amongst the most skilled. On the other hand at times... means nothing to me. (Personal note, I don't qualify... this before I became upper lower management even.)_

Perma Penny from Apollo

What ARE those crazy hoosiers smoking in Indiana?

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this. (I think Kelite needs to send samples to a few key CB members...)

9658-perma-penny-apollo-permapenny-sidecloseup.png

The Perma Penny is the newest product introduced to the Apollo Product line. The Perma Penny is a handy truss protector that slips right onto a fixture clamp to protect aluminum truss from repeated damage done by clamps, adding years of life to truss. This product was conceived, design, and manufactured completely in-house at Apollo.
New Product: Perma Penny | From The Horse's Mouth

Attachments

• PermaPenny-SideCloseUp.png
    PermaPenny-SideCloseUp.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Re: Perma Penny from Apollo

Not exactly sure why electrical continuity between instrument and truss is a GOOD thing, but sure.

Maybe the people that don't like truss condoms will like this.

You may not be grounded through building steel when it comes to truss, but hang more than one fixture on a truss and if any fixtures have faulty connections to ground, so long as they're bonded to the pipe/truss and therefore each other, electrical shorts will find safer paths to ground through the other fixtures' ground conductors than through a person's body.

I'd suspect a lot of clamps except those with new, shiny paint jobs that insulate the teeth of the clamp from the truss will bond to the truss regardless of these devices though.

I've seen an ample number of cables and whips on fixtures with loose wires at the connector's terminals. At this point when I walk into any theater I just assume that theater's cables or fixtures are in some level of disrepair and don't trust that all of the ground wires are connected like they should be.

I don't mind the idea of using truss protectors that serve to prevent unnecessarily reducing potential paths to ground versus say bits of PVC. Nothing's a substitute for proper inventory maintenance and upkeep though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back