Control/Dimming Trying to decide on an ML controller

edwardmw

Hello,
I will soon be purchasing a Moving light controller. I have 16 moving head fixtures, 10 led cans, 4 color merge and color power and a few assorted fixtures like the source 4 Leko.
I am looking at the ECT smartfade ML, the Martin Xciter, or a step up with the Jands hog 500.
Can I please get some advice or feedback from those who have used the above.
I will be doing lights for bands, and some small theatricals.
Thanks,
Ed

If you want a cue stack, the hog500 is your answer. They will all do the job, but the hog will allow you some more ease of programing in a theatre enviorment
Posted via Mobile Device

If I was in your position I would look at how many channels of DMX you need to control and how many channels of dimmers you need to control. This would then give you an idea what you would require in a lighting desk. With a hog you would have a lot of flexibility. The SmartFade has a limited number of channels of normal dimmers, and it also has a limited number of fixtures in its library. And I do believe you cannot add more fixtures to its library. So I would be leaning towards the Hog

I am pretty certain some of the fixtures I have are not in the ETC smartfade ML library, for example, the G-Lites 300s,and the Deliya Vision spot 575. I was not sure, but I thought I might be able to create a profile for these on Smartfade ML, I will have to check on that one.
At this time, 512 channels would be enough.
Ed

The SFML can only control 24 fixtures simultaneously. So unless you did some double-addressing they would not all fit on the SFML.

Get a Hog 500 if you have the money - no question.

I used the ETC Smartfade ML in a small show i recently did, figured i'd give it a try, and after one day of playing with in sent it back for the MA Light. I have used both the Hog and MA consoles and like them both. Either one will do you well! But i would stay away from the smartfade, but that's just me.

Isn't the Hog 500 discontinued? Still decent, but I'd consider something that is current before I'd look at a discontinued product. Maybe an Avo? What about pc control? If you are working with bands, then either you're doing a lot of busking or working with midi or both. I might want something that can be triggered by midi if I could.

Out of those two? The Hog 500 in a second. Skip the Smartfade. If you have the money go with one of the MAs or an Avo Tiger.

Mike

Out of those two? The Hog 500 in a second. Skip the Smartfade. If you have the money go with one of the MAs or an Avo Tiger.

Mike

Have you thought of the ETC ION or EOS? they are great consoles, I've been using an ION for the last 7 months for everything from Jazz concerts to Rock concerts to Dance shows to Plays and Musicals and It's been great! Although if you do look at the ION, make sure you get a fader wing and touch screen with it.

Hmmm...question for the OP - what's the price range? Due to the originally mentioned controllers, I think we're getting a bit far away from it. When the OP mentioned the Hog 500, I assumed that it would be purchased used because the Hog 500 is indeed discontinued. You can get a used hog 500 for $3Kish in relatively decent condition (not factory fresh refurb, but fully functional and not looking like pond scum).

Is there something in the Chamsys MagicQ Console line that fits the price or even come close? Maybe the MQ50? No clue.

You also might look at the Zero88 line of controllers. The Jester TL (latest version of the ML, small but allows a small fader console to be used as a wing panel) and the Leap Frog consoles both support moving lights. No personal experience with them, just heard that they aren't that bad for small rigs and for people who have yet to be spoiled on a GrandMA (Now why won't my place of summer employment let me borrow a Full-Size for the weekend again?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back