Trying to extend the mileage of a Tempest 2400 system

blueeyesdesigns

I've got a Tempest 2400 com system that I'm trying to get a few more years out of before we start talking about replacement. Starting with the batteries... Gulp. I looked at replacing the rechargeable packs they came with, since they no longer hold a charge for the length of a whole show or event, and was surprised by the cost. For less than half the cost of replacing the five packs, I can get high quality rechargeable AAs AND chargers. I know I sacrifice a bit of run time, but to be honest, I don't typically need a full day's worth of time anyway.

Has anyone done this and had any experiences of note?
Does anyone know if the firmware etc in the beltpacks is capable of charging the rechargeable AAs?

I'm also looking to replace the headsets that we're using with them (big 'ole single-muff standard CC headsets that are showing their age). I'd like to replace them with lighter weight models, but we have a few that don't seem to work well with the packs (impedance mis-match on the mics, I think?) Does anyone know if CC's new lightweight offerings will work with those beltpacks? Any 3-rd party sets?

Last, we've always had clarity issues with the system, and I'm wondering if we can improve reception by adding an antenna backstage. It's maybe 100' as the crow flies from the base station at FOH to backstage, but there is a cinder block wall between. What would I need to be able to do that and would it be worth it, in your opinions?

Charge the AA batteries in a charger designed for them.

As for the antenna, does the system sound better when the beltpacks are close to the antenna? If so, then moving the base station to backstage would help.

The range of a Tempest system depends on how far it is from your venue's dumpster to the landfill.

I'm not joking. What unadulterated crap. I notice that ClearCom no longer supports Tempest and refers questions to Coach-Com (who I think ClearCom licensed it from).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back