Vintage Lighting Trying to I.D. This Spotlight

bags

What age is it? Model #? Couldnt even find a picture of it. If anyone has any idea about this light Thank You for filling Me in. I couldnt find *#@* on it. About 8"x8". 6" freznel clear glass lens. Steel housing. Capital Stage Lighting Co Inc. N.Y. on the tag.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 526
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    345.6 KB · Views: 465
We still have some of those in service. They are good fixtures. Older ones just need new tails and they work fine. I don't know the model number though. Just to note, mine are only rated for 500 watt lamps so the same probably applies to your fixtures.

Re: The heck on this box spot?

VINTAGE ORIGINAL "CENTURY LIGHTING" spotlight (W/ Pictures)

Flickr: Flikrnpicker's Photostream

Hello everyone! I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me put a model number to this spotlight, a year, or any information really. I'd like to put this item up for sale and would appreciate the added detail information. Enjoy the pics!

All original!

Original

Original

VINTAGE ORIGINAL "CENTURY LIGHTING" spotlight (W/ Pictures)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64796963@N05/

Hello everyone! I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me put a model number to this spotlight, a year, or any information really. I'd like to put this item up for sale and would appreciate the added detail information. Enjoy the pics!

All original!

Original Lens: "CENTURY LIGHTING 12" D. X 60° flood [TOP FRONT]"

On trip pod their is a Union Label sticker '329826'

DAVID
Email: [email protected] or [email protected]
Reno, NV

Based on the general appearance of the thing and two specifics, I'm going to bet we'll find this is a mid/late sixties Century Product.
A) The lamp leads are clearly asbestos(which makes them a current safety hazard, BTW) which places them pre '71 or so.
B) It's a three wire set of leads, when did an equipment ground get to be standard at Century ? I'm sure someone around these parts can help us
with this one...........
NB: The connector clearly is not original. The original was likely a fibre three hole 2P+G.

Fresnel's are a type of spot light, so are PAR Cans and ERS's.

Now, its certainly not a follow spot, but I'm sure people have used them as such.

The insulating pad below the lamp socket is asbestos also.

You have 3 options for selling it:

Assuming it's 8" and not going with the stand-
1.) Gut it (remove asbestos) and sell as is -- $25
2.) Paint it and rewire it to use a household bulb (decorator/prop piece) -- $40-60
3.) Paint and rewire to modern standards -- $60-80+

These are the prices I would pay. Check eBay for the going price. Search terms "Kliegl, Century Lighting, Fresnel, Vintage Stage Light", etc.

If you're selling it with the stand, add about $50 to the above estimates, assuming the stand is in good condition.

Last edited:

(Pardon the pun, but) jstandfast is spot on. Another clue is that it says Century, with no mention of Strand, and thus is before 1969 (see Memory Lighting Control Systems, History - ControlBooth for dates). BTW, it's not a box spot, it's an 8" or 10" Fresnel, and not as valuable as I suspect you think it is. If 10", may be a #510. gafftapegreenia is correct also: The tubular yoke, rather than flat strap steel, does identify it as being more of a studio fixture.

Mod. note: some posts above have been moved here from another location.

Last edited:

This would be perfect for someone's Sunset Blvd set...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back