The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

TTI dimmers to Elation DMX MULTI/DATAPAK

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by baribuneo, Dec 10, 2008.

1. baribuneo

baribuneo Member

Hi,
    I have 4 sets of TTI 2.4Kw dimmer packs. I'm looking to connect them to the Elation MULTI/DATA Pack DMX/Analog converter that we purchased last year. Would you happen to know the wiring scheme from each dimmer pack? Also, I believe there are a total of 8 wires from each pack of six dimmers. I'm assuming that 6 of them are channel specific and one is a ground, but I don't know what the last one is for. The Elation unit has a DB25 female receptacle for the analog output. Would I create a DB25 cable from the dimmer packs wires? What would I do with the "ground" wire as there will be 4 total? What do I do with the unidentified wire from each pack? Thanks for any and all of your help.

2. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

See this thread: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/6635-controlling-old-dimmer.html and http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/1106-old-scrimmer-console.html. It's possible that wire#7 carried voltage to the console, so you should be fine not terminating and insulating it.

I seem to recall some dimmer packs using 8-pin Cinch-Jones and others using 10-pin. In either case, dimmers 1-6 are pins 1-6, with common on the last pin, #8 or 10. Here's a link to the 10-pin: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/8269-what-how-do-i-make-go.html#post97026.

3. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Yea, what he said ;)

Both TTI and EDI put power on one of the pins. (25vac, but it's been a few years) They marketed a couple of passive controllers that were powered by the pack. Just ignore that pin. EDI used the 8 pin C/J and TTI used the 10 pin. EDI was 2.6 to 7 volts (black to full) and TTI was 0 to 10. Some of the middle aged EDI was 0 to 10 as well.

When you go to use these older analog packs, you may want to have them tuned up a bit. By now, the low end trim and end ramp adjustments have probably drifted, so you may find brightness differences between channels. Easy to fix, if you can find a shop that will do it as compared to trying to sell you a new system. As these adjustments must be made with the unit apart but powered up, I would not recommend doing it yourself. (Some, I think, did have trim pots that did not require opening the unit.) Good Luck!

4. baribuneo

baribuneo Member

Thanks for your replies. JD, thankfully they have an adjuster on the front of each dimmer that you can turn with a screw driver. I emailed Steve Short over at Litetrol as well and he sent me a copy of the pin outs for this. I've attached it for anyone else who might need it in the future. Thanks again.

Attached Files: