Turf Sources for The Wolves

Benjamin Fink

I am designing the scenery for a production of The Wolves, and I'm looking to cover our roughly 30'x40' stage with turf. I found a recommendation on this site for ondecksports.com and have reached out to our athletics director to see if we have relationships with any turf suppliers. Does anyone have any other recommendations or advice?

I just looked and there is a "SYNLawn" in Cannon Falls. I used to use them for Theatrical lawn stuff all the time. Even used them for a bunch of Nike project. Good materials, decent prices. If they are'local' to you you might even be able to get remnants and piece together what you need. Synthetic turf is pretty easy to work with. If the ask, you shouldn't need the granulated filler for stage purposes.
Synlawn

It's funny, I just worked with a museum to make an indoor putting green puzzle challenge. Home depot has like 20 different types of astroturf, some cheap, soe not so much. It ended up making the most sense to buy turf "rugs" instead of purchasing by the foot. Each 5x7' "rug" was $17, I believe.

I have been looking at the Menards version of that carpet. I don't think I can beat it on price, but I'm hoping to find something we can afford that's a step or two more turf-ish than that.

Back when I was younger and dumber, I did try to use sod for a set design. I bought it, brought it into the space, and learned how quickly a roll of sod in an enclosed indoor space makes everything smell like ripe manure. Luckily it aired back out just as quickly and we moved on to plan B (which was that same carpet you recommended above.)

On the ondecksports site, it looks like they sell used turf - has anyone purchased used and then resold back to the supplier after closing? I'm sure I won't get the original cost back (plus shipping both ways), but then at least I don't have to worry about storing or disposing of the darn stuff.

You may have seen the turf we used in the thread
Hey, I thought we could share pictures of our shows...
around April 3rd. One of our board members owns a rug store so I can't say exactly what brand it is, but experience says it's the same stuff as Home Depot/Lowes. Stapled down nicely and stayed flat through the run. It's rolled up in the corner, if you find yourself with a truck in Rochester, NY.

Did this in 2019 covering about 30'x60' (42' prosc. but ran off into the wings). Bought used turf from-
https://artificialgrassrecyclers.com/?v=f24485ae434a
What we bought was from a soccer field somewhere and "stored" a nearby landscaping supplies place. Purchased extra because we would need to cut around the existing field markings. (no chance to inspect the rolls before pick up). Had to pick up (used a stake bed truck-they fork lifted the rolls on) and then shake out/vacuum the rubber infill and turf tape together but it worked out for us. We added the lines in the picture.
Cost was just under $2000 which was much cheaper for the quality of turf than any other options I found.

1623350966883.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back