Turn this picture into...

Charc

This is for an idea I had, wether or not it goes to production is yet to be determined.

Turn this picture into a 3D model.

Going off of dimensions from this picture, the overall length of the body would be about 1'9".

I had considered paper mache (sp), but am worried that the overall look won't quite be where I'd hope it would be. I'm looking for something cleaner, and I am right now going in the direction of an entirely metal frame type frame, using 1/4" armature wire, and using various other metals/mesh to complete the look. I had considered something using pipefittings or something, but I have a couple main issues: I don't have metal working tools, and it needs to be relatively light. So anything I can manipulate by hand, or with a set of tinsnips. Any tips for dealing with burs or sharp edges?

One possibility is to use some ducting material, and bend it as needed for the body section.

I'm concerned over a couple of key points, mainly being issues of details. I'd like to add some detail, like to the leg sections, but in general. I want it to read well, without being overly complicated. I'm not sure how much it will take to make it read like a spider.

Carve it out of foam. Go get that green floral foam that you can get in large block and go nuts. Cover it with foam coat when you are done and you will be set to do whatever else on it.

Foam is an interesting idea. I'm not sure where I could get a a 2' cube of foam though, or any large size.

You should be able to find it at a flower shop or craft store. Especially flower shops that do large arrangements (weddings, funerals.) If you really can't find it that big, you should be able to glue large blocks together.

When we did Wizard of Oz, we made an Oz head out of insulation board glued together. It was about 6x3x3 originally. It's still hanging in the Music Room, 4 years later.

First off...... Prior to placing a link to a terriffyingly large spider photo. you should really post some disclaimers for us Archniphobes!
Now as I climb back down from the ceiling.... What's Foam Coat ? C'mon Charc. It's "the Man's" version of VSSSD. I'd say get some 1/8" cold drawn steel rod, A pair of pliers, a pair of vice grips, some foam, some VSSSD and go to town. A friend of mine is an incredible steel rod scuplter. He started the technicque back at Studio Concepts, and they still use it today to form the armatures of most of their floats. I once watched Bill start with a 20' length of rod, a pair of pliers and skill, and over the course of 4 hours he created a very recognizable wire framed black bear skull.
you could build your armature and then slip carved foam peices over it, then coat, or carve the foam, split it on a bandsaw then install it over the armature, then coat it.

Did the photo actually scare you? Sorry...
....... I might wander through HD and see what materials catch my eye.

I truly hate Spiders. Now, I don't "Freak like Daffy Duck", anymore, but they still give me the willys.

HD has All-thread but I can't remember if they have just plain steel rod.

I like the foam carving idea, but you need some reinforcement in those arms. If you use floral foam you should be able to carve sections, insert steel rod for strength, then foam coat it all up.

While Oasis is the "leko" of the industry, "Floral Foam" is the correct generic term so search for both. (Unlike Derek I'll tell you how I know, my Grand Father, his brothers, and my Dad when he was younger ran a couple flower shops and green houses).

The tool you need for the carving is here. You can get one at any major hardware store for about $5.

I have to say when it comes to foam, floral foam is on of my least favorite media. Oasis or floral foam it too susceptible to damage. it's great when covered in flowers and you can't see the foam itself, but you can dent it simply by picking it up. I highly reccomend EPE foam sheet like one finds at the Depot or through and insultaion contractor. Just my two cents worth.

Gaff, Flower arrangement is one of the 7 virtues of a Samurai, you know.

You've got a good point Van. While really easy to carve, floral foam compresses easily. A good coating of foam coat will help to protect it some, but it will dent and crush easily. The EPE is a little harder to work with but it won't crush. Another option would be A-B foam. It would be harder to carve, but actually the easiest to get the size block you need. Get a box that is the right size, mix up your A-B foam, and pour it in the box, it will expand in the box. Once it's hardened you've got a a chunk of foam the exact size you need for your project. I think they have it at Home Depot in the paint department.

If you can't find A-B foam locally, this is a company here in Seattle that sells A-B foam and all kinds of other cool stuff for fabrication work on the internet. Type "fiberfoam" in the search box. The one pint kit should be plenty for your project.

Ok I admit it... I know about floral foam because I'm training to be the world's first Samurai Pirate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back