Turning 120v into 208v

Replacing ETC Sensor dimmers with those from Applied Electronics? Not sure I see the wisdom in that scenario.

I meant buy a whole new rack, with some dimmers, and some distro circuits. Something like the photo, but configured the way the OP needs it. RACK SYSTEMS | *Applied Electronics Sell one of the old dimmer racks to recoup some of the expense. I don't know if ETC makes them but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. I didn't mean to imply that one should take parts from Applied and try to jam them into an ETC product.

Hello again "dad"!

I've no experience and/or expertise when it comes to tinfoil haberdashery, 'nough said.

There is a world other than on the net, I've heard. I believe a call to Steve Terry could provide proof if required/desired and I heartily concur with your assessment of his advice on this forum and elsewhere. I suspect most Nigerian Princes would have giveaway accents, again, 'nough said.

Delta and Wye systems, grounded conductors and what constitutes a neutral; far more than 'nough said and I trust you did well with your electrical engineering exam. I'm not personally aware of any power distribution situation where the common point of a Wye secondary is legally permitted to operate un-grounded but that's just me and I'm entitled to my wrong opinions. I believe the grounded common point always "participates" even though it's not always brought out from the transformer's enclosure.

Let me get back to upgrading my pedantry skills, perhaps, sometime prior to my expiration, I may achieve a passing grade on my pedantry exam. ;^)

Take care Sir!

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

He said that the ECM modules were being phased out and that it would be difficult to get them repaired in the future.

I'm on a classic CEM and have had no problem with repairs. ETC has a great support system and despite the fact that I've missed out on sensor+ and sensor3 I'm still fine if something goes wrong. worst case scenario you upgrade if it ever failed in the future, but there are systems that have been running far longer than mine without issue. I'd agree that you don't really need to update it. If it aint broke don't fix it, and if it does break you should be able to pick up a new sensor3 brain quick without much difficulty. To me its an unneeded expense that would be much better spent getting the distro you need since that is a more pressing issue.

Interesting idea I will talk to the people that will be upgrading the dimmer racks to see how much it would be. Now that I will be going the 110v option I will be buying R20 etc modules. I was surprised that they were $450.00 a piece and since they are doubles circuiting them will be problematic. I wish they made just one side a relay. I made several relay dimmers for a nearby theater in a cd80 rack. Those are easy to work on. In this age of moving lights. The future theater may have more straight AC power.

I would not go with R20s. Go with CC20 modules instead.
They are much cheaper, and will prevent anyone from accidentally killing power to your moving lights from the console.

I wish they made just one side a relay.
Replace your Sensor racks with Sensor3 racks and install ThruPower modules for flexibility. It's basically a D20/R20 combo. This still won't give you 208V but you can turn any 120V channel into a relay on a whim.

Of course, doing this will eat up all the money you had for MLs but that would solve the 208v problem. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Replace your Sensor racks with Sensor3 racks and install ThruPower modules for flexibility. It's basically a D20/R20 combo. This still won't give you 208V but you can turn any 120V channel into a relay on a whim.

Of course, doing this will eat up all the money you had for MLs but that would solve the 208v problem. ;)

You don't have to replace the racks, just retrofit CEM3 and its new backplane in order to enable use of ThruPower modules.

ST

I thought I read that the ThruPower modules would work in pre-CEM3 racks by using the manual override switch on the module. No remote switching, but still the ability to have one dimmer and one constant circuit in a module.

-Todd

The limitation is in the control module, not the rack enclosure itself. Once a Sensor Classic or Sensor+ rack has been retrofitted with a CEM (and backplane and assorted small things that are in the kit), you are able to use all the features of the ThruPower module.

Edit: Todd, I see what you're getting at now...

Last edited:
The limitation is in the control module, not the rack enclosure itself. Once a Sensor Classic or Sensor+ rack has been retrofitted with a CEM (and backplane and assorted small things that are in the kit), you are able to use all the features of the ThruPower module.

Can a rack be retrofitted with AF cards in the field or does it need a new wiring harness?

Can a rack be retrofitted with AF cards in the field or does it need a new wiring harness?

It can be retrofitted with AF cards, but the dimmer modules would need to be AF modules (D20AF, R20AF, etc...). Otherwise, the AF cards wouldn't give you any additional advantage.

For the academic side of this discussion, let's talk about circuit breaker grading...

Generally speaking 2x is the minimum difference in protective device ratings to have a reasonable chance of the downstream most device being the one that trips.
So 20/15 = 1.3x = anyone's guess which one will trip on a fault...

For the academic side of this discussion, let's talk about circuit breaker grading...

Generally speaking 2x is the minimum difference in protective device ratings to have a reasonable chance of the downstream most device being the one that trips.
So 20/15 = 1.3x = anyone's guess which one will trip on a fault...

Hello Mr. 15;

Much, much more to consider, I guess it depends somewhat upon who's general is speaking.

Types of breakers; thermal trip, magnetic trip, ultra fast response, fast or intentionally slower/lagging.
Breakers designed to protect SCR's, TRIAC's, IGBT's.
Breakers intended to power motors, ignoring starting currents for a specified period of time.

Are both breakers passing the same load and only the same load, no additional loads on the larger breaker?
Are both breakers of the same basic type / classification?

Example: A 3P200 amp breaker supplying a three phase 200 amp panel may trip before a 1P15 if one or more phases of the panel are at 180, or more, amps when a heavy load, a dead short for instance, is suddenly applied to a 1P15 that was idling away at a couple of amps prior to the arrival of the dead short.
I'd be suspicious of any such generalisations.

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Here is one thing with ETC products, no matter how old they are (even if they were made by lighting methods, before ETC bought them out) ETC still supports the product and will help you get it working again. The whole design from the beginning of the sensor rack was to be modular to support module swapping and upgrades. Also beware of sales guys and consultants they love to sell you things you never know you needed and in actualitiy will ever need. There are lots of original CEM's out there working without any issues and will continue to for at least another 20+ years. Personally when I install movers we power them several ways. Connect a portable power distro to a company switch and run cable, install a panel board "breaker box" in the dimmer or electrical room and run conduit, sometimes they have extra conduit run which really drops expense, or what most schools like are 120v movers connected to cc modules then they can leave them off until they need them so they do not have to worry about students playing with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back