Turnstile set piece

kenact

Hi All,

I need some artistic design assistance.

I've been asked to create an effect that depicts a turnstile, like the picture I attached. The premise is, a person gets stuck in the turnstile.

I had been planning to build something similar to what's pictured, but today, the producer decided that it would be too big, and would only work if it can be completely removed from the stage. That's not going to happen, since it would be about 4 feet across, and would be a bear to move.

Does anyone hear have an artistic suggestion to present the idea of someone being stuck inside something like this? We go into tech on Monday. :(

Thanks,
Ken

Attachments

• Turnstile.jpg
    Turnstile.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 171
Google antique turnstile images. I thought something like this with a post or barrier opposite - with acting - might be effective.

1574284311394.png

Many subway systems use pairs of horizontally-shifting half height doors rather than turnstiles. Maybe a barrier of that sort would be more workable and give a plausible means to get stuck within.

My original idea was to build it out of 2x2 furring strip and 1x3 furring strip, and use a 1/2" ratchet as the turning mechanism. Cheap, relatively simple, but big. As I said, the person is actually supposed to be stuck, not able to go in either direction, until someone comes along to release him. The actor stuck in the turnstile needs to interact, physically with another actor on stage.

Bill Connor, thanks for the suggestion, that turnstile is nice, but they go for over $1,000, and I don't want the audience to get the idea that the actor is, in effect, stuck on an escalator.

If I build just 2 of the bar sets, hinge them to each other and to a flat, and paint the other half of the turnstile on the flat next to it, that might work.

To Me, the original pic says "I could get stuck in that". I would make that one but do it out of 2 or 3" PVC. As far as ratcheting and it actually not being able to turn in both directions I think that would be where the 'Acting' comes in. By the same token you could built the turnstile that Bill posted the same way A heating mat or a heat gun, some sand, PVC tube, and cement and you could build a very realistic turnstile for much less than you could buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back