Two articles on maturation of show technology--including a historic developmenttimeline

JohnHuntington

I spent my sabbatical last semester developing an idea I had long been kicking around--that we had reached a technological maturity point in our industry sometime in the last decade or so. Of course there will always be innovation, but it occurred to me that most of the big problems we had encountered during my career had been pretty well sorted out, and that things had settled down a bit. Gear, for example, is now starting to just wear out rather than go completely obsolete. We have 15-20 year old moving lights and powered speakers and other stuff at my school, for example, that--while we'd love to replace them--are still working fine. And the new models don't really offer any significant new functionality.

I wrote two big articles on the topic, the second one came out online this week, and I hope people will take a look. The article in Lighting and Sound America plots the technological development and its impact on the industry; the other in the USITT journal TD&T talks about this maturity's impact on education, and how things have changed since a 2002 article I wrote on the topic.

I have them both linked from my blog here:
http://controlgeek.net/blog/2019/9/4/articles-from-my-sabbatical-published

Thanks!

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back