Design two hoists with feed thru power at the same speed

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
On another project, I'm cursing but R&D'ing now, I have some pendant lights which are being both powered and rigged by way of two new fangled light duty hoists which also send 4 channels of 1/2 amp per channel 24vdc down the hoist cable ribbon wire power inside it. Hoist and LED control are both artnet. That's ok in that most pro-grade LED tape uses 24vdc, but way low on amperage for the same most modern 24vdc LED gear. Like pulling nails to get even that info out of the hoist supplier.

One would think this would be great! A hoist feeding power for four channels of 24v LED tape also at it's hook... or something. (Have not been provided info on how to mount yet, but they will adapt what they have for power to at least a 5-pin DMX plug.)

A specified voltage and amount of amperage seriously limits what I can do in lighting this unique pendant light. Doing this type of thing for concept seriously limits the flexibility of what you can do for a pendant light hung for it.

I had for the pendant a 12vdc firefly effect node string designed for the outer globe, a 400G30SP (400w) lamp at the center and a grenade of tightly wrapped RGBY LED tape in either 12vdc or 24vdc wrapping around the lamp socket housing covering assembly with a frosted polycarbonate lens over it. Than it all fell apart given the hoist manufacturer was totally against transforming down to 12vdc in that it might hurt the system should there be a problem. No 120v circuits or data for a decoder I designed into initial concept. Website implied also a line voltage circuit...

Would have been easier to have a hoist with data and power sent down thru it so I could figure out what I needed on the pendant light. Two days of waiting to get hoist specs., understanding the problem, 1/2 Amp at 24VDC power rating per channel, finding a 24VDC A-21 LED lamp with about at least 80w of actual incandescent power, but than finding it out of stock and also non-dimmable... whole crew of people searching the web for 24v x-mass light strings to replace what will have been better, more research into creating a ball of six dimmable BA-15d LED lamps in using the extra three 1/2 amp (12 watt) circuits so as to replace the concept of a 400watt lamp at the base of the grenade in making the base a separate or now three channel almost equivalent lamp, than the lamp socket assembly of the wrapped LED RGBA tape in the center of the light with a lens on it to mask the nodes - now not masked by the lower assembly of BA-15d lamps in a lower color temperature.

By the way, the industry does need to come up with a new Plug for say RGBY/W LED tape and or four color LED gear. I do not accept a 5-pin DMX plug as a power connector. 4-pin will accept 18ga wire, Speakon not really best but is used on 2-wire digital systems, but certainly not a 8-pole Speakon for five wire. Militstary type screw or bayonet screw connectors I looked into a little today but none really right. Need a connector for 18ga wire for RGBY/W LED tape cables.
Industry has advanced to RGB + White or Amber for LED tape. Need something for a standard which will fit 18ga at least wire for five conductors.

didn't mention two hoists used to power the pendant light.... running at the same speed, but the least of the problems in that a O'ring connection at least would solve that somewhat. Rigging the least of the problem but the base of the problem in how I wanted to design my pendant light.

Pictures? I’m having a hard time visualizing this completely.

It is interesting that you bring this up because I am just starting to test using pairs of our NanoWinches to lift a lighting payload with 8 channels of 24v pwm dimming. Suffice it to say, our LED department just does some creative stuff with 24v RGBW led ribbon (usually) to make the cores of the payload we use. I had wanted to change the winch design so we could send data down the ribbon, but no one was interested in re-designing the main board to include that functionality. Cool stuff though. Nothing like 11000 active axes in a show for a kinetic video display!

Curious to know whose winch you are using @ship .

5-pin 16ga Switchcraft Minicon plug is what I'm looking at for a plug type at the moment. Unfortunate all panel mounts are female and all in-line plugs are male, but at least it will be easier to not get mixed up with scroller cable that way as my 18/4 special LED cable often does.

Photos? still working on the prototype. Imagine a fiberglass bonded ducapage like outer globe with a Bulbrite firefly effect LED string: 10x 10' strings of 25 LED nodes. Runs 120v off a 120VAC to 12VDC transformer - in other words, really easy to plug into a DMX decoder for power assuming a 12vdc power supply. It is a really cool thing.

Inside the ball, currently is RGBA tape - laid it out today and only 3" of it wrapped around a 2.3/4" pipe given only 1/2 amp per channel = about 3.5 feet of LED tape. Ran the math twice and for a City Theatrical LED tape chosen, but another RGBA tape to compare it to is hopefully on the way. Under this frosted lens "grenade" of LED tape was to be a A-Lamp (E-26) type incandescent lamp, but now is three circuits of dual LED BA-15d lamps in a incandescent lamp color temperature for a combined but partially blocked cluster of lamps lumens of 2,100 Lumens. Six lamps, two per circuit at 350 lumens each. That's about the equivalent of a 800w Halogen lamp in output - and dimmable, but given a cluster of six lamps on three circuits, will be less intense to say the least given a cluster of them. Still should be bright in adding to the LED and fire fly effect for the pendant light. TBA on that cluster of lamps if I can do a nylon or some other plastic globe over them to mask the individual nodes of LED.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back