Two video signals, Two projectors, One computer?

We need to run two projectors with separate video signals and would like to do it from one computer. Is this possible?

We usually edit out video content with Final Cut and are considering purchasing Isadora to help with the running. Is there a way to do this without having to purchase an expensive mac tower?

Thanks!
Marv

As long as your compyter is powerful enough (it would have to be fairly powerful), and has enough video outputs (you may need to buy another video card) you should just be able to spawn 2 instances of your video player of choice (assuming it allows it, otherwise just use two different players) and drag them onto the second and third "monitors".

If you need audio out though, it may be tougher. You would have to use two separate audio cards and something like VLC where you can choose where the audio goes.

Matrox DualHead2Go is your friend. I think the vast majority of Izzy users have either that or the TripleHead2Go. I have a couple of the TH2Gs and they work great.

As long as your compyter is powerful enough (it would have to be fairly powerful), and has enough video outputs (you may need to buy another video card) you should just be able to spawn 2 instances of your video player of choice (assuming it allows it, otherwise just use two different players) and drag them onto the second and third "monitors".

If you need audio out though, it may be tougher. You would have to use two separate audio cards and something like VLC where you can choose where the audio goes.

The OP can't install an additional video card because they are using a Mac other than the Mac Pro. It is in their posting.

The OP can't install an additional video card because they are using a Mac other than the Mac Pro. It is in their posting.

Where, pray tell, is that "in their posting"?
We need to run two projectors with separate video signals and would like to do it from one computer. Is this possible?

We usually edit out video content with Final Cut and are considering purchasing Isadora to help with the running. Is there a way to do this without having to purchase an expensive mac tower?

It may be implicit by virtue of the software referred to, but that requires knowing that FCP is Mac (only) software...

Matrox DualHead2Go is your friend. I think the vast majority of Izzy users have either that or the TripleHead2Go. I have a couple of the TH2Gs and they work great.
Maybe that works or maybe not, depending on what is meant by "separate video signals". The DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go make multiple display devices appear as a single greater horizontal resolution display. I would not interpret making the two projectors act as one device as likely being what is wanted based on the comment about sending them two separate signals.

Maybe that works or maybe not, depending on what is meant by "separate video signals". The DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go make multiple display devices appear as a single greater horizontal resolution display. I would not interpret making the two projectors act as one device as likely being what is wanted based on the comment about sending them two separate signals.

While that is the mechanism by which the D/TH2G gets the video signal from the computer, Isadora has built in functionality that allows you to output video to half or a third of a screen with the specific goal of allowing the Matrox gear to let you output independent signals. I have used mine with TVs and projectors many times and given them entirely different content.

While that is the mechanism by which the D/TH2G gets the video signal from the computer, Isadora has built in functionality that allows you to output video to half or a third of a screen with the specific goal of allowing the Matrox gear to let you output independent signals. I have used mine with TVs and projectors many times and given them entirely different content.
So it sounds like your recommendation for the DH2G or TH2G is predicated on the assumption that they have Isadora, however I believe that the comment was that they "...are considering purchasing Isadora to help with the running." and not that they have it. Like I said, probably best to define what is really needed first.

Another thing, the DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go want to see identical resolutions and scan rates for all of the display devices connected, in this case the two projectors. DH2G and TH2G are also somewhat limited in the resolutions and scan rates they support, especially the VGA versions. This is usually not an issue but I just ran into a situation where someone was trying to connect two 1280x720 native flat panels and a 1024x768 native projector to a TripleHead2Go and I'm pretty sure that will not work.

Last edited:
So it sounds like your recommendation for the DH2G or TH2G is predicated on the assumption that they have Isadora, however I believe that the comment was that they "...are considering purchasing Isadora to help with the running." and not that they have it. Like I said, probably best to define what is really needed first.

Another thing, the DualHead2Go and TripleHead2Go want to see identical resolutions and scan rates for alof the display devices connected, in this case the two projectors. DH2G and TH2G are also somewhat limited in the resolutions and scan rates they support, especially the VGA versions. This is usually not an issue but I just ran into a situation where someone was trying to connect two 1280x720 native flat panels and a 1024x768 native projector to a TripleHead2Go and I'm pretty sure that will not work.

You are correct that I was assuming they were planning to use go through with their planned purchase of Isadora although there are several other programs that can offer similar functionality such as QLab, VPT, etc. As long as they aren't using PowerPoint or some other consumer grade playback application (Windows Media Player, Quicktime, etc) they should be able to make it work.

You are also correct about the limitations with the VGA version but no (recent) Macs have a VGA output and the Digital Edition is only slightly more money than the VGA version and supports full 1080P.

The need to match resolution is, IMO, the biggest downside to the Matrox stuff but there are workarounds using additional hardware between the Matrox and the projector/monitor.

If we are assuming the OP is a Mac user since they use FCP and specifically say they don't want to have to purchase a Mac Pro, the Matrox line is the only viable option I can think of that doesn't involve upgrading to a Mac Pro or switching to PCs. The USB and network based video cards aren't particularly reliable for anything but the weakest of media/projection applications and there isn't really anything else on the market as far as I can tell.

I think Qlab is a better option than Isadora, having both, its a lot easier to work with. Also Qlab costs a heck of a lot less (rent for a dollar a day at school, 3 bucks a day professionally). I believe that Qlab will allow you to work with a double or triple head in a similar but not identical way that Isadora does. Additionally, Catalyst can utilize the double or triple head, but will probably require a macpro.

To clarify, one of our projectors needs to project a live video feed plus effects from Isadora (which we are committed to buying). The other projectors will be projecting entirely different material that will at times act as lighting effects.

The question is, how do I do this from one computer? Right now we only have a an iMac with one video card. So, it seems like we need to buy a better computer (such as a quad core mac tower or something similar) or figure out a separate source to operate from. Money being tight, it's looking like I"m going to have to burn my effects to a disk and operate the second projector from a dvd player and just deal with the effects not being live or editable.

The need to match resolution is, IMO, the biggest downside to the Matrox stuff but there are workarounds using additional hardware between the Matrox and the projector/monitor.
Just FYI, I asked Matrox what they mean by the displays needing to "run at" the same resolution and pointed out the potential confusion with the terminology as a digital display will always 'run at' its native resolution, but they didn't seem to get that. However, they did confirm that what they mean is that all displays need to accept and display a common resolution and scan rate signal, from among those that the Matrox device supports, however they apparently do not need need to be the same native resolution.

Just FYI, I asked Matrox what they mean by the displays needing to "run at" the same resolution and pointed out the potential confusion with the terminology as a digital display will always 'run at' its native resolution, but they didn't seem to get that. However, they did confirm that what they mean is that all displays need to accept and display a common resolution and scan rate signal, from among those that the Matrox device supports, however they apparently do not need need to be the same native resolution.

it is an oddity of the matrox system, usually for instance in windows if you duplicate the display you are forced to set both monitors to the same resolution, but if you extend the desktop, you have the option to have different resolution settings. IMO the matrox unit simply does not have the logic and power to allow for different settings so they force the same setting.

Sharyn

it is an oddity of the matrox system, usually for instance in windows if you duplicate the display you are forced to set both monitors to the same resolution, but if you extend the desktop, you have the option to have different resolution settings. IMO the matrox unit simply does not have the logic and power to allow for different settings so they force the same setting.

Sharyn

The issue is that your computer is only outputting one monitor signal so it can only do that at one scan rate and vertical height. It isn't that the Matrox can't handle the processing, it is that their system is fundamentally incompatible with differing vertical resolutions since a computer can't output a single monitor signal with different resolutions for different parts of the monitor. Same net effect though, just nit picking.

To clarify, one of our projectors needs to project a live video feed plus effects from Isadora (which we are committed to buying). The other projectors will be projecting entirely different material that will at times act as lighting effects.

The question is, how do I do this from one computer? Right now we only have a an iMac with one video card. So, it seems like we need to buy a better computer (such as a quad core mac tower or something similar) or figure out a separate source to operate from. Money being tight, it's looking like I"m going to have to burn my effects to a disk and operate the second projector from a dvd player and just deal with the effects not being live or editable.

Wait so your using more than 2 projectors? Another option that you have is to run 2 computers at once, maybe a laptop or something, and you can fire them via MIDI or something together from one cue stack, then you can edit your cue stack and content and not have to worry about the DVD issue. However, yes, your ideal option is getting a bigger computer.

Or you can get a DualHead2Go. This is what the majority of multiple projector Isadora users do including Mark, the creator of the program. The manual for Izzy actually includes pretty specific instructions on configuring the stages for Dual/TripleHead2Go output.

Yep. Izzy w/ DHTG or THTG. Or get a mac mini, install izzy on both controller and mini, fire cues from izzy to the mini. Did that just sound funny? I do this all the time and the izzy forum/instructions are dead easy.

Kingcaffeine, welcome to the forum. I'm glad that you decided to join the conversation. If you could take the time to also jump over to the New Member forum and give us a formal introduction, that would be great. Also, since you seem to have experience with Isadora, maybe you could expand on how you would set this up with the OP's limitations.

With one computer, a non-Pro Mac, you will not be able to output 2 separate feeds. Unless you use the Matrox box. Even then, you'll need to use some sort of software (in this case Isadora) to parse the "monitor" feed to the correct screen percentages. Izzy is something like $350 and a DHTG is $200. That's the cheapest (except using a DVD...). Setup is exactly what metti said, easy and well documented.

A Mac mini would run $700 for new a little less used. Run the licensed version of Izzy on the iMac and the no-save version on the mini. A patch could be written for the mini which "listens" for OSC or TCP and any video /sound cue could be fired in relative sync with both machines. The patch for a single machine with a DHTG is a little more involved, but doable.

The thing to keep in mind is processor overhead. An iMac will strain with a DHTG with two separate feeds, one being "live video feed plus effects". By spreading the processing out over two, you'd definitely be able to run both feeds at closer to native res for the displays.

The other option would be to rent a Hippo from an AV provider and be done with the whole thing in one shot. I guess it depends on your 1. budget and 2. longer-term needs.

Hi,

I'm a video designer doing the same thing except with three projectors for a theatre production. I need to be able to project to three different projectors with different native resolutions, and would like the projection to be at the highest res possible for each projector. To complicate things - I'm looking for solutions to this - not sure if it's possible, but one of the projecors is a pico, and I'd like to transmit wireless video to it (I realize this may be difficult to gain the highest res in this case), and connect that projector to a live camera feed as well as projecting from Isadora or QLab, so I'll need some kind of switching solution. I have a year to set this up in an ideal way, but budget is a concern. We'll be doing workshops in the meantime to try and test things out so that the projection will be stable. In an ideal world, I would like to use one computer, because there'll be an as-yet unknown operator, and after install, I'd like things to be as simple as possible for the stage manager ad the operator, who'll likely run all cues for sound and image from one source, if possible. So while we rehearse, we'll use Isadora for exploring video live, and once we've settled on choices, we'll render effects in FCP and likely run Qlab for both sound and image. I've googled it, but what's a hippo? And in the mac mini scenario, what's OSC and TCP? How might you set this up?

With one computer, a non-Pro Mac, you will not be able to output 2 separate feeds. Unless you use the Matrox box. Even then, you'll need to use some sort of software (in this case Isadora) to parse the "monitor" feed to the correct screen percentages. Izzy is something like $350 and a DHTG is $200. That's the cheapest (except using a DVD...). Setup is exactly what metti said, easy and well documented.

A Mac mini would run $700 for new a little less used. Run the licensed version of Izzy on the iMac and the no-save version on the mini. A patch could be written for the mini which "listens" for OSC or TCP and any video /sound cue could be fired in relative sync with both machines. The patch for a single machine with a DHTG is a little more involved, but doable.

The thing to keep in mind is processor overhead. An iMac will strain with a DHTG with two separate feeds, one being "live video feed plus effects". By spreading the processing out over two, you'd definitely be able to run both feeds at closer to native res for the displays.

The other option would be to rent a Hippo from an AV provider and be done with the whole thing in one shot. I guess it depends on your 1. budget and 2. longer-term needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back