TX/RX Powered Bases (Audio)?

Eric Chalupka

Has anyone found/worked with a powered (non-battery) base TX/base RX audio system? I've done some looking, but haven't really found anything besides 1-base/1-pack sets. I'm in a situation where running an XLR is not possible between these two 75' locations, and need a reliable - all day (~10 Hour), non interrupted audio stream.

Thanks in advanced!

Has anyone found/worked with a powered (non-battery) base TX/base RX audio system? I've done some looking, but haven't really found anything besides 1-base/1-pack sets. I'm in a situation where running an XLR is not possible between these two 75' locations, and need a reliable - all day (~10 Hour), non interrupted audio stream.

Thanks in advanced!

Certain Shure IEM transmitters (1000 series, maybe 900 series too) and a couple models of Shure wireless mic receivers can be paired up to do exactly what you need (often for much greater distances). Shure has info on their website.

Certain Shure IEM transmitters (1000 series, maybe 900 series too) and a couple models of Shure wireless mic receivers can be paired up to do exactly what you need (often for much greater distances). Shure has info on their website.

I remember reading about this years ago. Back then it was with a ULX-P and a IEM system (forget the model, probably discontinued now) to do PTP wireless. I'm sure they have the same features with newer versions, though. They had some good documentation on their website, as some reconfiguration and "manual" settings were required. Shure tech support has always been pretty helpful for me, you could drop them a line if their "search" function doesn't work on their website.

And using $3000 worth of gear to replace a $50 cable - it's still RF with its attendant *potential* problems.

When I try to explain to clients that RF isn't as reliable as a copper wire they say "well it works on TV!" SMH.

A quick story - festival event on Wenger Showmobile (ugg), radio station promo artist wants to load stage at 10am and leave it up. I have 6 other acts to accommodate over the day. By the time we've got the deck loaded there is a 2x4ft space remaining DSR for the radio station emcees. A Festival Person come up to me and says "we need wireless mics for the emcees!" Mind you, there's no where for them to go except to stand in that 8 sf space... "Why?" I ask. "Because they're radio people!" Oh really? I point out there is nowhere for the radio people to go. "Well you didn't order the wireless mics so they'll have to be delivered from the shop; the price is $150/day each plus a $50 delivery charge. Please sign this change order, and it will take 30 minutes to get them here." "Oh, $350? Never mind."

It's not exactly that you get greater distance - though this is often the case because of the possibility for increased transmit power. On the Transmit side you have better filtering in a rack mount box than you do a tiny body pack transmitter. Additionally you can often transmit at higher powers (for Shure you can Tx at 100mW on a rack mount vs 10mW on a body pack, Sennheiser it's 250mW Rackmount, 50mW bodypack). On the receive side, you gain the benefit of having Diversity reception, unlike a standard body pack IEM receiver.

I remember reading about this years ago. Back then it was with a ULX-P and a IEM system (forget the model, probably discontinued now) to do PTP wireless. I'm sure they have the same features with newer versions, though. They had some good documentation on their website, as some reconfiguration and "manual" settings were required. Shure tech support has always been pretty helpful for me, you could drop them a line if their "search" function doesn't work on their website.

For Shure you can use the PSM900 series IEM Transmitter and the UHF-R receivers.

For Sennheiser you can mix and match the evolution wireless G4 Transmitters and Receivers (HDX Companding), the evolution wireless G3/G2/G1 Transmitters and Receivers (Hi-Dyn companding), and the 2000 Series with the G4. There is also a rack mount Transmitter in the 3000 series that you can use with EM3532/EM3732 receivers, it's not on their website but it does exist if you find one new, I've rented them plenty of times (Hi-Dyn Plus commanding). Really just pay attention to frequency range and companding scheme with any of the manufacturers and you're good to mix and match rack mount receivers vs transmitters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back