typical LED rig/inventory

Stuart R

Hello all,

I'm scheduled to have a chat with our ETC rep to talk about upgrading our desk from an Element to a Gio @5. I am also interested in getting a general idea of what will be involved in completing the transition from conventional to LED fixtures (we're about half and half now). Besides replacing the creaky Sensor+ dimmer tower with a panel of relays, I am wondering about my inventory of lighting instruments. I inherited a somewhat random mix of S4 Juniors, Altman 65Q fresnels, and various LED PARs. At the moment we have the following:
  • 20 Altman 65Q 6" Fresnels (750w)
  • 8 Blizzard LB PAR Quad LED PARs (25 degrees)
  • 3 Chauvet Maverick MK2 Profile LED moving lights
  • 6 Chauvet Ovation F415FC LED Fresnels
  • 6 Elation Elar FX Tribar LED strip lights
  • 14 ETC S4 Jr ERS in a variety of focus angles
  • 5 ETC S4 Lsutre + LED ERS 36 degrees
  • 2 Martin Mac Quantum Profile LED moving lights
  • 11 Tecshow PatriTec LED PARs
Some of these are DJ level lights (Blizzard, Tecshow). The S4s are Juniors and so can't be upgraded with LED engines. Any thoughts on what I should replace the 20 Altman 6" Fresnels with, and/or the 14 S4 Jrs?

First, it's a pretty small stage in a space with close in lighting positions, so the Fresnels have been handy. However, Fresnels aren't that popular any more in theatrical applications (though I really like the Chauvet Elations, they're MUCH more expensive than the old Altmans).

Then the S4 Juniors are rather anemic, in my opinion, but new LED S4s are like three times the price.

I also am tired of our Elation Elar Tribar LED strip lights, which we use for a non-curved cyc. They just seem weak and don't provide very even coverage, so those seem ripe for replacement too if I can get the funding.

Anyway, I'd like to come up with a 3-year plan for replacing the Fresnels and S4 Jrs with LEDs, as well as swapping out the Elation strips, and would appreciate your advice.

Be aware that ETC recently announced a Jr LED unit ( colorsource emotters ) . Extremely cost effective for an LED. They also have a new fresnel fixture that uses their new 8 color array.

And fresnel adapters are available for the spot arrays. If you're buying purposefully for installation, the dedicated fresnels are better than the adapters. We use them extensively in rental inventory swapping between a few body types.

As with any major project, keep your larger goals in mind. Why are you upgrading? What differences are you hoping to make for your program? In my world 'newer technology' is a means, not a goal. Lower costs, faster turn arounds, greater artistic range are common goals.

I'm not impressed with any ETC fresnel. The latest is really TV/film oriented. PARs with plenty of diffusion choices seems more practical.

For that matter I haven't found a favorite LED fresnel for under $1500. Those 65Q units will do quite well for decades and still be cheaper, if you have the dimmers already. I don't have any issues with a hybrid system!

And fresnel adapters are available for the spot arrays. If you're buying purposefully for installation, the dedicated fresnels are better than the adapters. We use them extensively in rental inventory swapping between a few body types.
I’m confused. by “we use them extensively” are you refer to adapters?

As with any major project, keep your larger goals in mind. Why are you upgrading? What differences are you hoping to make for your program? In my world 'newer technology' is a means, not a goal. Lower costs, faster turn arounds, greater artistic range are common goals.

I'm not impressed with any ETC fresnel. The latest is really TV/film oriented. PARs with plenty of diffusion choices seems more practical.

For that matter I haven't found a favorite LED fresnel for under $1500. Those 65Q units will do quite well for decades and still be cheaper, if you have the dimmers already. I don't have any issues with a hybrid system!
I'll 2nd this. I love LED fixtures in certain applications but most of the time, if the space is already outfitted and operational, the additional fixtures have the +1 of a flexible hang location.

A theatre I worked in consistantly always did A Christmas Carol with the same set every year.
At some point they decided to build over the 1st row of the audience and added a pipe and base position in the audience for a twin spin.
Replacing that fixture with anything else was a huge boon, realizing it could be hot and burn someone, it could be smaller and have a set piece designed around it or moving and be used for more than the it's one intention was huge for the director who loved the effect but hated seeing the light.

Another application at the same theatre was the balcony rail lighting position. Most often it was just 4 2k fresnels in red used as a curtain warmer. Because of their precarious position, relamping and changing gels was a total pain, so they would only let senior staff do it. Finally replacing those positions with Altman Spectra PARs was amazing and meant they could be used for all the things besides being just a curtain warmer.

I guess what I'm getting at is LED replacement means more in some situations and is bleh is others.
Try to upgrade those that give you more flexibility first.

I’m confused. by “we use them extensively” are you refer to adapters?
Yes, the adapters. I shipped about 60 of them this week. It takes away your hard edge spot, but gives a really nice punchy output that's easy to control.

But again, my use case as a rental house is a lot different than an installation. You'd have to be moving around fixtures and swapping needs pretty often for it to be the best choice for a permanent rig. Colorsource Par, pound for pound, is a hell of a fixture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back