U2 Concert Lights Image

Hughesie

Hey all thought you might be interested in this image, i have no question about it, i just think you would find it interesting.

proxy.php

edit: that doesn't look like sound, there appears to be a hog to his right hand side and the desk is another.....HOG oh dear, i found the image listed as u2 sound but it's lighting, it all makes sense now

Last edited:
Re: U2 Concert Sound Image

This should probably have been in lighting 'cause it's a picture of the lighting rig (looks likea Hog3) and of the sweet lighting on the stage. However, I do see a midi keyboard over to the left of the picture...I wonder what that's for. I know that some bands have backing keys done from FOH or from under the stage, and I know that some folks use a midi keyboard to trigger cues. Hmmm...any thoughts, folks?

My only thought about it is, OMG THATS COOL!

i saw that to, well i have an article on the subject, somewhere

but from what i can remember the lighting could be controlled by either the normal operator or the lighting designer (willie nelson)

just add that to the mix

It also looks like one of the two Hogs is controlling projections, or a media server. If you look at the display in the right of the photo it has 4 camera feeds coming in.

yeah but i thought that might be so that the Lighting tech could see how much light he had on all the band members, meh it's an idea

U2 was/is one of the huge pioneers in live concert video. Or, more to the point, Willie Nelson is a huge pioneer in live concert video.

the special effects were amazing, simply breath taking

Here is where I am gonna earn my props... :)

A friend of mine is on the lighting crew. His name is Chad Peters and I think that they created him from spare parts at High End Systems. He has been involved in moving lights since they first came out. Back in the day he did lighting for a local band that blew and his show was out of the box for the early 90's.

I am sure that all of the lighting geeks are going to drool over this. I know I did when he was sending me the pics.

http://www.chadpeters.com/U2tour.html

Hey it's driving me absoulutely crazy trying to figure out where in the world I saw your friend Chad Peters about a year ago. It wasn't with U2 he was out with prg still I believe it was a Vari Lite tour. But, I can't for the life of me remember what his name is. ohhh lord.......

Hey it's driving me absoulutely crazy trying to figure out where in the world I saw your friend Chad Peters about a year ago. It wasn't with U2 he was out with prg still I believe it was a Vari Lite tour. But, I can't for the life of me remember what his name is. ohhh lord.......

No telling. The dude gets around quite a bit. His latest email has him out with a band called Paramore. He's doing some funky stuff with an Axom media server. Knowing him, it surely is going to be unique.

kw

Here is where I am gonna earn my props... :)
A friend of mine is on the lighting crew. His name is Chad Peters and I think that they created him from spare parts at High End Systems. He has been involved in moving lights since they first came out. Back in the day he did lighting for a local band that blew and his show was out of the box for the early 90's.
I am sure that all of the lighting geeks are going to drool over this. I know I did when he was sending me the pics.
http://www.chadpeters.com/U2tour.html

That "Cable Lay" picture is fantastic! Crazy, but fantastic! Burned in my mind now!

a little late, but I am pretty sure the console is a RoadHog.

I just accidentally rented one (thought I was getting an express 250, got a roadhog instead). Oops.....

The coolest thing is that you can input the gel stock number (Rosco 86, or Apollo 8600) and the console will set the CMY to that color. We had a couple of dozen Mac 700's hanging and this was a GREAT feature!

ohhhh....Isn't U2 supposed to be Eco-Friendly. Looks pretty energy wasteful to me!

Last edited:
To me, the board in front of the op looked like a Maxxyz. That cable run was SICK. Also, It's ok to let the head of a moving light get wet, but not the base(Obviously). Can't the head get messed up? In all, the pics were awesome. This is actually what I really want to do for a living. Once I'm out of college, not that I'm in yet, I want to be an LD. Bu I really want to handle the lights, too, and run the board. Oh the possibilities!

This is actually what I really want to do for a living. Once I'm out of college, not that I'm in yet, I want to be an LD. Bu I really want to handle the lights, too, and run the board. Oh the possibilities!

Ummmm... It's ok if you don't mind working 24 hours a day 7 days a week for a few years.. Oh yea, and having people say "No way I'm climbing up there!" to you all the time. It's actually very exciting, but it does age you about two years for each one that passes.... I spent about 15 years on the road. I remember a 90 city in 90 days stretch that about killed me. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat! Best recommended between the ages of 20 and 30. (long long time ago for me.) Still, the stories you can tell will last you the rest of your life! (of course no one will believe them though!)

As far as U2's carbon footprint... Wasn't that the "Big Foot" tour? ;)

EDIT:
As far as the movers go, no, not ok to get any part wet! (There is more electronics in the base.) Problem is, life doesn't follow the manufacturer's instructions. You do everything you can, but the world of outdoor concerts requires you to have mud slung in your face once in a while. I remember watching in horror as a fierce storm hit a show I was doing on an island near Harrisburg PA. (Up the river from TMI) We were supplying four Super Troupers. I watched the top level of a scaffold (NOT supplied by me) lift off and drop two of them 30 feet down, right on top of the sound and lighting boards. Two of my guys with them. Three broken ribs. Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you.

Last edited:
no....it's a roadhog. The four buttons that diagonally surround the trackball give it away. <p>

And I agree with JD. I have not toured as much, but I am finally getting out of the 24 hours a day, 7 days a week thing (sort of). With a new baby at home, the priorities change. Now, it is how much money can I make in the shortest time, thus leaving me free time. (Mercenary LD, gotta love it!!!!)

Last edited:
The "cable lay" picture is something. Too bad the 5wire set on the left couldn't have been on the right, thus preventing the "fly-over." I suspect it is the product of CAT Power--they are very particularly about their cable paths, not that everyone shouldn't be, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back