U2 Question (s)

Hughesie

I want to what is the diffirent between a normal sound desk and a moniter desk

and how do you use a Yamaha o2r as a communications consolde?

please help

1. A monitor console simply has more auxes/mix outs. Many monitor consoles don't have VCAs (ie. Midas Sienna, in place of the VCAs, it has mute groups). Aux masters are controlled by faders all the time in monitor mixing, unlike the knobs that are more common on the vast majority of front of house consoles. What else do you want to know about them?

2. I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

well a magazine i am reading about the technical setup of u2 says they used a ATI Paragon II combined with another D5 Live (other than the FOH there using)

and a Yamaha O2R which apparently creates comunication mixes for the stage crew

also how do you to a rock concert get checked for bombs and manage to still get in with
OKMII Mics & a Sony M1 DAT Recorder????????
and then manage to get a great sound out of it

(backstory: a guy took in all this and recorder the concert and then uploaded it to the internet, i downloaded it thinking i would be at least able to hear bono's voice during my favorite song, but i was wrong this guy did a great job either those mic's are really good or he took it off the sound desk

here is a sample "vertigo" from the concert recorded by a guy called blackout

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/231233/Vertigo.mp3

Last edited:
Or you can get a U2 concert the legal way and pay $15 and buy the DVD.

As for a desk for comms, I don't know how that'd work. I know coms carries voltage (different than what drives the speaker and mic, I mean straight DC). I should think that'd fry the board's pre's. Where'd you find where it said that? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I didn't think they did that, unless it was to mix down a few select stage mics for a program mix for comms.

1. i have bought the dvd (except it's in chicargo) and i am about to buy their new cd i just wanted to hear the concert again to bring back the memories

2.the thing is from January's CX Magazine it says "and a yamaha 02r which generates a comunications feed for the stage crew
i think it might just be a monitor consolde for the crew (maybe not only guitar but vocals also and capcity to put a microphone over it for the crew to hear what they need to do)

but my other question still remains

HOW DID HE GET SUCH GREAT QUALITY?

I didn't mean to be offensive. My apologies if it seemed that way. Anyway, for the "monitor console for crew", that's exactly what I was thinking. Heck, It may get submixed feeds from the other mon consoles, ie drums, keyboards, stuff like that, then is mixed down on the Yammi.

As for the quality question, maybe he knows Joe O'Herlihy.

no he the info file that came with the flac files (god i hate those files)

said he was 10m's from the rear satelittle speakers he said he had a portable eq with him and he found the sweetspot

this guy was serious

also sorry to you eboy my reply was rude

i love u2 soo much i really wanted to hear what it sounded like i have bought all their albums before and im only buy u218 because i stole this concert like this

Have not Worked with U2 but from experience with a few other mega bands, the stage and crew operation is a lot more complex than what you might imagine.

A lot of the bands are going with relatively low levels of actual sound on stage, (you would be amazed how many time the big amp stacks are not really outputting ANYTHING, and it is all coming thru the PA, and also that all the effects etc are being controlled centrally. One of the megabands has a pit area in the middle of the stage where the techs run most of the stuff for the band.
\
So the 02r is being used to create a special monitor feed for the support crew that is very different than the artists on stage, and FOH, typically it is taken from the subs on the main FOH mixer.

If you are at a concert that has delayed speakers out in the audience for better coverage, you can get quite a good pick up from them with a relatively decent mic setup, you are far enougth away from the foh speakers, but you are time aligned to that the FOH sound is not going to conflict

How do you get in with the gear ;-)

Most use hidden mics that come up throught their shirt, and are attached to a baseball cap they wear. The recorder is usually placed inside their jeans along with having a large metal belt buckle in close proximity of the recorder. It is the old have something obvious that distracts the person doing the checking. Most security crews at Concerts are not overly watchfull

Obviously some of the bands at one time offered board feeds, and board tapes were the rage, now some of the megas' have a full protools rig running, with a dedicated mix going on back stage off in the venue, and by the time the concert is over the have compressed it, and uploaded it to the bands website for quick purchase, after bands realized that people did like to have a copy of the exact concert they went to

Sharyn

OK Hughesie, I'm now going to have to look up that edition when I get home...
On 3 pin comms (at least down here), pin 1 is ground, pin 2 is +30 volts (or is it 36 - can't remember) pin 3 is the audio line. No idea how multi channel beltpacks work...

ok thanks and look up that article it is rather intresting

couple of points

All the comms systems like clearcom etc all have the ability to add a program feed, so if the comms remark was infact related to actually to a program feed, the 02r's could be mixing down this signal

There is a 30 volt dc signal for power

Clearcom has to systems for two channel com, one is simply going with a 5 wire connection, with the other two wires for the additional audio, or they also have a system that has two feeds on the same system, it does this by adding the additional audio to the power line, using a blocking system to split off the power and the audio. http://www.clearcom.com/Products/party-line/partyline_index.html

Sharyn

Last edited:
they also have a system that has two feeds on the same system, it does this by adding the additional audio to the power line, using a blocking system to split off the power and the audio. Sharyn

Would that work like phantom power? Put +x volts on one lead, -x volts on the other, and getting the power by sending it to ground, then use a transformer to keep the DC power from making it to the circuitry inside the board, or in this case, the clear com pack?

Sorry for the slight topic swerve, I find these things fascinating.

Trick is it is DC so easy to filter out, but yes all these power over signal systems put a power signal and then filter out the power to retrieve the signal you want. Very similar to phantom power.

the audio is not balanced on the clearcom, so one line is audio, one line is 30volts dc and the other is the ground/shield for both, since both signals reference the ground, so in the simple system they connect the dc line and ground for power, and the audio line and ground for audio. The did the clever bit when they wanted to run two audio channels and still use the same 3 wire connection, you get this little adaptor, and a special version of the belt pack to run this way.

Because of how this stuff is grounded etc, I typically keep it out of the foh console even if it supports com, and keep it out of the snake with mic channels, if is typically not a problem with line level stuff, but does cause problems if you try to use a mic line in your main snake. Usually we run the com as part of a multi that has video and com only and keep the clearcom lines out of the audio system entirely

You will keep seeing me in my various posts take a position that is maybe a bit more conservative on combining stuff, using balanced lines, transformers etc, reason is in the more pro setups you simply don't want to waste time trying to chase down a problem if you can avoid it in the first place.

Sharyn

You will keep seeing me in my various posts take a position that is maybe a bit more conservative on combining stuff, using balanced lines, transformers etc, reason is in the more pro setups you simply don't want to waste time trying to chase down a problem if you can avoid it in the first place.
Sharyn

Amen to that. Nothing worse than trying track down an elusive gremlin that pops up 5 minutes before curtain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back