Ultimate Focus Tool by Stagejunk Demo

I have the Mega-Combo as well, but never can go without my c-wrench. There's always some gorilla that has gone before me and over-tightened some bolt. I also bring along my lightspeed wrench when doing large hangs as it tends to speed things up. I find it unnecessary at times that I only have a few fixtures or maintenance.

Until the price comes down, I'll be avoiding the ultimate focus tool.

YES YES YES!

The Clamp Stik Wrench is my favorite "specialty" wrench thus far! Great price, and stainless steel to boot!

The Mega Combo, while I love it, and it's great to have on you for the unexpected lighting adjustment, can't handle those Gorilla'd bolts. I want a whole freaking box of them for my space, and then hide the c-wrenches, muwahahaha. Also, there has to be some way to design a bottle opener into that thing.

I have no interesting in a Lightspeed, and see no Ultimate Focus Tool in my future. However, the "Standard Focus Tool", sans tester or splitter, is $40. Maybe.

But ya know, at the end of the day, what stays with me? A c-wrench.

We're buying a bunch of them and getting them engraved with our theatre logo. Our future rookies will earn one when they finish their apprenticeship.

How much $$$ and in what quantity?

I don't have a good answer for you since we're still setting up the apprenticeship program.

Our initial quantity will be around 20, or however many come in a box. We have a good working relationship with our regular suppliers so I expect under $10 CAD and likely less than that. I have connections with local trophy shops who will handle the engraving.

Thank you for this post! our lighting department has one which we formerly called the "God Wrench" but our director has decided that the term, like god mic, was religious intolerant and we have been attempting to rename it (we have already named the god mic the g.o.d. mic or general omni directional mic) and i can now use the real name!

i'm not sure how religious intollerant it is, I'd be more apt to teaching my students proper terms than worry about what little timmy tells his mommy that I told him its a "god mic". Although I'd like one, I'll stick with my cheap old C-Hammer any day...

If its not a god mic than what is it?

well i know the changes occured after someone complained. We were joking, the general omni directional mic term was just our excuse when we slipped up and used the term (after years of hearing it)

You could just spell it backwards... never mind I'm jest barking up the wrong tree...again.

Either call it by it's correct name: Talk Back Mic
or use it's industry wide accepted slang term: God Mic

You are doing a disservice to your education using incorrect terminology. If someone was offended by the use of the term God Mic they are definitely in the wrong industry/class.

Since this thread has come back up to the top, I was curious about this wrench, but alas, it seems to be no more. I did find this at Tools for stagecraft:

gator grip, lightspeed wrench, putz wrench, wing nut wrench, mega handle mega combo wrench
You have to scroll down to "wing nut wrench". Is this what you are talking about?
I did pick up one of these, what is the community opinion, just a gizmo or a useful tool?
Focus Tool, Flat | Stage & Theatre Supply Store | PNTA

...I did pick up one of these, what is the community opinion, just a gizmo or a useful tool?
Consensus is, most people love it. See the thread http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/ldi-2010/22056-video-stage-junks-new-flat-focus-tool.html .

As for the TFS wing nut wrench, I have a Stage Stik, but never found it useful enough to carry. It was steel, and thus heavy, and pretty much a unitasker. Probably mostly out of habit, I instinctively reach for my c-wrench when going after bolts and nuts, only using the UFT, Altman wrench, or other, for wing nuts, Tee handle s, or whatever specific purpose.

-----
Either call it by it's correct name: Talk Back Mic
or use it's industry wide accepted slang term: God Mic
And/OR announce mic, director's mic.

Last edited:
Since this thread has come back up to the top, I was curious about this wrench, but alas, it seems to be no more.

It's certainly isn't "too late" to buy one. That's it and that dealer, PNTA, is my local Seattle dealer so that's a nice safe place to buy one without worry of getting ripped off. They are also available several other places. Here's the link to the manufacturer's page.

I love it. My only complaint is the location of the ring for putting it on a belt loop, but I've posted about my solution to that in other threads. Working in a typical educational theater I have yet to run into a situation where I can't get the job done with my flat focus tool and have to go get my C-wrench. If I worked in a big road facility like Derek I can see how there would be issues, but in a theater where you are just moving around your typical Etc/Strand/Selecon/Altman conventional fixtures... it's perfect.

Last edited:
Gaff, he was referring to the Clamp Stick Wrench, which is discontinued, and essentially replaced in function by the UFT/RFT.

So here I am, three years later, eating my words. I DO now own a UFT, which I picked up at USITT for far less than $100. I'm definitely a fan, and it was the pin splitter and tester that sold me on it in use. Now that I've graduated and have started life as a freelance technician using public transport to get from gig to gig there are 5 wrenches in my bag: Crescent 6" wide jaw, Channellock 6" super wide jaw (opens like a 10"), the UFT, and two Gearwrench Quadbox dual box end ratchets.

Since this thread has come back up to the top, I was curious about this wrench, but alas, it seems to be no more. I did find this at Tools for stagecraft:

gator grip, lightspeed wrench, putz wrench, wing nut wrench, mega handle mega combo wrench
You have to scroll down to "wing nut wrench". Is this what you are talking about?
I did pick up one of these, what is the community opinion, just a gizmo or a useful tool?

I've been converted to the flat focus tool now, the old "clamp stik wrench" kicks around in the bottom of my bag, but I haven't touched it in ages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back