Un-warping masonite

MarshallPope

So, I have some maso hollywood flats that were not back-painted. Presumably due to humidity, the maso has started to bubble out. Any suggestions on returning them to a more flat-like shape?

Paint the other side?
I already painted the back of the one that was the least bowed, to see if it will do anything to help. Just waiting on that to dry/set for a while.

Unfortunately probably not. We had to throw out a whole set of flats done like that for a museum because they weren't back painted in time and racked the whole frame. We had to toss and rebuild them. But then again the client and our standards were what wouldn't allow it. Depending on how bad the warp is and if you could square them back up when attaching to others, they may still be salvageable. You might try back painting them and then stacking them on top of each other so their own weight forces them to dry flat, but use wax paper or something in between them so they don't stick to each other

Sounds like just the maso skin is bulging out, with the high spot probably in the middle of the span between toggles? Rather than the whole frame twisting? I would add more toggles at the high spots...

To build on josh88's idea, possibly spray the whole thing down with water, then place face down on a firm flat surface and weight the living heck out of facing and frame with stage weights? As it drys, maybe it'll take on the desired shape?

As a brief update, once it stopped raining for a few days and the humidity lessened, the bulges have mostly receded. I'm backpainting the maso and will see what happens.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

As a brief update, once it stopped raining for a few days and the humidity lessened, the bulges have mostly receded. I'm backpainting the maso and will see what happens.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Yeah - west Texas climate. Just took you a while to achieve that.

BTW - is this I presume 1/8" or perhaps 1/4"? Tempered?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back