Unconventional support for Triscuits

setbldr

I have inherited a triscuit inventory with a new job and would like to use it because I don't have the space to store 2x4 framed platforms. However, I don't have a lot of experience with them. I am wanting to build a 12' x 12' platform at a height of 8' and support it with 2" lead pipe instead of a stud wall. Is this possible? Can I put a short stud wall on it as a stiffener and then support the whole thing with 9 pipes? Will this work structurally enough to support 10 or so high school aged people on it?

I think if you are framing in 2x4, you would need a leg at least every 4' on center, so that's 16 legs. plus a lot of cross-bracing. If there are going to be 10 people up there doing who knows what, I would go with 2x6 framing. Pipe legs would be a hassle... how are you going to attach them to the frame and then how are you going to cross-brace them? Surely you mean standard 1.5" iron pipe and not "2" lead pipe"?
As discussed in another thread, it might be more practical to rent scaffolding and set a 2x6 framed platform on top of that, given you are fairly tall at 8'.

I think if you are framing in 2x4, you would need a leg at least every 4' on center, so that's 16 legs. plus a lot of cross-bracing. If there are going to be 10 people up there doing who knows what, I would go with 2x6 framing. Pipe legs would be a hassle... how are you going to attach them to the frame and then how are you going to cross-brace them? Surely you mean standard 1.5" iron pipe and not "2" lead pipe"?
As discussed in another thread, it might be more practical to rent scaffolding and set a 2x6 framed platform on top of that, given you are fairly tall at 8'.
I appreciate your reply. I had originally thought that I should think of it as a home deck and set it to 2x6. I really need the cylindrical look for the supports and I want to see the back wall. I didn't completely explain that the backside of the platform will be attached to the back wall of our theater. Yes, I revised my posting a couple of times and just missed that. It is 1 1/2" threaded pipe. I was planning to attach flanges to the platform as well as the stage. I'm pretty busy so if you have more questions or comments I can try to explain what I'm thinking as soon as I can. I do appreciate talking this through with someone.

You have to think of design a bit differently when dealing with triscuits. They can work very well if you know how to work with them. You only need to support two sides of the triscuit, the other two sides can float. So, for this you would need 5 12' beams that would run US/DS. You could then build 2 beams to run SL/SR on the upstage and downstage sides if you want a more open space. How you support that all will be your choice. Stronger beams, less legs needed. It all really just depends on what you want to do. Triscuits can be pretty awesome but they do present some design challenges.

You have to think of design a bit differently when dealing with triscuits. They can work very well if you know how to work with them. You only need to support two sides of the triscuit, the other two sides can float. So, for this you would need 5 12' beams that would run US/DS. You could then build 2 beams to run SL/SR on the upstage and downstage sides if you want a more open space. How you support that all will be your choice. Stronger beams, less legs needed. It all really just depends on what you want to do. Triscuits can be pretty awesome but they do present some design challenges.
Awesome! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back