Understanding Intercom

Brian_M

Currently in school, and working on a final project. I'm trying to understand some of the logic on my own so bear with me...

As a group we are attempting to create an intercom for our school tv production. We are not a glitzy school so it looks like we are working with some gently used equipment. We have an Adam frame with one AIO card, 2 fiber cards, and a few keypanels. I'm trying to follow what I've read online from RTS and Comms Guy, but I think the fiber cards are throwing me off. Just to be clear my setup is Frame>Fiber Card>Fiber Card>Keypanel. The fiber cards look exactly the same... 7707IT8.

I can manage to get a DB9 cable from the adam to a keypanel (not using the fiber cards) to successfully work. But not on the other side of the card. Something must change with inputs/outputs, I'm guessing. There doesn't seem to be a guide combining these two brands. How can I wirie db9 adam side to fiber pins, and fiber pins to rj12 keypanel side?

Thanks in advance.

You may have better luck over at the Wireless and Communications forum at http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php.
You will have to register but it's worth it. Just be sure to "use your real name" as they are sticklers for that.
@Brian_M Over on ProSound you'll find at least three members who do serious comm's work on productions like the Olympics, New Year's Eve from Times Square and several of the late night U.S national television shows; Mac and several of his mates pull together intercom systems that literally span the globe.
As @microstar cautioned, ProSound is REAL NAMES ONLY, if your name doesn't match your e-mail you'll be CRUCIFIED prior to burnt and urinated upon.
Get over their rigid 'real names ONLY' policy; you'll meet a great many truly serious experts. They even let @TimMc post there, but only under his real name.
Two my knowledge, there are only two posters who aren't using their real names, you have to hang there for more than two decades to catch onto this and I'd be shot if I even thought of hinting who they are.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Yeah, real names are required to POST on the PSW Live Audio Board and its subforums, but not in the recording or house of worship forums. There is a LAB subforum dedicated to intercoms and wireless IEM/mics/IFB - the heavy lifters there are Pete Best, Ike Zimble, Henry Cohen, and Mac Kerr. https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/board,83.0.html

Based on the OPs topic, I'd say the Adam system is overkill for the application and a simple "party line" intercom would suffice, requiring almost zero brain power to install, implement or use.

do you really need to use fiber? the db9 analog connection can be at least 1000ft long, maybe longer. in any event, the evertz fiber cards can be used with several types of systems so they need to be set up to use rs-485 data and 4W matrix audio to work with the ADAM. you also need to be sure the optical connections on the cards are inverse wavelengths at each end or they won't connect at all. the data path is bidirectional, but the audio is not so you will have to be sure that the matrix talk goes in the card input at that end, and the panel talk goes into the input on the other card.

Currently in school, and working on a final project. I'm trying to understand some of the logic on my own so bear with me...

As a group we are attempting to create an intercom for our school tv production. We are not a glitzy school so it looks like we are working with some gently used equipment. We have an Adam frame with one AIO card, 2 fiber cards, and a few keypanels. I'm trying to follow what I've read online from RTS and Comms Guy, but I think the fiber cards are throwing me off. Just to be clear my setup is Frame>Fiber Card>Fiber Card>Keypanel. The fiber cards look exactly the same... 7707IT8.

I can manage to get a DB9 cable from the adam to a keypanel (not using the fiber cards) to successfully work. But not on the other side of the card. Something must change with inputs/outputs, I'm guessing. There doesn't seem to be a guide combining these two brands. How can I wirie db9 adam side to fiber pins, and fiber pins to rj12 keypanel side?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply. If it's cool, I will do a sketch out and repost here. Will have to document it anyway. I love this stuff but sometimes it seems either overly complicated or too simple.

Here is my "sketch" - Hopefully this clears things up. I didn't indicate data, because I know what I've done for that works at least.

Attachments

• Wiring Plan.jpg
    Wiring Plan.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 297

Users who are viewing this thread

Back