Unison Lighting Control system Wiring

hamlett22

I have a Unison lighting controller that operates our work lights for daily Theatre usage. The cable got pulled out of the connector and I am trying to figure out which color cable goes into which pin. See attached pics. Based on the solder on pins 1 and 5, it looks like only two wires were connected. There are six wires in the cable. Any idea which color goes into which pin?

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 256
  • Unknown-2.jpeg
    Unknown-2.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 269
  • Unknown-3.jpeg
    Unknown-3.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 232
  • Unknown-4.jpeg
    Unknown-4.jpeg
    489.6 KB · Views: 269
  • Unknown-5.jpeg
    Unknown-5.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 264
  • Unknown-6.jpeg
    Unknown-6.jpeg
    423.1 KB · Views: 239
  • Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 247
That station doesn't require the 24VDC AUX power wires (or 12VDC if it's actually old enough to match the drawing Brucek found), so at most it only needs four wires instead of six. You can see the other two wires zip-tied off inside the station. A clever person might have been inclined to wire the 5-pin connector with pins 1-4 matching the standard 6-pin version... With solder only on pins 1 & 5 it looks like someone decided to be creative instead of consistent, so your best bet is to pull the corresponding plugin station off the wall to see how that connector is wired and make this one match.

Oh, and it's entirely possible that only the two ULP wires (the black/white pair normally on pins 1&2) were actually used. Given that it's using a non-standard connector, it's likely that "One Touch" is not connected to anything on the other end. That's fine because that feature is just used to allow the portable station to control different things when you plug it in at different locations if the system is programmed that way. ULP is polarity-free, so it doesn't matter which way you connect those two wires.

FWIW The large electrolytic capacitor in jpeg4 looks like it is bulging at the top. I would replace it while you have access to that pc board.

Unison stations need 3 wires. If there is not some sort of static discharge path then you can remotely reboot the main processor.

I concur that someone substituted 5 pin for 6 pin. I believe the main reason for 6 pin is to prevent cross plugging.

That wire also does not look like any variety accepted by ETC. It looks like DMX wire! Strange methods can work in limited cases, but be on the lookout for more strangeness!

Hi.... It additionally seems like an issue with the manner in which it's modified in LightManager; you can email ETC your config record and mention to them what the issue is and they will fix it and email it back. I can't address the expense or time period of this, however it is conceivable. In principle, you ought to possibly need to reload the first programming on the off chance that you've made changes to Unison

Users who are viewing this thread

Back