University Research - Communication

JMould

Hello all, as part of my final year project for my degree I have been tasked with developing a product for the live event production market. My team have created this survey to gather opinions on communication between production staff at events and in venues. We would be very grateful if you could take 3-5 minutes to answer. Thank you.

https://goo.gl/forms/qJ1iTuiHPy0oMC5k1

I'm going to be honest here...the best products provide answers to burning questions. It seems like you guys don't know what question you're answering and are in search of one.

Really? It seems at least to me like they already have most of a product in mind, they seem to be checking around to make sure it does indeed solve a burning problem.

In your survey, you mention built-in cuing tools. These would be indispensable if a given network (it does sound IP based) has too high a delay for dependable timing.

I'm going to agree with both themuzicman and EdSavoie... I see a product that you have an idea for but don't think you guys really know what you're going to do with the product. If it was just for communication, why are you putting power calculations and aspect ratios into it? Is this for use during events, or pre-production planning? And why would I want both of these features at the same time? Sure I sometimes need to calculate my power draw, but you can do that with the calculator on your phone, an amp clamp, or pen and paper. Why would I want that built into my com?

For example, when has anyone picked up a com beltpack and thought "I need to calculate an aspect ratio with this..."? I hope never...

File sharing and crew directories could be really cool features, but there are thousands of ways of handling these tasks.

I almost see a cool product, but I don't know what you're trying to do with it, or what problem it's trying to solve.

I will agree with what's above and add...

It looks like you're considering an all 1 in solution? I do like the sound of that idea, but at the same time I'm also a fan of backups. If my com goes down maybe I have a cue light, a walkie, a wired backup to my wireless? Having other options always gives me that warm fuzzy feeling of a security blanket.

There are also a lot of solutions that exist in regards to the questions you're asking. Are you making something new, or making a better mousetrap? Granted I'm a little outside of the norm because I'm picky and I have my favorites, so I have my own clear com belt pack, I have a "surveillance" style com headset, single ear lightweight and a double muff heavy noise suppression headset (surprisingly handy). One of my absolute favorite tools I collected from the film production world is a box that combines my clearcom feed and my walkie, it's an extra piece on my belt, but it is 110% worth it. I find cueing solutions to be specific applications like cue lights, IFTT automation programming, but again these are all solutions that exist.

I've been working with a production group recently where we're trying to do similar "team" based communication and in that case I can see it being useful, but there's also a reason why there are standards and go to's. It's a pretty hefty task to challenge the likes of Clear-Com, Telex and Motorola, Drop Box and Google which all have pieces of the answers you're looking to question, but if you can make a better mouse trap (read communication tool) you might have a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back