Unknown Ladder/Scaffold

We have an aluminum A-Frame Extension ladder at our theatre, and we use it all the time. I never loved extension ladders and especially A-frames, but ut soon became second nature to run up it, throw a leg over and sit there for however long it took to focus an entire batten. It is a useful tool and it is very safe if you know what you are doing and you be safe. I would be less likely to get in one of these "Cherrypicker" ladders especially because it looks like it puts all of your weight to one side of the stick which doesn't seem too great especially if you are going to be moved around.

The new ones that are fiberglass are great. There are plenty of theatres out there that simply can not use a genie to do weight limits of the or access to the stage. This is mostly in the university area, but then again thats where most A frames are found. A-Frames are nice due to their small footprint, however I don't like going up to a 25' or 30' trim on one (enter the focus track!).

The "cherry pickers" you speak of are death traps. I've had the unfortunate pleasure of using them on many occasions and the unfortunate occasion of having them collapse on me or break on me more than once due to equippment failure, not improper set up.

A-frames are great. I feel completely safe up at 30' on one of those focusing. Sure, it gets uncomfortable after a while, but I know that I can lean out pretty far out on one of those and be perfectly sure that the ladder isn't going anywhere. Plus, there are always two guys down below spotting.

Sound like I don't want to buy one of these "cherry picker" deals. Right now we've been limited to scaffolding on our stage and on our lower level of the auditeria. We do have a large two man scissor lift, however it is simply too large and too heavy. It would crazy the stage floor for sure, and there is no way it could make the turns down the ramp leading to the lower level of the auditeria that our light bars hang above. We used to have a nice fiberglass A-Frame ladder in our old building, but we sold it with the building for some unknown reason. Right now I think we're probably looking at a small one man lift or another A-frame. Can anybody make some suggestions?

The center peice of those A-frames lift up!?!!? How do they stay up?! I was just reading this and thought... "that looks just like mine. Except the top peice goes up." Thank you!!!!! I might just be able to focus those confounded side lights safely!! (I gave up on the 24' extension on a slanty floor on a wall that slanted away from the lights, expecially when you try to put pressure on something with the C-wrench). Maybe we don't need to beg the administration to let us borrow their scissors lift!! But how does the centerpeice STAY up?

THANK YOU!!!!

(apologies, I'm rather excited that I might be able to almost double the height of my best ladder)

The A-frame extension ladder's stick should have a locking mechanism that holds it up, similar to that of a standard extension ladder. There should be a metal bar that sits underneath the rungs of the stick and as you push the stick up it should drop into place under the rungs as they go by. At least this is how mine works, it wouldn't surprise me if there are other varieties.

Here is an image with details from Werner Ladders:
proxy.php

Just found this thread,

We have a tallescope in our auditorium and works very well for what we need it for. When used in it's current use it does not have to be extended. On Monday I need to move it to another building where it will need to be extended, but I cannot for the life of me fine a manual for the darn thing. To all of you tallescope owners out there, how do you go about extending it? If you happen to have a manual it would be most useful.

Tom

I just want to point out that there are several places that will sell you an 11 foot high rolling scaffold on line for less than $1000. Much safer, sturdier, and designed to roll around with you on top with no outriggers. The one I'm getting for my new theater includes a trap door in the top and a platform half way up in the middle so you can climb up 5 feet, stand on a platform, have equipment passed up to you, then continue up through the trap door and have things passed up to you all nice and safe. My fancy one's going to be about $1400

I believe the "cherry pickers" were manufactured by Upright Scaffolding.

BillESC is correct. What's described in the original picture was made by Upright Scaffolding in the US, and known as "Tallescope," in other parts. In it's time, it was a standard "aerial work platform." IF maintained properly, and IF the climber did PROPER pre-use inspections, the device was, to quote a defunct pyro company "as safe as safe can be."

I too, however, prefer the "A-Frame," or trestle ladder. However, OSHA will not allow their use on wheeled carts or dollies. How many theatre electricians are willing to climb up and down every time they want to focus the next fixture on the electric?

The only OSHA-approved, cost-effective solution is to use wheeled scaffolding, with a footprint of 5'x7', which causes it's own problems on a stage with scenery.

But for those who like to dream, I recommend this: JLG Model 20MVL. http://www.jlg.com/default.asp

Unfortunately, the platform tops out at 19'-6". Still it would be great if your electrics never trim higher than 25'.

YMMV.
Derek

Last edited:
To all of you tallescope owners out there, how do you go about extending it?

Works just like a modern extension ladder. There shold be a fixed pulley mounted on the top rung of the FIXED section. An approved rope goes thru the pulley and is tied (clove hitch) to the bottom rung of the movable section containing the bucket. Two ratchet-dogs lock the extension in place.

Read all informational and warning labels on the unit. This writer cannot be considered an authority or authorized person for the purpose of giving advice in the use and operation of any aerial work platform or device. Consult the manufacturer if unsure of any part of the unit's safe and standard operation.

Good Luck.

icewolf08 thanks for the picture. It reminded me of something. Male crew members appreciate some sort of padding on the top rung of the vertical extension, for obvious reasons. One inch foam rubber or a scrap of carpet works well. Learned that lesson the difficult way when I went from wooden to new fiberglass with metal rungs!

I just got a Genie runabout. 36" by 50 some odd inch footprint. Goes up to 19 feet and you can drive it around whilst in the air. Sensible, safe, useful.

...a Genie runabout. ...Goes up to 19 feet
Van that's 8.07m platform height, right? Sounds like a direct competitor to the JLG I mentioned. Did you compare the two? Just asking because I've never seen the Genie Runabout, and you've probably never seen the JLG MVL. But I bet we've both used this one: the Genie AWP.

Last edited:
http://www.genielift.com/ss-series/runabout.asp

There's the link to the Genie Runabout. And here's a picture of one going through a door, which is the main reason I wanted one. I really didn't compare prices because I found one used through RSC's used equipment. I was able to purchase a one year old unit for 3k not bad.

Last edited:
I just got a Genie runabout. 36" by 50 some odd inch footprint. Goes up to 19 feet and you can drive it around whilst in the air. Sensible, safe, useful.

Van - I didn't think one was allowed (under OSHA) to move this type of equipment (that is, an aerial ladder) while extended and occupied. (Or am I taking "drive it around whilst in the air" too literally?)

Joe

[
I too, however, prefer the "A-Frame," or trestle ladder. However, OSHA will not allow their use on wheeled carts or dollies.

One of many reasons I hate those ladders...namely because you never see them still in use with out the cart/dolly. Though I did work at a theatre that had a newer one whose wheels were on springs that only supported the weight of the ladder. When you stepped on it it stopped rolling. Worked decently enough.

For the record this ladder http://www.wernerladder.com/newprods/mt.php is fantastic when working on a raked stage.

Van - I didn't think one was allowed (under OSHA) to move this type of equipment (that is, an aerial ladder) while extended and occupied. (Or am I taking "drive it around whilst in the air" too literally?)

Joe

Because of the footprint, and the extremely slow speed at which it operates, it is OSHA compatible. < if it isn't Genie is in for a world of hurt, as they have sold tons of them.>

I Burned out a battery the other day! Arghh!.

Because of the footprint, and the extremely slow speed at which it operates, it is OSHA compatible. < if it isn't Genie is in for a world of hurt, as they have sold tons of them.>
I Burned out a battery the other day! Arghh!.

Same thing goes for the small scissor lifts. When you are up at height they move EXTREMELY slow and you cant stop or start suddenly even if you want to. There is nothing better then having a 20' or so scissor lift onstage.

Serves me right for posting without checking - Its meeting the ANSI A92.6 specification (that allows the Runabout to be operated while extended. (And that's all in the design details.)

(Though, after reading though the OSHA reg, I'd have thought ANSI A92.2 would have been the citation. But these scaffolding/aerial lift regs are so cross referenced and interpreted, it's not obvious.)

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back