Unruly casts?

Ok. I think I know the reason why actors don't listen to us.

Either you're not using small enough words, or they just don't think it's necessasry to listen to you.

In all seriousness though, I'm friends with a great many actors, all of whom listen to me. Some of them were telling me, though, that a lot of techies come off as egotistical (kinda like how we see actors). And it can be true; a lot of techies I know stride around the PAC with their bluetooths and lord knows what else wired to themselves, acting like they're better than everyone. I'm not saying this is true of everyone, but doing stuff like this tends to make actors hate you.

If it's possible to be buddies with the actors, maybe joke a little with them backstage or whatnot, that can usually gain you a bit of respect. If not, just drop a backdrop on one of them and tell them "maybe you should have listened to the five times I yelled 'scrim coming in'."

Former High School teacher here...

To tell you the truth this isn't your problem this is the problem of your Teacher or Advisor. If the actors aren't working hard, talk to him/her about it. If the actors don't respect you, talk to him/her about it. The program lives and dies with the teacher. If he/she isn't pushing the actors enough or isn't concerned, it doesn't matter what you do about it because the real authority doesn't care. If the teacher isn't respecting your authority as an SM, sorry the cast won't either. I always made it very clear to my cast that the stage manager was in charge and spoke for me when I wasn't around. If you don't have that kind of support then you have to face the cold hard facts that you are just "playing stage manager".

No matter what the answer to these questions, hang in there. Do your job well. Work hard, and you will be rewarded. If you can't stand working for the program, don’t bail mid production. Finish your commitment and then go find a local community theater to volunteer with. If you live in a moderate size city, I guarantee there's one not too far away that would love your help and will appreciate your work. Hang in there, college is coming and you will get to do some cool stuff and be appreciated

A SM should never belittle or play pranks on the actorrs. Oddly enough, just like any other human being (yes, they are human!) the need to feel safe and needed. No, don't lay down and beg for them to be perfect and start doing their job. Instead, be firm in manner and show them that you are there to help them and everyone else. Be someone they can look up to and respect. The one thing you shouldn't do is prank them or torment them. No one wants to respect a bully.

Hayley

Users who are viewing this thread

Back