Unsafe Cable?

GSP? Are we calling it that now? I thought it was 2P&G.

Grounded Stage Pin. I looked st the picture and then the price and thought that’s whats wrong with the cable. It’s overpriced. Til I saw the length lol.

Yeah, what's shown in the photo are suicide cables. The part description is for blue "male" Powercon though. Seems like someone in marketing screwed up but that PNTA isn't actually selling Powercon Grey (male) to 2P&G cables.

Looks like the intern went Photoshop crazy.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ooh! I love me a suicide cable!

That is a strange one. Only slightly safer than any other cable with two connectors that plug into power outputs since one connector doesn't have exposed contacts.

Yea, if you look closely, it seems to be Photoshop'd. there is a bit of a seam where the Bates meets the cable...

Yes agreed in not proper way to do it. You if end user bought a gray Powercon to Male stage pin adaptor... Will it safely power up an individual fixture = yes, and my point.

How does the fixture get power from what you just wrongly bought? It is safe n being what it is and presented - yes.

If you power up the fixture by way of gray Powercon from the adaptor you mistakenly bought - my point is that it is still safe.

If you also buy a male stage pin to blue powercon adaptor, and don't notice something a bit off in this concept... of having two male stage pin in both adaptors, at best you should not be doing this in general. or anything involved with the process of even hanging the light. Where was buying the proper adaptor mentioned above in now having two male stage pin plugs - exposed pins? Jumping to conclusions I think in dogmatic outrage and assumption of a not mentioned second male adaptor.

I suspect the above is in concern about that. Powercon is not male or female. Blue is normally the female and properly done. That said though... gray as female, there is nothing dangerous about that in initial post. It is wrong but not suicide cable.

Last edited:
Please explain how or why? "Industrial Manslaughter" is a very harsh and important term to use, and I would not be smug in using it. That's a very serious statement to express.

Assuming just the Stage to Powercon Gray adaptor and not anything subsequent to that not presented in original debate over the stupid adaptor, please justify how someone can go to jail for using such an adaptor? No offense intended, debate and sparring is always healthy and useful for a discussion, and we all learn and grow from it.

Last edited:
I disagree, Ship. If the Powercon is plugged into its normal mating connector there will be full mains AC voltage on the *exposed* pins of the Bates connector. That's per se unsafe and a violation of NEC.

Yes, as said by me also, if you find yourself with two male stage pins as the end of two adaptors plugged into a fixture - you have a problem and probably should not be hanging the lights anyway.

My statements are about the adaptor itself without subsequent things like more power in' jumpers also plugged into it. Why would you power up a fixture twice anyway and not notice anything wrong with the concept?

Stage to Powercon Gray is wrong but not say something unsafe - because it is not a male or female connector - just a connector. Were you to use it - wrongly, and did powercon blue to powercon gray jumpers between fixtures - it is no different. It is wrong but not unsafe if used as a normal or proper feed thru concept.

Did I say it's wrong enough?

Please explain how or why? "Industrial Manslaughter" is a very harsh and important term to use, and I would not be smug in using it. That's a very serious statement to express.

Using a power outlet connector as a power inlet connector is about as grave an error as you can make.

Possible consequences:

Live power inlet pins on devices or cables.

Apparently disconnected strings of equipment still being live.

A single power string energised by two (potentially out-of-phase) supplies.

It is serious statement. Any suggestion that such a cable could considered safe is completely outrageous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back