Unsafe conditions

Was I right in my decision to contact the fire marshal?

• Yes

Votes: 21 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You are correct in a perfect world but its not. First, as a bystander visiting the place any concerns about a building or structure should have gone by snail mail if even registered mail as being received and signed for snail mail to the management of the establishment. Second, if touring the place for prepping for a show or negotiation for contract on a show, the concerns you have in not liking what you see should also have had a paper trail by way of you recommending both to the band and facility, that such conditions you saw get corrected satisfactory before the group you represent do business with them.

Bit of a difference here in tact as a viewer in general verses that of a tech person not liking what you see that will work there and or might in theory be volunteering your services to correct them. Often in the industry the face to face type of thing won’t work. Hi, I’m looking to make some money and your place seems to have lots of money for me to make from. Paper trail and official letters are what you need both should you do a show there with or without the changes made and or in general. And in a PR type warning you need that paper trail. Go to the post office and perhaps in not sending registered mail, I expect you can get a receipt for what you sent to them as official concern. This beyond the warning speaks a lot to the vendor as it were.

So what to do next. Perhaps note an intent to correct such conditions before your band would go there as force in going there or without force of the band before you will go there with them. Lots of leverage with a place what the people paying for the door will enter it under. Just as they paid to have them lights, they would if enough tech people won’t go there, or bands won’t play there will find it in the budget to do it properly. Lots of band negotiations here in figuring out exposure verses reliance on you for them. Won’t work there is a strong point that you have to stick by and hopefully the band will or will not if not too late given the contract.

Can they break the contract given conditions - depends on lawyers and the contract no doubt. You on the other hand in taking a stand are to stand alone either with the band in bypassing the place or in the band going there but you not which if reasonable they no doubt would understand and help even if played that night in further reinforcing your opinion for any future shows.

None the less in writing is what’s needed for a start.

My view on this is in first the personal interview with some person the acting manager that night you visited with whom you did not have such a great time that night. Did you expect better? This is a person that sees what works, what they got done, expense and safe enough. Also sees someone demanding their time which no matter if you implied or not a sales pitch, was implied or in some way didn’t quite make your points at times for what would be simple to correct. Believe me, never easy to do in person or on site at the first visit. Just something that don’t work in what one might think would be easy enough just isn’t.

Gotta get it in writing and even if properly put in the mail state you will not do the work but hope this gets properly done. Your intent is for safety and proper facilities to work in.

Ok. Once all that gets done with the regestered letter and or snail mail message, and or sending it thru the band as per concerns for the band in playing there you than if not fixed sufficiently - not going to get all initially at least, What than do you do?

Discipline in private, Praise in public is a rule of tact and profession.

Ok, if it don’t work that way in the end in privately attempting to address issues, and if not immediate life safety - and there is a lot of leeway in this that will be time sensitive you than contact the fire inspector. This by mail also or personal interview but not by phone. Remember your own paper trail as a concept. If immediate such as an exposed ground level bus bar one is tapping or a floor pocket using old school 30A stage pin connectors tact will dictate the waiting for response or fixing. Beyond that... outlet covers missing, stuff zip tied to the ceiling... there is not a huge liability overall. Get realistic in your process and intent. Yes we all want to set the world on fire and or do stuff proper but it is not realistic to demand immediate attention short of weight behind that attention. More the paper trail and tact to force changes.

Unrated chain for the speakers... I have a Cooper catalog that does list load ratings for the home center grade chain. Are you sure it’s not load rated even if twisted link and not per say shock loaded lift rated chain? Yes, as a recommendation you could specify graded chain and or the rigging it attaches to which is also no doubt not rated for the load or more important the shock load but even dog chain will when static as often be sufficient for the load. Is this a timely type change that needs to be changed immediately when you visit the manger of the place sufficient to stop the nights show?

Wire stipped - expect exposed wiring and open box covers, yep - don’t touch such a thing but a show won’t be touching it during the show. Got no doubt the place there in pulling a permit for the wiring and getting it inspected, much less its current condition and its often no doubt some idiot tech person that did the work in the past in not knowing what the heck he or she was doing. Often it might be best in a contract to demand what you see most crucial get changed before your band plays. Certainly all the work was not as bad so perhaps you could make it reasonable in initial mail that such things that are show stoppers get fixed before your band shows up or they will not as long as the band agrees or they do it without you.

Manager on duty is a small person, keep that in mind. Widget slightly off alignment and you get in trouble for not paying attention or send it on its way type of thing. Small person being a psychological term for... forget the specific definition (been a few years since class but it’s studied as a concept) but well supported both legally and psychologically why someone don’t care about you coming to visit them with a punch list. This small time manager won’t even be responsible in the end after dismissing your concerns, on the other hand if he did as you ask he might not get rewarded and that plays on his or her mind in an active sense. As long as he or she feels safe enough that’s good enough for them in tuning out the why you express.

Safety cable... possibly not required or if required something not persay a thing required in this grade of assembly hall. Could be not required or could be something any inspector didn’t know about.

Let me get into the safety inspector you attempted to contact. Most it is very well assumed don’t know their rear from stage lighting. Some know their stuff, most don’t. Sure they know what they know and or what looks ok but per code for assembly hall type or theater type rules... most are not sufficiently trained. Even with shows traveling in Europe where rules are more stringent I’m yet to get anything even I made, modified or supervised questioned.

Way back to my first theater back while I was in college and working at it. The inspector would send a letter announcing a pending visit, the theater management would forward that letter to the landlord and that landlord would just pay off the inspector. I did say that and mean that’s what took place for years while once I became responsible for the place I did with a lot of effort make the place more complaint. Still while when the theater in originally opening did get a inspection by a fire inspector for licence to operate and passed it, by building code it should have never opened and in the end of our theater it was that which was in part why we closed the shutters. Didn’t stop it as a places of assembly due to the amount of seats from re-opening as a church for a time later, just was different in Cook County politics in some way.

Still that’s how it was. No way to comply with persons of disabilities changed laws that took place after we opened, but still there was defiant code type stuff both electrical and building code that was without solution which should have never allowed us to open in the years before I got there which were not compliant. First the front door opened the wrong direction, the stairs after that were too steep, both the main stage and studio theater door were hinged in the wrong direction, exit lights were not existant in a “too be seen type of way” this before the shin buster concept, the power to the building heck... the exit lights were on the house power without battery backup so if house power went out, the exit lights would also. Dimmer power was a nightmare in wiring / electrical safety etc. Nope... not compliant including hand rails and or gaps in the audience platforms that on opening years before I got there and corrected neither flame proofed or in any way preventing someone from falling off of when walking down stairs. Hmm, huge gap between audience platforms between sections without even glow tape. Scary place with zip cord in the grid all of which slowly got changed but was a process and certain things as per the above major building code things could not get changed.

Fire inspector that didn’t or got changed did make us a visit in the end six years later after I joined the company. He was not able to get in so he made a study of the outside of the building. Front door incorrect. Plastic up on the windows - them 1920's windows got cold and we needed as with insulation and closing them off on stage a vapor barrier (should have just bricked them in while opening the theater but I was not there in that phase of construction), fire escape needs a fresh coat of paint. And I also think he noted the riser height of the front stair case. Nope.. No reasonable payoff for the land lord of our rented theater space or easy fixes for the space. Plus we were all burned out and ready to close the doors. In part it was all thanks to a fire inspector that never even came in and was doing his job instead of out for a payoff - literally in something I have been told on very good authority by way of the business manager for the theater.

Later in my career I was around for an actual fire inspector inspection. Was in the grid for Mariott Lincolnshire theater during a work stoppage while being inspected while the few times I worked there it did get inspected each and every show. Was warned... couldn’t hold myself off and did get into a bit of trouble while in the grid making such comments as a young tech person might make. Still that was an inspector coming to the theater before any show and giving permission for it. This as opposed to at times while in school having to have a fire department person sit back stage during the show but no real inspection before.

Currently at work a few times a year the local fire department and or insurance inspectors come for a visit, and while we need to hide the chemicals and do no real work while they are about, it’s still a valid inspection as above with the fire inspector visiting and approving of the place. This as opposed to just paying off the guy by the building owner and somewhat common at least during the 90's in the Chicago area I know of.

Third case is another theater in the mid-90's, one of the top five largest stages in Chicago at the time I worked at. Still in many ways by the time I got there it’s origional German opera house 1926 design. Plug in the non-nema pin rail index light twist lock plug the wrong way and you electrified the entire grid and made sparks if you touched it. The original non-grounded drop lines to the electrics were still in place and even after attempting to make them safe - after a mistake they were left in place as is at the time hopefully. Pull on the original border light that were counter weighted and without lock mechanism and the rope line breaks sending the heavy boarder lines to the deck. Really did end with a pool of rope about me and a run away line not just once but each time in removing the things that it happened. Old help house and these were the original parts of the rigging not moved in at least thirty years. The hemp lines on the other hand had been replaced over the years in line with bronze bright sash cord. 200# safe working load for each line of say a three or four line pipe normal to the theater. Urr... Iron sash cord initially switching out to at a bit more in load rating but not a huge amount more than double the load rating but not really rated for the flattening out of running over a ½ “ rope block or other things was really a solution. Dimmer racks, half were Cypress Creek brand that no longer exist and were totally exposed in being careful not to touch stuff.

Wrote up like a 10 page letter and punch list to the management of the building as an employee but not one in that I was while every day and with keys considered “free lance” in paying my own taxes that came to be a problem for me amongst other things. Still it’s my home theater and they over the years have made tremendous advancements often by way of getting stuff out of other theaters after they close down. This including an entire new / used double purchase system = this as long as they don’t remove the speed rail main drape that I mastered the bounce on. Totally without break but also something from the 20's I wouldn’t change. You could full speed bounce that main with pool and all and it not fail.

That 10 page letter and punch list was stuff I saw and wanted to change. Some stuff they worked with me on and the punch list as with working with the TD there in him becoming my mentour and me being skilled labor to get done and or even help him overall, we with budget did get stuff done such as the pin rail. Other stuff such as the smoke vent fire links... they say every I believe every five years they need to get replaced, was there in and out as the ME and Master Rigger for the most part about six and expect such links have like fifteen years later still not been replaced as with the flame treating on the drapes and other stuff as the drop line grounding. Still I did re-do the floor pockets in losing the old school wood handle steel plate 30A floor pocket stuff in going stage pint modern style. We gave up on re-wiring them in the old cloth covered cable was still okay and impossible to remove from the conduit. I expect the exposed asbestos was also painted over where before chipped and when taking a crap you note in the washroom a dust cloud on the pipes of little sparkly dust coming from the pipes. (Kids supposedly due to especially the still code compliant fire curtain made of asbestos were not allowed backstage... that’s a concept.)

On the other hand I did make great progress there with rewiring all lighting fixtures and for the rigging in general. Done and safe. Did amazing things at my first real stage still in many ways my home and they still consider me a member of that home also. They went further but I started that effort and was a part of it.

That ten page message as an employee both punch list and list of problems went a long way with getting stuff done there and also starting the paper trail of responsibility and complance. Sure there was a long way to go there but that place did get officially inspected (while I was gone) and it always passed so far as the inspector was able to understand what he was there for and current needs for compliance. The theater did good over the years for itself in even re-doing the entire front face of the building so as to make an elevator that’s handicap compliant. Doing good as a theater much less in taking my notes but adding them to a plan for the place, they followed a plan and stayed in the black but always have kept that punch list primary.

That said and in ways similar to how you did it, there are places I just cannot work about the industry. One had a twelve channel old style dove board with zip cord and clip lights lamped with 150w PARs not to mention doors and stuff that were stuff, another place more recently I did the original visit for and I guess on this similar to the above 1920's theater but this being a pro house as opposed to a pro-house that started as a grade school attached to a church’s opera but church school main theater. Place I find home was designed to be a church school and community German opera house and all didn’t fall within current code standards so the school was closed and the thater plus what was a school was turned into theaters and offices. The other place was more often than not dark and I had no understanding of how it was kept alive. The rigging for this large theater on Milwaukee Avenue in Chicago had total rust on its fly system, and for a hemp house, its bright bronze sash cord was sad looking. But beyond this, they still had an original 1920's dimmer room I wish I could re-visit just to study, but unfortunately during the site survey the basement was under a flood. Such a flood would have not hope of being pumped out for the show. Didn’t remember rain in that week much but there were parts of the below stage that were not able to be gotten to in my site survey so as to determine as ME for the show what I would need for power in the show. Walked across boards just to get to the dimmer room and stay somewhat dry. Dimmer room was while on slightly higher ground than the fascinating rest of the place was still also flooded. I stood by my recommendation to the production company and band that we rent a generator for the show as I wouldn’t hook up power no matter what how to that dimmer room.

Stood by it and my only real job for the show was to hook the touring companies tails into the generator and ensure it worded properly. Rigging was self supporting without the fly grid and as I was told, it’s there but nobody other than some Mexican bands use it at the time.

Offered my car to fix what’s up with the theater later... never called but were interested in the things I cited as a problem. This as job for me and saving this old place and it was very clear the intent priority. Instead they never got closed down an think still open under the same concept of “as is”.

Can’t even work at our local 1920's theater. Did a load in or two at the place and while the rigging is in decent shape, the electrics have details I cannot due to who I work at be held liable for if there and not something than it becomes a problem. Made note of such things to the on-site theater manager, offered advice for free and training and or for us or recommendations on who including us easily could fix the stuff noted, got no calls. Can’t go back unless the stuff I noted beyond even a FOH lift electric that has someone without fall protection going up with it for focus as small detail beyond original electrics that also are not in such a good condition not so good. For this place more a detail type of thing in stuff I see common but still sufficient I didn’t want to be liable for being there that I cannot go back.

Wonder about your own arrest as you will have been, I expect that time between interview with manager and calling fire inspector etc. didn’t go so well. Don’t know what went off but I’m sure it didn’t go off well in some sense of it felt sufficient to take you away. Good that you didn’t mention the club publically - often a first mistake in such a posting but also thinking the end of the story was a bit simplified and some day will become more realized in tact by you. No rush now in experience but some how it didn’t go per plan and or per how it should have. Years from now as per my arrest years ago perhaps it will be as simple in stating how, why and what went wrong and or right. Don’t post now, hold it and think a while. Two sides to every story and certainly the club owner’s rep did something but also perhaps diplomacy was also not a helpful factor here.

I’ve hated the club for years certainly doesn’t support the concept of going in and being of help. Fire inspectors... see above and or was not time to inspect as per his or her schedule for inspection and that’s ok and or could have been part of the problem that got you the end result.

Nope, you didn’t do the correct thing it would seem. Yes it would seem to be the logical thing but that’s not how any system works. Instead you tried to rush things and get immediate gratification instad of taking the more paper trail route that these days is mor proper.
Don’t know what got you arrested specific but it no doubt plays a role in that first contact with the management. That’s no doubt unless something so un-safe someone can instantly die right away as opposed to just box cover open that you feel strong the place is unsafe and even still do so with tact instead of are felt as a threat like calling fire in an auditorium.

Don’t know the circumstance but if two parties are required for a fight your own response had to be a factor in what you probably should not have done even if correcting what another party should be doing.

Last edited:
Did you really expect a Fire Marshall to show up for a non-emergency situation on a Saturday evening? Since, as you say "That place is a disaster waiting to happen and has been for years," could you not have waited until Monday when the proper government office was open to lodge your complaint? It's possible the county's Fire Marshall is not even the proper AHJ for most of your concerns. It's likely your concerns should be addressed to the Office of Building Code Compliance, or equivalent, in your area.

There appear to be inconsistencies in your story:
"The fire marshal did NOT inspect the location and allowed it to be opened" and later, "It wasn't even a fire marshal who arrived, it was just a fire truck with the fire chief who never bothered to inspect the place."

The timing of your actions makes me suspicious as to your true motives, and it's likely that others thought similarly.

Ah’ the 911 verses 311 call for those that have such a call network and it works for them. Urr, never call 911 for non-emergency. If didn’t it got misunderstood in the communication and steam rolled it would seem from there. Fire Chief not fire inspector etc. Thus the slow boat paper trail method and it would seem your concerns expressed were sufficient to make for sufficient concern with some in the city thus the slower paper trail method in doing so.

Fire Marshall verses if right across the street direct after the meeting with the vendor and fire department coming on a emergency means different things in concern level. Was this place going to immediately go up in flames verses just a safety compliance hazard? The person that took your call no doubt took it as a immediate hazzard to public safety 911 or not which got you in the end arrested. Totally different story.

Once had a driver that was an actor for trade driving our 24' box truck while working for the city. Bridged the truck and went to the local police department to file a report as required. He went there and was told he needs to go back to the scene and call for the police - believe it was 911 the call number he was advised by the desk Sargent to be calling.

Later that day he got himself arrested for calling that number while at the scene of his crime. Guy was one step out of psychologist anyway as an actor that no doubt was good at his trade and thrown over by now at being arrested for doing what he was told to do.

Given he was a city employee an was driving a city truck all was eventually worked out amongst departments in us bridging our yearly rental truck for the year allotted to us as it were. He got out of it but was not allowed to use power tools for a few days.

Pushed my last button and or code enforcement agency is a big statement. I would recommend not either and settling down in this personal battle. What I would recommend is to contact perhaps Richard Cadena at PLSN and tell him all facts of the above and further info of your postings. This is something that industry wide there should be a role he could help foster a concept to properly thinking up and or can give better advice to how to deal with I think. At very least his advice as an expert might be very useful.

For now, it would seem intended or not you got stuck behind the cue ball in something you wanted to report but in doing so in an easy sense got quick action which in quick action bit you in the butt. Often best to sleep on stuff and if not as the emergency departments took it, if not immediate in life hazzard, you in reporting it even if not emergency in the 911 world got taken as it.

Gotta instad slow down at times in getting stuff done and not take it personal if not immediate life detrimental and even than with tact verses that of reality in those that just don’t get it and there or not won’t get it without you. If given the chance and without lawer you might not be, explain without passion to the judge what went on in your attempt to make the place safe. If not and you probably won’t be given the chance to say much of anything in court... bear with it and follow the concept of better to above registered mail and if that all don’t work say going to the press but only afterwards.

Three parts to every arguement. No doubt yours are correct and accurate still two parts of it that don't add up to even if valid your points what got less than desired results. Good case study for others no doubt in being important by way of no way to just call the fire marshall as it were in getting a place closed down no matter how much they need it but also a lot to the story.

Sorry in all of course as your intent no doubt was noble and experience only prevented the best outcome.

Fire Marshall, fire chief, pumper man, don’t matter they are all same department and if not same people. The fire department that manages such things it would seem was being pro-active in fixing an immediate problem you reported which turned out badly for you in the end. All people above can write up a violation. The others no doubt will have needed your advice for a figuring out what the problems were in either getting them on paper or calling you out for a false alarm.

All part of immediate response for something you got stuck in no doubt. Same day or later same case as it was a 911 call for the fire department in the end and by their concept, they were now there for as it were for them nothing important as opposed to a fire are hart attack they during the call were no longer available for. Firemen can and are NEC enforcers. Problems abound further with the details with the what happened.

Sorry it happened and it should be as it were you could just report what’s wrong and such a report follow the proper channels but in this case given the advance in technology and or problems of the past this which you reported got you into trouble innocent as you are but also ignorant as it were in how to do such a thing we all no doubt are.

Let’s not slam the cops or club in reasons to support your fire code issues with it - issues of profession separate from what as a customer you see. All the case or not, not helping the issue of what you were doing there in some sense. Getting mad and including extra reasons this place should be closed down also don't help. All have the same intent in professionalism also. Just perhaps a different experience in how to approace it perhaps.

To correct the "Inconsistencies" in the post, I must state that it was the fire marshals office that was contacted, but the fire chief on duty was who had arrived on scene, not the fire marshal himself.

The Police were already located at the facility, as there are generally 10-20 squad cars outside of the club mentioned on the average evening they are open due to various reasons, but the primary one being the dealing of drugs and alcohol. This club is notorious for it's dealings with cocaine and marijuana.

Personally, I wanted to hold a rave in the facility with a few local DJs to see what kind of money could be made in the Boca Raton area. That's why I was in there in the first place. The best time to get in there is before they open as all of their lighting is up and running, so is their sound system.

When I see stuff like open junction boxes with live (and stripped bare) romex poking through, par cans and strobes being flown with zip ties, and speakers flown with unrated chain and link clips, I wonder who allowed anyone to fly the stuff.

Generally, I'm hired on to events for three reasons - I'm a lighting guy and I'm good at what I do, I know how to get things done quickly, and I know how to get things done properly. In the companies I work for, I'm known as the hard ass for doing things right when it comes to safety regulations. I've had the crews I've worked with completely take down rigged (and loaded) truss because they thought that a roof was strong enough to support 1.5 tons of equipment, when in fact you wouldn't want to put more than 700 pounds or so.

I'm a hard ass, and I like being that way. It keeps people safe, it makes sure that there are few accidents (None on my job, but it is a fact that one will happen eventually in one way or another).

That's why I bothered to make the call. The people I work with are loyal towards me and I'm loyal towards them. That's why I don't mind giving my first name (only) to the offices of either Code Enforcement or the Fire Marshal.

And when it comes to the club, I have nothing against the owner or the club itself. Although, there have been several law suits in the past few years over safety issues in there (including the death of a boxer as the boxing rink was too close to the corner of a stage).

I wouldn't bother to call if it was just a few cables handled improperly, or lights clamped but not safety cabled, or even improperly covered junction boxes that are out of reach of people. It's the fact that safety is the last though on the facilities mind that makes me wonder how their electrical contractor even manages to hold his license.

Either way, I'm sure I'll be getting a call from the owner when he is back in town. Hopefully he doesn't try and sue, although I very, very highly doubt that would stick up in court.

In New York City I doubt that a Fire Marshall would really know all these electric code issues. I would have voted 'no' on the FM...better the Buildings Department/311, if did anything. There are too many places like this.

The FDNY FMs visit our space every three months and always note something, and we always correct them, which they like. They rarely comment on the equipment or grid. much of which is conduit-based in good condition. It's about railing, log books, clear stairways and aisles, seating, emergency lighting, signage, and current inspection certification for fire prevention (sprinklers and extinguishers are monthly) and that we have FDNY current certification for in house FMs, alarm and sprinkler specialists. We have several FDNY actors, and two of them are real FDNY FMs, but they do not know electrical code.

While I have been an electronics geek my whole life and have command of the equipment and the grid, to be safe, I have brought in EEs and licensed electricians, or other TDs to checkout the CB in our community theatre. They always suggest (or demand) improvements.

Also, as someone else noted, being an obsessive hard-ass is a major part of my role of a TD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back