Control/Dimming Updating Windows on Strand Palette board / doesn't start up

DannyDepac

Hello Guys,

I am a high school teacher who also does the stage crew/ tech aspects of our plays/musicals at school so forgive any of my noobieness.

So we have a 32/64 palette strand board that I am starting to get pretty used to using. Its about 8-9 years old and for the past few years we have had an issue where our board occasionally will turn on but will not progress to start up windows--the monitor stays black and the board turns on, beeps but stays stagnant. Our worst fear came true last week when it decided to do this before our final show and it only finally started working about 5 minutes after we were supposed to start.

I am pretty computer savvy so I figure it is probably more of a windows issue and could potentially be cleared up by reinstalling windows (it runs XP still). I emailed Phillips and they said only the factory or dealers are enabled to do the install.... is that true or just a scare me off tactic?

The guy emailed me IMMEDIATELY which was amazing and was so cool and I trust what he says but seeing as it is an older out of warranty board and we are due for a new one in a year or two I figure I'd like to try to solve it myself because we don't have a dealer and sending it to the factory is not an option with all of the concerts and shows we do with it. Very pleased with the customer service

Has anyone had any success doing so and can anyone help me out with the process? I don't think its under warranty anymore at 8-9 years so we don't have much to fear.

If anyone knows if that is a common issue with the board or has a solution please help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I would in fact not assume that it's safe for you to reinstall the OS unless you know exactly what you're doing -- by which I mean you have installable versions of the console software, and any necessary drivers.

When it beeped at startup, how, exactly, did it beep? That's usually -- as you may know -- an indicator of hardware trouble, and those beepcodes can be interpreted by number and length...

And it isn't likely to be the PC version of XP. There were special, industrial versions of XP for embedded systems.

I agree with the above posters, this is not something you want to attempt without support from the manufacturer or being 100% certain that you have all of the correct software and drivers. I'm sure being in NY that there are dealers nearby, it could just be a matter of dropping the console off with them for a day to reinstall the software.

And it isn't likely to be the PC version of XP. There were special, industrial versions of XP for embedded systems.

This is 100% correct.

It looks like XP, it smells like XP, but it's really Windows CE. (Compact embedded) you'll notice running .Exe files on it is useless, as it probably isn't x86 (PC architecture) either.

This is 100% correct.

It looks like XP, it smells like XP, but it's really Windows CE. (Compact embedded) you'll notice running .Exe files on it is useless, as it probably isn't x86 (PC architecture) either.
Not necessarily.

It's actually more likely that it's "Windows XP Embedded", as I think the Ion also is. This is a product that's still under MS support, unlike the retail product.

Reactions: Van
Also, that particular type of 'Hang on startup' is Usually an indication of a failing hard drive or a corrupt swap file.
The MBR can get glitchy, or there could be a failing RAM stick.
When you say it beeps. you mean the normal "bios pre-boot check complete" single short beep right?

Pre-Post and Post beeps are your friend. Find out what Mobo you are running look up the codes and start from there. 8-9 years old I would say it needs a new HD. Pull it and run some diagnostics on it from a different machine. I would try to backup everything on that drive asap for the day that it eventually doesn't start up you can swap it with a fresh one.

I'm on the same page as @Amiers, the problem is more than likely a small (or big) RAM or HDD issue. Beeps and no boot are almost always a RAM issue. Sometimes this can be fixed by just unplugging the device, removing all of the RAM, (at this point I plug it back in and turn it on, not sure why I do this, but I do), put one module of RAM back in, plug back in and power on, then shut down and unplug, then add one more stick of RAM, plug back in and turn on, and repeat until you've got all the RAM back in.

I could go on with why any computer will not boot at all without RAM, or if it finds some RAM that isn't working, but I'll save you guys the reading.

If you're going to pull the RAM, clean the contacts, both sides, with a pencil eraser, very gently.

If the machine's a decade old, it might be a good idea to clone the drive -- preferably to something in the same size class (these days, that probably means a 250GB if you want new, though smaller SSDs might work, if the interface is SATA) -- and try booting the clone to see how that works.

If you're going to pull the RAM, clean the contacts, both sides, with a pencil eraser, very gently.

If the machine's a decade old, it might be a good idea to clone the drive -- preferably to something in the same size class (these days, that probably means a 250GB if you want new, though smaller SSDs might work, if the interface is SATA) -- and try booting the clone to see how that works.
It is IS Win CE or Embedded XP 4 G is all the os can see of the HD no matter how big a drive you install.

It is IS Win CE or Embedded XP 4 G is all the os can see of the HD no matter how big a drive you install.
Internal drivers still have to pair up with whatever HD you use SO, the software may load onto it but if the computer doesn't have the proper drivers for the HD you might be SOL. Not to say you don't find the drivers for the HD and put them in a appropriate folder for the OS to label and use it properly.

I'm on the same page as @Amiers, the problem is more than likely a small (or big) RAM or HDD issue. Beeps and no boot are almost always a RAM issue. Sometimes this can be fixed by just unplugging the device, removing all of the RAM, (at this point I plug it back in and turn it on, not sure why I do this, but I do), put one module of RAM back in, plug back in and power on, then shut down and unplug, then add one more stick of RAM, plug back in and turn on, and repeat until you've got all the RAM back in.

I could go on with why any computer will not boot at all without RAM, or if it finds some RAM that isn't working, but I'll save you guys the reading.

How many beeps? If it is the single POST beep before boot-up, then look to software as an issue, or a HDD that is not spinning up (sticky head syndrome)
If it is multiple beeps, then it is not passing the Power On Self Test (POST) and that would indicate a hardware issue. That could be as simple as reseating a board or cleaning/reseating a memory chip/simm.
The beeps will tell you. Write down the beep code (if there is one) and then hit google. Varies a bit between board manufactures, by you should be able to pin it down.
Black screen could mean it is not getting to the point where it initializes the video board.

Don't use a pencil eraser. It might fix it temporarily, but the contamination left behind will make it worse in the long run. Ideally, use a cue tip doused in Caig DeoxIT. If DeoxIT is unavailable, I would use alcohol.

Don't use a pencil eraser. It might fix it temporarily, but the contamination left behind will make it worse in the long run. Ideally, use a cue tip doused in Caig DeoxIT. If DeoxIT is unavailable, I would use alcohol.
I've always just stuck my hand in my shirt and used it to lightly rub the contacts. Its worked pretty well for me.

I've always just stuck my hand in my shirt and used it to lightly rub the contacts. Its worked pretty well for me.
In addition to further contamination from bodily oils, I'd be concerned about potential static damage, pun intended.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Ditto. That's just bad form.

It's not only bad form, it's not going to remove the oxidates that are the goal here. Deoxit is certainly better, if you have it around, but I've been using a pencil (not pen) eraser for over 20 years, and I've never had to revisit one. (IT is actually my day job, and has been for 35 years.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back