upgrade of lighting control board - need advice

Would you invest to that level of in-house, knowing you'd have to settle on a fixture choice ?. You can't afford or have 16 VL3500's as well as 16 MAC 2k Perfomance, not to mention countless LED choices as well and the ***** is trying to 2nd guess what the clients wants. The console is almost easy IF most of the acts are R&R, then you do a GrandMA2.

OR, you don't do any, or few ML's and LED's, just enough to make life a little easier, as well as a very good and modern ETC conventional rig, with maybe the ML's being VL1000's as well as a LED cyc set, or something to make the rep plot more flexible. Then an Ion or Eos to make the events with the in-house LD happy and their life easier (and more efficient). My current problem is I now have a dozen ML's, all flash and trash MAC700's and Studio Spots and almost no events to use them on since the GM cracked down on us using them for rentals. We are puzzled as to why he does not simply up the rental fee by $300 or so to cover the maintenance (the fixtures were all grant funded). So think long and hard as to how to best incorporate all the new stuff that nobody wants to pay for.

If and when we ever do this, there will still be a plot in the air that will be able to handle dance to a degree. However, our executive director has been for a long time moving us to a music presenting house. This month we did 19 concerts, 5 corporates, 2 Theaters, and 2 dance. No dance company can afford us to do a multi-day hang/prep and therefore are staying in rep with a few color swaps. As far as exact fixture choices, that is not really a concern. We are a B/C venue so most of the tours that come in are just carrying a ground package. Currently, if the rider asks for moving lights in house, we ignore that section and just move on. Most B/C LD's just want something that throws light out one end and wiggles. They usually just distinguish between profile and wash lights and thats about it. They will take whatever they can get.

I hate to sound so out of the loop....but basically I am getting the idea that for what our theater presents here, I'd be best getting an Ion with 2 2x20 wings and two touchscreen monitors - yes? And if cost was a concern, could I go with one touchscreen (for the moving lights) and one conventional screen? And if cost was a big concern, I should go for the Element.

Upcoming, we have the following:

String quartet Chamber Music
Ed Rolland and Kevin Griffin
Coco Montoya
Sonny Landreth
Badfinger
David Bromberg
Tom Rush
Southside Johnny acoustic
Acoustic Alchemy
Red Horse
Dave Albin and the Guilty Ones
Comedy Show
Commander Cody
Vanilla Fudge
Duncan Sheik
Ballet school renting to perform Nutcracker

All these suggestions are very helpful and I appreciate the viewpoints. I don't want nor need to learn a new programming language and would like things to be just as easy as the Express 250 I currently have, or as close to it as possible. There's no time for a steep learning curve.

I hate to sound so out of the loop....but basically I am getting the idea that for what our theater presents here, I'd be best getting an Ion with 2 2x20 wings and two touchscreen monitors - yes? And if cost was a concern, could I go with one touchscreen (for the moving lights) and one conventional screen? And if cost was a big concern, I should go for the Element.
There's no time for a steep learning curve.

If less then 40 channels of conventionals, get a 2x20 fader wing for the conventionals, a 2x10 (half the cost of a 2x20) to give you some faders for ML and LED control (effects, lntensity, some quick playbacks) then with the $800 saved on the difference between the 2x20 and 2x10 get the 2nd touch screen @ around $650-$700. That's 60 faders/subs which can be enough.

The reason I harp on the 2 TS's is you can set up one screen to have Groups (set up as individual fixture grabs -see the screen shot on an earlier post), Colors, Focus and Beam palettes, on a Tabbed Direct Select with one button pushes, ready to go. Then the 2nd TS can have a Direct Select with 50 Presets, which saves you having to use a lot of faders.

BTW, there's always a learning curve, but the Ion is similar enough to an Express, just have to remember to press Enter, that basic stuff is easy.

I haven't seen one yet personally and I don't know what the pricing is on it. But, from the ETC sales propaganda, it seems like the new ETC GIO might be the product for you. It's placed right between Ion and Eos in the product lines. It seems to me that rather than tricking out an Ion with lots of expensive accessories, Gio might do everything you need nicely.

No matter what anyone here convinces you to get, demand demos on site before you buy so that you can see how YOU like it in YOUR space.

I would demo both the ION and GIO. I use an Ion with no touchscreens but I only have four movers. Maybe an ETC rep can step in but my understanding is the GIO has few physical dimmers and the screens are built in. The Ion is a computor with a wing and detached screens. The advantage is you can set your lighting desk up how you like it. I work with one designer/ BO that is left handed and sets everything up backwards from me. Since we are on an Ion we can do that. Also if you move the board between theatres or from the booth to the house, it's smaller pieces to move. Unless money becomes a problem stay away from the Element. Nothing wrong with it, just fewer bells and whistles. Try to at least get the Ion, one TS, one 2X20 and one 2X10. If you weren't busking as much you could ditch one wing.

Best not be quoting this when Steph want her Expression replaced with an Ion and your thinking Element !

Steph does not want an Ion. Unless Steph can have a GrandMA or a Chamsys to go with an all new rig, her Expression and Insight actually do exactly what she needs them to do. Anyone who needs more than the Expression and Insight can offer brings their own board. And in her smaller space, which is pretty much an exact replica of the OP's space, not a single person has ever asked for more than her Insight can offer. In fact, just last night David Sanborn (who has been in the OP's space as well,) told her that he loved what she did and that the lights looked great. So what Steph is trying to say is that it's silly for anyone but Steph to try and announce what Steph does and does not want.

Unless we're talking about Swedish Fish. I ****ing love Swedish Fish.

Trust us, we know what's best for Steph. And this will only hurt for a moment.

Steph does not want an Ion. Unless Steph can have a GrandMA or a Chamsys to go with an all new rig, her Expression and Insight actually do exactly what she needs them to do. Anyone who needs more than the Expression and Insight can offer brings their own board. And in her smaller space, which is pretty much an exact replica of the OP's space, not a single person has ever asked for more than her Insight can offer. In fact, just last night David Sanborn (who has been in the OP's space as well,) told her that he loved what she did and that the lights looked great. So what Steph is trying to say is that it's silly for anyone but Steph to try and announce what Steph does and does not want.

What? Steph doesn't want the latest cool toy? Blasphemous! .. says the guy with a Mantrix at his church, a Mini LP in his kitchen, and an Express at the theatre.

Then Steph can keep her Insight and Expression, and Chase can take Stephs new Ion/Gio to replace Chase's Strand GSX150.

Closest thing you'll find from Sweden in a console is a Maxxyz. Comes in all sorts of flavors.

All these suggestions are very helpful and I appreciate the viewpoints. I don't want nor need to learn a new programming language and would like things to be just as easy as the Express 250 I currently have, or as close to it as possible. There's no time for a steep learning curve.

Yes. And I live 20 minutes from you and can help you ease the learning curve. Sounds like a great space - I would love to come look at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back