Control/Dimming Upgrading DMX

vttn

Hey guys. So I'm using Chauvet DMX-4 (non-LED) with PAR-64 500watt bulbs. We're looking to change to DMX-4 LED. I can find the dimmer online but I can't seem to find the bulbs to figure out what kind of connector I'll need. Can anyone give a website or brand of bulb to use?

Well, that pack is just optimized for running low wattage LED lamps such as rope lights and small fixtures that use a 120 volt LED replacement lamp. Usually, when you change over to LED pars, you are actually changing the fixture to one that has the LED emitters and electronics right in the can. In those cases, the cans simply plug in the wall for power and have a DMX connector(s) on the back. (There is no separate DMX dimmer pack needed.) The cans themselves have the settings for address and mode right on the back of the can. The connectors on the cans most likely would be 3 pin XLR connectors and probably are the ones you are using now. DMX itself calls for a 5 pin connector*, but only uses 3 of the pins, so much of the equipment like ADJ or Chauvet come equipped with 3 pin XLR connectors. As for the power to the cans, regular household looking plugs. (Edison, 15 amp U-ground, NEMA 5-15)

*= In the professional environment, all DMX is 5 pin. This is not only the "standard", but is helps prevent people from using mic cables which is somewhat of a no-no and definitely not "DMX."

Last edited:
Well, that pack is just optimized for running low wattage LED lamps such as rope lights and small fixtures that use a 120 volt LED replacement lamp. Usually, when you change over to LED pars, you are actually changing the fixture to one that has the LED emitters and electronics right in the can. In those cases, the cans simply plug in the wall for power and have a DMX connector(s) on the back. (There is no separate DMX dimmer pack needed.) The cans themselves have the settings for address and mode right on the back of the can. The connectors on the cans most likely would be 3 pin XLR connectors and probably are the ones you are using now. DMX itself calls for a 5 pin connector*, but only uses 3 of the pins, so much of the equipment like ADJ or Chauvet come equipped with 3 pin XLR connectors. As for the power to the cans, regular household looking plugs. (Edison, 15 amp U-ground, NEMA 5-15)

*= In the professional environment, all DMX is 5 pin. This is not only the "standard", but is helps prevent people from using mic cables which is somewhat of a no-no and definitely not "DMX."

I was beginning to realize all that about the LED lights. I'm finding the LED DMX lights you describe. However they're to high tech for what I'm looking for. The lights I want to replace are can lights. Just to give a you a view; we have 38 can lights spread through 10 DMX-4 dimmers, daizy chained to an Elation dimmer board. All they need to do is light up the stage at my church and dim when I want. The DMX lights I'm finding do different colors and patterns, overkill for what I need. The only real reason I'm looking to change them is for more efficient power usage and not having to change the bulbs in every can atleast once a year.

I don't know of anyone making an LED replacement for a standard par64 bulb. I'm sure someone in this forum will speak up if I'm wrong. You can find fairly cheap white par fixtures at places like Cheaplights, but you will get what you pay for in terms of dimming smoothness. With these, you will not need the Chauvet dimmer packs, but will have to daisy-chain dmx cable from light to light and back to your controller. And, as JD says, where you were plugging the lights into the Chauvet units, you'll need a power strip/cube tap for raw 120.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back