Upstage Window in Mousetrap

So, I'm mounting Agatha Christie's Mousetrap this season, and I'm looking for an inexpensive and safe way to make the window upstage center. I want there to be something in the frame so I can add a fan upstage to blow the curtains around. But I am stumpped on what material to use.

I thought of using an iron-on model plane skinning material, such as Solarfilm, but I can't find any that is transparent. I saw THE production in London just this past week, and they had a translucent glass with painted detail, but I would be happy with a cellophane, but I'm afraid it will ripple when the window is opened, or when the fan is on.

Thoughts?

Heatshrink window insulation? It's pretty easy to come by in my climate.

I'm not sure I understand why the fan creates a need for the window to need something in the frame. Is it a cue timing issue? If so, a stagehand can make a gust of wind by flapping a board.

Heatshrink window insulation? It's pretty easy to come by in my climate.

I'm not sure I understand why the fan creates a need for the window to need something in the frame. Is it a cue timing issue? If so, a stagehand can make a gust of wind by flapping a board.

I'm thinking that the fan could come on prior to the widow opening and spin up, and opening the frame would allow for realistic timing. Flapping a board would be alright, but there is a blizzard and the window is left open for an extended length of time.

I always thought it would be cool to run some pvc up inside the window trim. drill a bunch of small holes in the window trim through the pipe and hook up a fan or compressor to the pipe offstage. Never had a need to do this but in my mind its a good way to get the curtains blowing while leaving the window unobstructed for the action

That would work.

I would like the snow to be able to "drift" on to the window mullions, which again needs an actual pane in the frame.

The heat shrink window film works great... Often too great. Depending on the location and angles, you can get a nasty reflection into the audience. I prefer to use silver screen door material for glass. It's not perfect, but it looks a lot like glass if you don't think about it too much. You can see through it mostly, and there's no chance of massive glare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back