Urgent Patch Help

Nivea

We're moving a show to a different venue today and I've been given a sheet of information to fill in..
The thing is.. I don't know that much about lighting, it's my first project.
I have a Patch sheet I need to fill in.. but I don't anything. All I have is my lighting plan with the different dimmer numbers on it.. but it's asking me for channel number and patch circuit.. I'm lost. Anyone online now?

We're moving a show to a different venue today and I've been given a sheet of information to fill in..
The thing is.. I don't know that much about lighting, it's my first project.
I have a Patch sheet I need to fill in.. but I don't anything. All I have is my lighting plan with the different dimmer numbers on it.. but it's asking me for channel number and patch circuit.. I'm lost. Anyone online now?

Sounds like your original light plot had only dimmer numbers, right? And you ran your light board off of those numbers, right?
So make the channel and patch the same as your dimmner numbers. That should do it. Good luck

Channel number is going to be what number you want the console to use to control each light on your plot. This may or may not match the dimmer numbers. The "patch circuit" on the paperwork likely refers to which physical plug each unit on your plot is plugged into.

To use my file cabinet analogy:

A Circuit is the print on the page

A Dimmer is the Paper

A Channel is the file folder.

You can have multiple things printed on the page, but they will be moved when you move the piece of paper. If you have half the paper, you have half of the words.

You can have one or multiple pieces of paper in a file folder, when you lift that folder up, you move those pieces of paper in the folder together.

As Hoffer suggested, a 1-1 patch might be easiest if possible, but if you are moving the show into another venue, you might need to adjust your plot to fit into the new space.

Well I'm making a new plan, a plan which have the dimmer numbers..
But how do I assign the channel numbers? Basically as we're moving to a new venue I've done a new plan.. but on the last one I didn't put channel numbers.. and I had it pointed out to me..

Well I'm making a new plan, a plan which have the dimmer numbers..
But how do I assign the channel numbers? Basically as we're moving to a new venue I've done a new plan.. but on the last one I didn't put channel numbers.. and I had it pointed out to me..

How did you control each light the last time? Did you bring up a specific fader or set of faders for each look?

Those numbers are your channel numbers. The dimmer/circuit numbers are what your lights will be connected to physically.

Do you know what kind of console you are going to be using? Are you using the same show file(s) as last time or reprogramming too?

Well if a lantern was on dimmer 26, I put that up on the board.. so I guess that's channel. We're moving the board (Strand Palette) so the show is saved on it. But how is it going to work moving it? Is there anything I need to know as Chief Lx to make things quicker and easier?

... But how do I assign the channel numbers? ...
Use any numbering scheme that makes sense to you. Perhaps the following threads may help:
Your philosophy on assigning channel numbers
1:1 patch: Do you use it?

Well if a lantern was on dimmer 26, I put that up on the board.. so I guess that's channel. We're moving the board (Strand Palette) so the show is saved on it. But how is it going to work moving it? ...
If your show was programmed in the old space using Channel#=Dimmer#, you likely want to keep the existing Channel#s and change only the dimmer#s to reflect the new space. Otherwise, you'd have to rewrite every cue. See also softpatch.

Well if a lantern was on dimmer 26, I put that up on the board.. so I guess that's channel. We're moving the board (Strand Palette) so the show is saved on it. But how is it going to work moving it? Is there anything I need to know as Chief Lx to make things quicker and easier?

Yes, the number you brought up on the console will be your channel number. It will be helpful to write that on your plot. Your patch paperwork will be immensely helpful if you are able to know which dimmers/circuits you will be using in the next space ahead of time. If you aren't sure (and even if you are) leave room on the paperwork to write in changes that you will end up making on site. I have never had a load-in that I didn't have to change at least one thing, so be flexible.

Since you are moving the board and presumably the cues are stored, you will want to familiarize yourself with how to soft-patch (tell the console which dimmers will be controlled by each channel).

Also since you are the person in charge, I find that it is helpful to have spares of any expendables that you are bringing ready. Make sure you keep a detailed list of everything that you are planning to bring and do bring so that you can get it back at the end of the run.

Be patient and calm and I am sure everything will go smoothly(/er)

You have two options here, and it may well depend on the venue which you go for. You can hard-patch, where you plug each lantern into the correct dimmer (so if you want a particular lantern on channel 27, you plug it into dimmer 27) and use a 1:1 patch on the desk, or you can soft-patch, where the lantern is plugged into whichever dimmer it gets plugged into, and you assign each dimmer to the correct channel on the desk. Some venues don't have the ability to hard-patch, which leaves you with no option but to soft-patch. Whichever way you go, you'll need to make a note of where each lantern is plugged in (circuit or wayline number) and either plug that wayline into the correct dimmer or soft-patch that dimmer (if there is no hard-patch, then the circuit number should be the dimmer number) to the correct channel. I normally print off a channel list which consists of channel number, fixture type, position, purpose and gel colour and has a blank column for circuit and one for dimmer - that way as each lantern is rigged and plugged in, you can add the circuit/dimmer number and that way patching is logical and pretty quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back