USB DMX512 doesn't have a driver!

Dkick

So I just bought a CYL-6602 USB DMX512 interface for my mini led moving head spot. I'm having trouble installing the driver for the interface, it tells my it doesn't contain a driver but it wont work on any programs that I try to run it on. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what. I'm just really confused on what to do. If you have any ideas on what I need to do, please let me know. Thanks.

Did it come with a CD? When I googled it Amazon pictured it with a CD.

What programs have you tried?

This website makes no sense to me.

I dunno much about the deeper side of computers (.dll stuff is to much for me) but Google has a lot of links on how you can get a new libusb0.dll. Be careful of viruses and all that while your searching.

All these dongles, are USB to serial adapters. A quick search on your adapter, suggests that it is a Chinese knockoff, so finding the real drivers for this device will be very hard. I would take a look at the enttec website. Try the driver for the USB DMX pro.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Any chance you were ever able to come up with a solution for this ? I've got the same device and I cant find driver support anywhere. It ran on an old computer for years, but that computer died and trying to get it set up on a new one has been impossible

The usual chip in these devices is from FTDI (or a knock-off of it). I might try installing the driver from the FTDI page and see if you connect. If you do go the route of downloading a libusb0.dll (and be very careful where you get it, those sites try to trick you into getting stuff you don't want), don't forget it probably has to be registered with regsrv32 before it's effective. I'd be able to help more if they had sent me a test unit.

The usual chip in these devices is from FTDI (or a knock-off of it). I might try installing the driver from the FTDI page and see if you connect. If you do go the route of downloading a libusb0.dll (and be very careful where you get it, those sites try to trick you into getting stuff you don't want), don't forget it probably has to be registered with regsrv32 before it's effective. I'd be able to help more if they had sent me a test unit.

Thanks for the advice. I gave this a shot but the device doesn't recognize the FTDI drivers.

We may be missing some points of information. Is it the case that when you open up Control Panel, go to System > Device Drivers, you see the interface listed with a yellow icon indicating a missing driver - or is it that your lighting software says it can't find an interface? They are different problems as you might expect.

We may be missing some points of information. Is it the case that when you open up Control Panel, go to System > Device Drivers, you see the interface listed with a yellow icon indicating a missing driver - or is it that your lighting software says it can't find an interface? They are different problems as you might expect.

When I open device manager I have a device named DMX512 with the yellow problem flag on it.

When I open device manager I have a device named DMX512 with the yellow problem flag on it.

Yes I did get it to work, I had to install a "libusb" file thing on to my computer. go and look it up and see how to install it, but once I did that it worked for me. let me know if it works.

Yes I did get it to work, I had to install a "libusb" file thing on to my computer. go and look it up and see how to install it, but once I did that it worked for me. let me know if it works.

Alright i'll give it a second look. I checked it out yesterday and it didn't seem exactly user friendly.

Alright i'll give it a second look. I checked it out yesterday and it didn't seem exactly user friendly.

So I gave Libusb another try. It installs okay and shows thaat the driver is functioning properly, but its not detected by the lighting software on this system (Martin Lightjockey). Not sure if there's a step i'm missing or maybe the software just isn't compatible.

I have had this problem when I brought my USB DMX dongle. I had to install LibUSB 64 bid driver, and another driver to get the unit to work. the libusb only gets the computer to recognise the unit you then need to install a driver like the dmx512.dll. You may also need to install an output plugin for the software your using. I use a really cheap dongle and DMXcontrol as its free and I only use it for testing fixtures and building channel lists. My plugin is: uDMXplug.out.dll let me know if you want me to upload the files I use.

So, a week or two ago it was released that FTDI had shipped a driver through Windows Update that would softbrick the chip inside any device that was using a *counterfeit* FTDI controller chip; is it possible that you might have gotten caught by this fiasco?

They did back it off a day or two later, after general -- and very specific (from Microsoft) disapproval of this approach...

So, a week or two ago it was released that FTDI had shipped a driver through Windows Update that would softbrick the chip inside any device that was using a *counterfeit* FTDI controller chip; is it possible that you might have gotten caught by this fiasco?

They did back it off a day or two later, after general -- and very specific (from Microsoft) disapproval of this approach...

I had a problem with this, you need to create a digital certificate for the Driver of install it a really strange way, I installed it by using back doors in the instillation process but I can't remember how I did it. Also you have to stop driver registration during boot up which can really mess up you computer..

I have had this problem when I brought my USB DMX dongle. I had to install LibUSB 64 bid driver, and another driver to get the unit to work. the libusb only gets the computer to recognise the unit you then need to install a driver like the dmx512.dll. You may also need to install an output plugin for the software your using. I use a really cheap dongle and DMXcontrol as its free and I only use it for testing fixtures and building channel lists. My plugin is: uDMXplug.out.dll let me know if you want me to upload the files I use.

So as luck would have it I was able to recover the original driver for this device from the driver repository in the messed up hard drive it was first installed on. It shows up as Sun-Light and installs with a combination of Libusb and manufacturer driver files. That being said it still doesn't show up in Light Jockey so i'd love to look at any additional files or ideas you think might work. I'm not a lights guy i'm a computer guy and I have no real DMX experience so some of this is a little foreign to me. I did read that newer versions of Light Jockey don't work with anything but their proprietary dongle, but i'm using a very old copy that's been running the dance floor lights in a club for years with the device we're discussing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back