Outboard Gear USB Headset with Telex/Clearcom system

chausman

Chase
Fight Leukemia
I have a wireless USB headset and I was wondering if there was a way to connect that to an existing Clearcom/Telex system. As far as the headset goes, it has a USB dongle that connects to a computer and sends signal to the headset.

Good luck with that one!!!.....
no really the chances of making that work good and reliable are very slim. plus you might even damage your intercom system.

Its possible that some one around here could help you make it work but i would not try it.
Thats my $0.02

Beyond having a computer between the USB headset and a clearcom box there is really no way to do it. There is no USB to clearcom interface.

Thats fine. I knew there wasn't something direct between the clearcom and USB. I just like that headset a lot more than the bulky clearcom ones. (Maybe I just need to find a clearcom headset that I like better...)

If you say it has a dongle at the USB end, then the wire probably runs the direct audio feeds. You could try cutting it and soldering it into a 4-pin XLR, but because COM'S use dynamic mics, and you'd probably have a condenser in the USB headset, you would need to add a bit of circuitry + a battery,

DIY Lightweight Clearcom Headset - Mat Goebel: Sound Designer

I've been meaning to get the parts and build just a converter that lets me plug any 3.5mm pc headset in with a 4 pin XLR + battery on the other end, but haven't yet.

If you say it has a dongle at the USB end, then the wire probably runs the direct audio feeds. You could try cutting it and soldering it into a 4-pin XLR, but because COM'S use dynamic mics, and you'd probably have a condenser in the USB headset, you would need to add a bit of circuitry + a battery,

DIY Lightweight Clearcom Headset - Mat Goebel: Sound Designer

I've been meaning to get the parts and build just a converter that lets me plug any 3.5mm pc headset in with a 4 pin XLR + battery on the other end, but haven't yet.

Its a wireless USB headset.... no wires involved.

Using a computer as an interface would work, but the problem, as stated by cpf, is that your mic would always be on, or you would have to use vox. UNLESS, you could find a way to wire a small switch into the mic on the headset itself.

Using a computer as an interface is simple enough. You just make yourself a female XLR4 to dual female 3.5mm mono adapter. Then, connect the talk portion to your speaker out on the computer, and the listen portion to the line-in on the computer. Make sure your line-in is unmuted in Windows Advanced Volume Control.

This is assuming that you can find a way to mute your mic though...

EDIT: Never mind, that would create pure feedback. I cannot think of a good way to do this offhand. Probably better to just find a real Clear-Com headset that you like.

Last edited:
There is now a bluetooth adaptor
called a BLUESET by JK Audio

JK Audio

I don't have any experience with this device as it appears to be new to the market.

proxy.php

http://broadcastengineering.com/audio/jk-audio-blueset-converts-intercom-wireless-via-bluetooth-20100613/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back