USB To DMX Adapter

nick30

Hi. I can't seem to get my lights to work. I tried to use a KMTronic USB to Dmx adapter. One side connects to DMX and one side connects to a Ethernet cable. I can't seem to get it to work. I downloaded Show Xpress. It read no universe found when I connected it to a dimmer (with dip switches). I tried to use another software it read: "No Input Found". I am using Windows 8.
Thank you.

A quick Google of the software shows that one side would be 3-pin DMX and the other is a USB, no? Hence the name "USB to DMX adapter". If nothing seems to be working, maybe try a very basic software like " http://www.kmtronic.com/kmtronic-dmx-test-software.html ". That should make it easy to see whether or not there is a hardware issue. What kind of dimmer are you trying to use it with? Are you using intelligent lighting?
I am trying to run Eliminator dimmer packs. to be used for par cans.

Also -- strictly speaking, DMX is a protocol, not a piece of hardware -- so you're adapting USB to 3- or 5-pin XLR. Don't know about Windows outputting DMX, but if you want to make sure it's not the dimmers, pick up a DMXter device (handheld tri-corder lookin' thing that's super handy for troubleshooting).Have you downloaded the manual from Chauvet? What version are you using?

To be particularly pedantic, E1.11 - 2008, USITT DMX512-A is a standard that encompasses the physical characteristics of the transport layer (EIA-485) and a variable length packet protocol. USB is also a standard which embodies both the physical characteristics and the signalling protocol. So converting from USB to DMX involves a change in physical connectors AND a change in protocol. But you already knew that...

I'm order to use show express, you're going to need chavet's ShoXpress 512 Dmx controller. It doesn't work with other controllers (they won't make money any other way)

Sent from my HTC DNA via Tapatalk Pro!

I would highly suspect that the problem lies with trying to get your computer to talk to the dmx converter chip in your dongle (generic name for your adapter.) Some lighting control software will only work with a special dedicated dongle. If that's the case, then you may be at a dead end. However, don't give up yet. Inside that dongle are two chips (basically.) One listens to the USB port and deals with the driver and handshake with the computer, the other converts the output of the first chip to RS-485 (DMX.) The Dongle should talk to the computer and the computer then loads the appropriate driver. (basic plug-and-play) So, make sure that part is happening. Once you get the two to talk, DMX data should flow out of the dongle like a river!

Here is your issue, with Showexpress you can only use there USB to DMX adapters. So you'll have to purchase there hardware for it to work, i would suggest download Freestyler it works pretty well, and im sure your adapter will work with it unlike showexpress

Users who are viewing this thread

Back