Use VLC to Download Youtube Videos

NickVon

A great article in how to use vlc to open a youtube "capture" stream and determine the "file location on the interwebs" and use that link to open in a web browser that will prompt a download option or allow a right click "
"Save video as..."

https://fossbytes.com/how-to-download-youtube-videos-using-vlc-media-player/

To amazing not to share. As I'm sure I am not the only one who has students/ staff /faculty /clients bring a YouTube link and ask to have it presented in a PowerPoint, Q-Lab or an extended desktop looking all professional situation.

Just a heads up, downloading content that isn't specifically listed for it is a violation of the Terms of Service. It is easy enough to work around in a lot of ways, but has the potential to get you and your organization in trouble.

1. Content is provided to you AS IS. You may access Content for your information and personal use solely as intended through the provided functionality of the Service and as permitted under these Terms of Service. You shall not download any Content unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content. YouTube and its licensors reserve all rights not expressly granted in and to the Service and the Content.

VLC works, but if you're ok with a command line youtube-dl does that and more. It's an open-source python script (or a windows .exe), so no selling your soul to some sketchy website either.
You can specify preferred input/output format, resolution, subtitles, etc. Tons of options, but the defaults are usually fine too.

Yeah, and that will stop exactly nobody. If a presenter brings me imbedded links that need to run in his/her presentation, we'll find a way to download the content because *I* will be the person blamed/fired when link fails at showtime.

This is also why we try to get presenters to acquire, format and clear all clips, but sometimes the VP in charge of Nothing Important can't be bothered.

I love VLC for so many reasons. Access to NVS streams primarily.

I've used ClipGrab for the last few years. Every 4-12 weeks Youtube and Vimeo change something that defeats it but the developer gets updates out pretty quickly to stay on top of that.

As with any freeware, they try to get you to install search bars and so forth when you install. Read the prompts carefully and don't be afraid to click No and you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back