Automated Fixtures Used R2 vs RX1

Which mover should I pick?

• Used Chauvet R2

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • New Chauvet RX 1

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
I know the R2's are brighter but I'm not sure how many hours are on the used batch I'm looking at. From what I've read both lights are well regarded and people that purchase them are usually very happy.

I guess my question is should I risk the condition of the R2's and possible hours on them or just buy some Rx1's for the same price and know exactly the condition I'm getting them in? Right now they're both pretty close in cost. (I'm looking at dealer costs for the new movers).

Thanks in advance!

It would depend on who is selling them for me. Rental gear is often beaten and abused and I wouldn't buy, but if the person selling it also used the gear they probably took better care of it.
It's coming out of 4Wall. I'm about to email to ask them if they have particulars about these but I know they're a big company and may not track all that info.

4Wall sells their old rental inventory and also sell equipment on consignment through usedlighting.com and those two options would be pretty different for me personally. That being said if you expect to use the fixtures pretty immediately upon purchasing them you can probably figure out if they're well taken care or lemons within their 90 warranty period. If you'll use the extra intensity I might go for it. If it matters to you, they're local to me and I buy all of my data cable from their used stock and they are one of my preferred vendors for new equipment. They have always treated me fairly.

Do you mean the R1X? I take it your asking about spots.

On paper, the R2 doesn't seem that much brighter than the R1X.

If it's the 4wall rental stock ("UL Owned" logo) I'd go for the R2 Spots. 2 color wheels and frost make it more versatile than the R1Xs. The beam on the R2 spots is also bigger exiting out of the lens becuase of the larger lens, and that's something I really like with the R2s.

All the movers I've ever seen on gigs rented from 4wall have been in fantastic shape. They take good care of their stuff. I can also say that the Rogue line are incredibly reliable and durable units having worked in a rental shop that stocked the R2 Spots and R1 Washes and now with Squeek Lights where we have a 5 different flavors of Rogues in inventory. They're rock solid units.

I will say though if you care about size the R1Xs are smaller, and the output difference won't be that much. We have 18 R1X in inventory and they're great units. Crazy bright for the size/power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back