Useless College Majors

Really though, teenagers have about 3 emotions.

Being a father of several of these creatures, I would venture to say;

1) Happily confused
2) Unhappily confused
3) Confused and in denial

;)

Talking to numerous manufacturers, reps, Architects, dealers, contractors, consultants, etc., there is one part of that report that does match the impression I've gotten. Apparently the model now is to improve profitability by being more effective in the manufacturing, service provisions and so on so and then try to sell more of whatever it is you offer. Thus companies are hiring more people to market, sell and manage compared to those to actually create the products or provide the services.

Being a father of several of these creatures, I would venture to say;

1) Happily confused
2) Unhappily confused
3) Confused and in denial

;)

You forgot one.... Let's just say it keeps Trojan in business

You forgot one.... Let's just say it keeps Trojan in business

No he covered that, see option 1 for boys option 2 for girls.

Although it is obvious which majors could be considered more difficult or which majors could be considered more likely to get a job with, I would say that it is 100% up to the student getting the degree to decide if he will have a job coming out of college or not. Yes art majors and theater majors have a hard time finding jobs right out of college but I still believe if you work hard enough and network the best of your ability then you'll be able to find work at some point. Based on real statistics from the institute of education sciences, here is a good list of the most popular majors Fast Facts. I think that although many majors carry more time and effort than others, its still all about finding the major that fits you best. we can argue which is the best or easiest and coming from a communication graduate, I found it to be a very successful degree in terms of finding a good job post graduation that I am happy with. If you're interested check out Get a Degree in Communications: Online Communication Degrees which will show you some programs that you might be interested in and answer any questions you have about getting a degree in communication.

Anyone can go out and get a theater degree but I feel you have to make the extra effort to go out outside of the classroom, and join different groups and focus on meeting people that can lead you into the right direction after college. You have the ability to do whatever you want after you complete your degree as long as you use your connections and the resources your handed while in school.

My two cents - I hold an MFA, went to undergrad and grad school with virtually no debt after 7 years. I gained in leaps and bounds as a designer and programmer simply because I didn't have access to any of the gear in my hometown or the knowledge of the industry itself. My degrees have never determined my job since I'm not teaching, but the experiences I had in college certainly shaped who I am and how I approach my work. I encourage people to strongly consider college while I still acknowledge that college prices are out of control, and the economy is forcing more of our youth directly into the work force. If you think college is in your path, research scholarships. Learn to network as preparation for the real world. Where I work has been largely a result of networking, and my cold applications never went far since there are so many looking for jobs. Either direction you choose, hard work lays ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back