user names

My school has problems with different groups coming in and changing all of our setting on our strand 300 lighting board. We would like to have at least to user names, (one bring drama, the other being guest) We did some looking around and all we found was strand lighting server software, so now i have to questions first does any one know the price, second is there a free way to do what i asking?

I would suggest just saving your show to a floppy disk. They come in, change whatever they change, then just go in and re-load the show from the floppy disk.

There were a few times in the past that I was teching for one show while running another in different theaters on the same board. Just kept all data on the floppy disk and loaded and re-loaded show data into the console.

You can do it without needing the server software. What you have to do is set up the console to make a login, its in the console setup screen. You then have to exit to DOS and find your admin acount, type: edit admin. It should take you to a blue screen that you can then go in a modify user settings in the admin acount. DO NOT MODIFY THE ADMIN ACOUNT! You can do a "save as" to make multiple copies of the admin acount and then modify the new acounts. Set up the passwords in the blue screen then reboot. After you reboot go into user setup under advanced setup and set up what you want each user to do. On most consoles I program on I set up one for the carps without a login that gives them a work light sub, one for the designer so he/she can turn stuff on but can't record, one for the show operator that allows them to basicly press go, and one for the ME that allows them to turn stuff on and patch but not record anything.

I can't remember the exact button pushes to get your setup working, but if you are having problems I can jump behind a console after Thanksgiving and give you a more rock solid answer.

I don't think he wants to make the console inaccessible to people, I think he is just trying to create a way to allow people to make changes to the console, but not to effect his personal use of the console.

This is why I suggested simply keeping a version of the "show" he is happy with on a floppy. People can come in, do whatever they want to the board, reprogram resoftpatch, whatever, and all he has to do when he wants everything back to normal is stick the disk in and "read show from disk" as ETC calls it.

I don't think he wants to make the console inaccessible to people, I think he is just trying to create a way to allow people to make changes to the console, but not to effect his personal use of the console.
This is why I suggested simply keeping a version of the "show" he is happy with on a floppy. People can come in, do whatever they want to the board, reprogram resoftpatch, whatever, and all he has to do when he wants everything back to normal is stick the disk in and "read show from disk" as ETC calls it.

Not the same on strand. On an ETC all of your user settings are saved on the show file, on strand they are not. You can go into user setting on a strand and mess up alot of stuff VERY VERY quickly. Also, user settings (which is what he was talking about in the first place) can be highly customizable on a strand, so much so that if I sit down at a console configured by someone else I feel like I am not even on the console I am used to.

footer is right on, but i thought you could do it without exiting to dos but here is the manual for it
http://www.strandlight.com/Manuals/Light Pallette On Line/page21.htm#anchor128388
edit:
sorry footer, i cannot type alot of the time...

Haven't ever seen it typed out like that, good to know. I always spend about 15 min trying to remember what exacly I need to do in each screen when I set up new users (only do it about every few months or so). I'll have to keep that around.

i thought it was possible to save all settings to a disk on the strands, including patch, layouts, etc... I dont remember but that might also be because the two consoles i used were only used by like three people, everyone else just knew push go, or slide sub 2 up

Ok, so, going back to my original idea. What does write on a Strand 300 when you "write show to disk"? If you get your cues and subs, then that should be enough.

I honestly have never used a strand (never even found a theater that used a strand) so I am taking my guesses from how the ETC consoles behave.

So, as I said, if you can get your cues and subs onto a floppy disk, just keep that safe and reload your show after the rentals finish.

When you save a show to a disc on the Strand 300, all information is saved, inculding the Setup. It saves everything (Archive, Save Show, Save Show), then lets you select what to load. I used the same board last year. You shouldn't have any problems, but you should save more than one just in case. If guests persist in destroying your system, the board has a nifty memory lock in Report, Adv Setup, Acces Rights, Memory Lock, password (which is always 3171), then press enter. Same thing to unlock it. It may be usefull for anyone who wants to record the information themselves, then the guests can't record anything themselves.
(I miss that feature on my ETC board)

It sounds mostly like you are having issues with them changing recorded subs. those will save to disk and when you load them back they will reappear.

If they are also changing user settings than setting up different access accounts as Footer was describing should do it. Then you would have a main and a guest login with different user costomizable contents in each. then it would just be a matter of loading the show file you want to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back