Ushio releases the SPH 575Watt/115volt lamp

Lightingguy32

The title basically states the new product, but my question is, can this lamp be used in the older style black Altman 360Qs that have reflectors made before ~1999 (pre-superreflector) and blue lenses? I am asking this becauase I am tired of the EHGs color temperature that does not match up with our newer inventory of ETC Source Four/ Source Four Jr fixtures. I am assuming this lamp is a safer bet than say the GLD or the HPR which will most definetly burn a hole in the older style reflector. According to the spec sheet, the lamp is a universal fit into any existing fixture using a G9.5 base type lamp and will fit in fixtures that use the GLC/GLA, FLK, or FEL. So this means the altman 360Q (newer models), the Star Par, the Strand SL and Shakespeare, newer colortran units, older colortran units that ran on FELs and several other fixtures that I don't know of. The lamp appears to be a cross in between the filaments of an EHG and an GLC/HPL filament geometry (they took the coiled coil design and flipped it onto a horizontal axis and then wound the coil diamter a little larger). The spec sheet is here : http://www.ushio.com/products/entertainment/h-sph.htm#

That is all for now. More information will be available later.

I wants one so as I can play with it!

wow I think this topic takes the prize as the first lamp thread that has intersted me!

Holy crap in finishing up a long reply and going to the Ushio website and than exiting out of it and sub parts of the website, I just erased like two hours of post I was writing here when I hit the upper as opposed to lower X key one too many times.

Down to just printing up Usho's PDF of a GLC verses the SPH so I could measure and compare line drawings of the two in filament size... It was a concluding point....

Last edited:
You could do it first in Word then copy-past.

Darn, and I really wanted to know your answer too.

could do and that's what I normally would do but in this instance I did not.

Let me think about it a few days and it might while not not being as immediate be just as thought out... Let it be assured on the other hand that by the end of next week I will have this lamp on the other hand and do the testing. This lamp type is my pet field of study.

Sorry about that Ship. I know your main. My college off campus e-mail software has the habit of booting you off at random times but you don't know it until you hit send and then it's too late. Several times I've spent over an hour carefully wording a delicate message to an important person on campus only to have it vaporize when I click send.

I eagerly await the results of your experimentation with the new lamp.

did some study (again...) here is the questions I had to my Ushio rep.

So on line I have been made aware of the new SPH 575/115v lamps. Informed on-line about a new lamp before me in having thought to have signed up for the Ushio news letter and also at times getting samples of new lamps to play test - knew about such a lamp. Really hate when either production manager or customer informs me of a lamp before I had a chance to study it. Any chance I can be verified to be at least in the loop for press releases I believe I already signed up for? :<

A few questions on my part came up about this and the Ushio GLC lamp which does not fit into my lamp specs chart of all lamps correctly next to the other GLC/FLK lamps in their catagory.

First on the Ushio GLC, it says that it is a 600w/115v lamp, than other notes I have say it is a 575w/115v lamp. Is this 600w a typo given all other ANSI GLC lamps on the market are 575w/115v and a different Ushio spec says it is allso 575w or is it correct that it is a 600w lamp and more the reason the Ushio lamp has much better luminous output than any other brand - or at least not by much in that balance of color temperature and luminous output but given the wattage boosting the output also? (Side question, does Ushio still sell the HX-800 and HX-801 or have they complied with in lamp the GLD/HX-754 and GLE/HX-755 in it being 750w/115v? Or altogether discontinued?)

Second, what is the filament size on the SPH lamp? (I note this specifically missing from the lamp specs and a very important measurement to declare in modern days just as important as cc-6 which tells filament support and double coil info but not filament size.) A Philips GLC lamp (c-13D filament lamp) for instance measures 9x7.5mm, and from what I can tell by way of Ushio's line drawing it is 14x6mm, +/- 1mm. Filament size is incredibly important in point source or at least square filament directed light efficiency over at times bulk/wide filament output especially for gobo projected patterns. Would the SPH be more similar if not worse than the GLC and HPR (below) in projecting patterns in a third generation Leko given what the expected filament size is, or is there something about the lamp which would make for better pattern projection than either of the above given comperable high output lamps?

What given a normal GLC lamp has a c-13D filament and the SPH lamp has a cc-6 filament would be the problems and or benefits of both types of filament - single verses double coil and or filament hangers in both instances? How does the cc rating of the SPH lamp lead to the advantage given a double coil but less filament hangers or coils in a smaller cubic area? (Perhaps bringing back Dr. Bulb from the olden days of Ushio can help further educate me into understanding these concepts - miss lamp education classes. More refined, is filament spacing a limitation in making brighter source lamps for directed light fixtures but not as much for wash fixtures, and this transverse (or trans axial) filament the reason why it is more efficient than a GLC and theoretically the same or better than a FLK in a wash type PAR fixture? Sort of understand how this trans axial filament in a wash type PAR or even fresnel fixture could be the case, but in advertising the transverse (trans axial) filament in being different Ushio in advertising should better have explained the principal of why.) What optically about moving the filament by 90 degrees makes this lamp more efficient in a PAR fixture?

I'm noting in the literature that while the filament is designed for beam uniformity and a smoother field, it is not as much recommended in advertising for Ellipsoidal Reflector Spotlights as opposed to PAR type beams of light. Is this a factor of the above filament size in noting it being larger or for other reasons such as in-line and spaced instead of stacked/staggered filament or even filament grid type closer filament cross sections?

What is it about the lamp which gives it 20% more output than GLC lamps (including Ushio's own) which given it's transverse filament makes it more efficient in both luminous output and color temperature than most if not all lamps? The details on the cut sheet don't explain why given a transverse filament it is giving a more intense light source, can I get further details on this? How at also 15 to 20% more output does it compare to the Osram HPR 575/115v lamp with its interior reflector (15 to 20% more output as advertised in output after the overall lamp specs) - this given a FLK base to the lamp design filament to the HPR is a problem for point source of light, but a internal reflector that completes the ellipse of the fixtures reflector does help and a even if FLK filament smaller than the SPH at 6.35x11.68mm filament how does the SPH compare to this lamp in both the Leko and PAR type fixture? I have seen/play tested that the HPR in in many ways out-punches a HPL lamped comperable ETC S-4 fixture in a Leko if not PAR type fixture (un-tested) and a GLC lamped Leko by way of at least flatter field, would the SPH lamp given it's expected more output be expected to out power both the HPR and HPL in the same way of flatter field and more punch or just that of the GLC in overall punch? IN a Leko, would the SPH also be proposed to be brighter than a HPL, out punch a GLC and HPR?

I'm also noting in comparing lamp specs that the color temperature, lamp life and luminous output of the SPH lamp are the exact same as that of the HPR (before internal reflector comes to play) and most including Ushio FLK lamps on the market which while more old school are for the most part similar in bulk light output still larger than GLC filament size. 8x18mm to 5.5x12.5mm dependant upon brand/year made for the FLK. Is the SPH more realistically comperable and similar if not larger given filament size to the FLK with its larger flament but more output than a GLC - this only a FLK with a transverse instead of axial filament? Kind of wondering in studying the lamp specs this compares to.

For the SPH 575/LL lamp, I note that while the long life GLA alternative has more luminous output as similar to the high output version, it has average lamp life almost half that of a GLA if not in some cases lower color temperature and most important only 800 hours of lamp life instead of the norm of 1,500 to 2,000 lamp hours. Is this a typo or correct in it being a middle ground between a long life 575w/115v lamp and a high output normally 300 hour lamp? Not that a middle ground balance between output and lamp life is a bad thing persay.

Finally, while normally mostly I buy the lamps for a ETC S-4 fixture based house, I do at times specify and stock for resale lamps for other applications. Would it be possible for me to play test this lamp against the lamps and fixtures above for my personal knowledge and education beyond the questions above?

Last edited:
In other words, and in quick short form answer.

Not sure why one would be worried about a 575w lamp of any type SPH, HPR, or GLC burning up your lamp base/reflectors if a 750w lamp has not, nor why one would think the same wattage/voltage SPH lamp would if it were a concern in the other two lamp types be safer given it has similar or more output.

In looking at the lamp specs, the SPH lamp is similar in output to that of a FLK lamp. We already know the GLC in actual output from the fixture outclasses a FLK in a Leko for output and especially for pattern projection. Yes the GLC has less luminous output but the smaller filament more efficiently sends light out the front of the fixture. The SPH lamp while still in question of actual filament seems to be at least as large in filament size as a FLK if not even larger thus less efficient in a Leko. Ushio’s advertising says it can be used in a Leko but does not really by way of wording recommend this lamp for use in Lekos

The Ushio lamp in being similar to a FLK lamp in specified output than would in theory for a focused beam of light be less in output than a HPR lamp for luminous output out the fixture. The HPR lamp uses the filament of a FLK lamp and gets it’s 15 to 20% more output from the internal reflector as a calculation after the specified luminous output. IN other words take that output of both lamps and add to that the added efficiency of completing the ellipse of the fixture reflector. The added efficiency of the HPR lamp is added to the fixture efficiency not the lamp efficiency.

On the other hand, given the FLK, HPR and SPH all have large filaments, in a Leko the smaller filament of the GLC at least for pattern projection use should be more efficient as a point source of light. The HPR lamp I still recommend for a broad punch of light which is flat field and intense - this even if some of it's light output given a larger filament is blocked by the fixture's gate and efficiency still it should be brighter for a even base of light.

Now, given in our case you would tend to project patterns with your S-4 fixtures, need for the GLC lamp over a more intense even wash from the HPR would be counter productive in need. I would recommend in your situation either HPR lamps for high output uses or GLA lamps for long life general use. (Long life lamps are not assumed to be in use - they shoud be in both the case of the S-4 and other Lekos - more cost effective.) The GLA lamp has been known to be similar in output out of the fixture to that of a EHG lamp, only with the 115v color temperature blue light. Any of these final three lamps would be optimum for your fixtures in playing nice with the S-4 fixtures.

This all about the lamp in a Leko fixture. The SPH lamp does not seem geared in even Ushio’s literature towards use of it as a Leko lamp. (look closely at the wording.) Sure it will work, so will lots of other lamp types. It more seems geared towards being a PAR lamp in such fixtures as the S-4 PAR alternative fixtures such as a Star Par if not even what was that three lamp PAR 64 color changing fixture of a few years ago?

The transverse filament in being more like that of a normal PAR lamp’s also transverse axial filament might in fact have some advantages over that of a axial filament in a PAR fixture. This especially for the oval beam of light known to PAR fixtures. This assuming of course the reflector of the fixture properly makes best use of the filament in this position as opposed to axially mounted. Might just be better, and on a PAR lamp, the filament spacing won’t be quite as important, if even a larger filament area might be of an advantage in an even wash.

Thus my thoughts on the new Ushio lamp. Very curious for a PAR type fixture, but I wouldn’t recommend it for a Leko based on its filament construction. The SPH lamp trans axial filament that should provide a more oval beam of light would in fact not be so good for a projected round beam of light coming out of a Leko. You would loose a lot of light and efficiency from this oval beam specilized filament in a reflector designed to focus a point source of light or at most a linear axial filament and might theoretically only get as much light out of the fixture as a EHD lamp at best.

Last edited:
New Lamp: Ushio SPH575

More details at SPH 575 - Halogen - Entertainment - USHIO. C'mon, ship, give us all the dirt. Will this lamp make my thirty year-old Lekos out-shoot a SourceFour?
proxy.php

edit: I learned of this lamp from full-page ad on page 17 of the September 2008 issue of Stage Directions.

Last edited:
Re: New Lamp: Ushio SPH575

I don't think that this lamp is going to kill the source four...while it may help a lot of older fixture shoot further...there is no replacement for great optics. The S4 is ground to be much more optically precise then the older fixtures that it replaced. IMO that lamp will help people who have a large inventory of older fixtures, but it's not going to replace an S4.

You mean my 1KL's aren't going to be competitors of the S4?

You mean my 1KL's aren't going to be competitors of the S4?

No, your 1KL's aren't going to put the S-4 out of compitition unless you went Philips #6981P in them optically speaking.

Hmm, you know next time my Ushio rep calls me, gonna have to have a talk with her... Could sware I remember this lamp's coming to market but not sufficient to note it. On the other hand, the Osram HPR 575/115 lamp is the same output.

The HPR did best in testing the HPL lamp. Chief interests are filaments and reflectors here in that in the photo it kind of looks like this Ushio lamp also has an internal reflector but it's not mentioned in the specs. Filament wise, Osram made a mistake in doing a cc-8 FLK filament in its HPR lamp, the Ushio lamp did a GLC like cc-6 filament in it - though I would rather after that info if both companies would follow thru in size of filament as Philips has started to do as a norm. How close or better are either to a 9x8mm filament square area in size? (This of the Philips GLC Planar or Bi-Plane Compact Source Filament lamp.) Still cc-6 should be smaller in being a pin-point than that of a cc-8 in size. If it is a reflector I see in the lamp, that would be a better lamp.

If not an internal reflector there between base and filament glass hanger, that's up for grabs given the same output but better filament.

Hmm that spells play test for me and I'll do it ASAP.

Hmm, again... stumped on lamps, thanks - gonna have to speak to some sales people that call me monthly yet are not interested in other than presenting what sales I do per year as opposed to helping me buy more or keeping me informed in what's new or important to note....

Yep, that's business. Hopefully at some point I'll be able to constantly stay up on what's newest.

By the way on the BTH lamp.... anyone have problems in drop testing them? One of my two samples I dropped by accident and it went bye bye. Not as good of packaging on this lamp as a BTL of the same brand in my opinion and I did mention that to the rep., but as yet I'm probably the first to fumble finger the new lamp so it didn't go far beyond study into the problem.

Last edited:

No, your 1KL's aren't going to put the S-4 out of compitition unless you went Philips #6981P in them optically speaking.

Hmm, you know next time my Ushio rep calls me, gonna have to have a talk with her... Could sware I remember this lamp's coming to market but not sufficient to note it. On the other hand, the Osram HPR 575/115 lamp is the same output.

The HPR did best in testing the HPL lamp. Chief interests are filaments and reflectors here in that in the photo it kind of looks like this Ushio lamp also has an internal reflector but it's not mentioned in the specs. Filament wise, Osram made a mistake in doing a cc-8 FLK filament in its HPR lamp, the Ushio lamp did a GLC like cc-6 filament in it - though I would rather after that info if both companies would follow thru in size of filament as Philips has started to do as a norm. How close or better are either to a 9x8mm filament square area in size? (This of the Philips GLC Planar or Bi-Plane Compact Source Filament lamp.) Still cc-6 should be smaller in being a pin-point than that of a cc-8 in size. If it is a reflector I see in the lamp, that would be a better lamp.

If not an internal reflector there between base and filament glass hanger, that's up for grabs given the same output but better filament.

Hmm that spells play test for me and I'll do it ASAP.

Hmm, again... stumped on lamps, thanks - gonna have to speak to some sales people that call me monthly yet are not interested in other than presenting what sales I do per year as opposed to helping me buy more or keeping me informed in what's new or important to note....

Yep, that's business. Hopefully at some point I'll be able to constantly stay up on what's newest.

By the way on the BTH lamp.... anyone have problems in drop testing them? One of my two samples I dropped by accident and it went bye bye. Not as good of packaging on this lamp as a BTL of the same brand in my opinion and I did mention that to the rep., but as yet I'm probably the first to fumble finger the new lamp so it didn't go far beyond study into the problem.

Ship,
didn't I mention this lamp to you (the SPH) like 6 or 8 months ago?

Lightingguy32, indeed you did introduce us to this lamp in a post back on January 18, 2008, ([URL="http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/6751-ushio-releases-sph-575watt-115volt-lamp.html"[/URL]). Ship went into detail about the construction of the lamp & comparisons to the GLC/GLA & HPL, and noted the transverse axial filament being better suited for PAR rather than ERS fixtures

I have been using these lamps as a GLC/GLA replacement in Wybron Nexeras. They are noticeably brighter than a GLC, although I don't have a light meter to document the difference. Although the Nexeras produce beautiful color, the optics are relatively poor compared to a Source Four, so it's difficult to offer a subjective evaluation on any difference in beam due to the SPH's transverse filament versus the GLC. Through my regular supplier, they are about $4 more per lamp than a GLC, but the slight difference in brightness is worth that additional cost, for me. The failure rate for these SPH lamps is approaching an unacceptable level, however. Typically, they will blow within 5 to 15 minutes of installation; if they make it past the first 15 minutes, they will go somewhere close to the rated life. I've lost close to 8 lamps, but my supplier has replaced most of them. After examining three of the failed lamps, Ushio claimed failure was not due to a lamp problem. While I have had some socket problems with the Nexeras, none of these lamps failed in fixtures with socket issues & the non-socket-issue failures had replacement SPH lamps which worked fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back