Ushio releases the SPH 575Watt/115volt lamp

Re: New Lamp: Ushio SPH575

Ship,
didn't I mention this lamp to you (the SPH) like 6 or 8 months ago?

hmm, sorry, been a busy few months and I must have forgotton to look further into it though I know I had seen it before and it was in my lamp specs. chart. Interested now in looking into it soon.

Bringing this thread back as I've had a chance to do a quick test with the SPH lamp in my Lekolite 10x23's... and in short, I'm not so impressed.
A quick side by side comparison yields the FEL about 15-20% brighter than the SPH. I'll post pictures at a later time when I can get a better medium to project them on other than my black stage deck (for photography reasons). I've got orchestra shell clouds in the way at the moment, awaiting a paint job. Gotta finish that project first. :lol:

I have not tried this lamp yet but for a long time I believed the GLC to be a better performer than the FEL in terms of light out of the fixture. Until I did a side by side comparison with an FEL, GLC, GLA and enhanced FLK all using new Osram lamps. I hung four identical 15 degree to 30 degree zoom fixtures side by side from a 75 foot FOH position without telling the the House Tech which lamp was in each fixture. He focused them and rated them in terms of performance (brightness and eveness of field. We then re hung them for a first electric position - the results were the same. I even swapped the burner assemblies but it did not change his rating.

Everytime he preffered the fixture with the FEL, the GLC was next. However he found the light from all lamps to be acceptable.

I expected the GLC to win and was surprised it did not. Note all fixtures had just been fully overhauled which involved complete dissassembly, cleaned, painted, bench focussed and rebuilt using new parts where required and all the reflectors were in as new condition.

The fixtures were the predecessor to the Colortran 5/50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back