Using 2 followspots with 3+ primaries-WoZ

Amanda

We are putting on Wizard of Oz and I am curious what is everyone's rule of thumb when having 3+ primaries on the stage for a number. We've got 2 spots and they both open up to over half the width of the stage. Do I stick with Dorothy/primary soloist and then open up wider to pick up the rest of the group? I don't have any moving instruments. Curious on thoughts.

Thanks!

Yep normally when I am using spots and need to cover more subjects than I have spots, I will try to capture more than one person in each spot. However if they're not stood near each other, this can end up totally white washing the stage and be a problem in itself.

Can you add another followspot just for this scene? Perhaps a narrow angle profile and an iris?

I ran the only followspot for a production of "The Music Man" and had to deal with a very wide spot at times during the library scene as Prof. Hill chased the librarian arround the stage. The followspot didn't really have enough punch, so the whitewashing the whole stage problem wasn't too bad. If you can't get a third spot using the source four on a stick type trick or renting equipment, you'll need to discuss options with the director - 1) do the scene with only a lead followspot with enough stage wash to cover the others, 2) keep the blocking such that only one (at a time) of the three separates from the group enough to be in a separate followspot [this may require extra rehearsal time to get the transitions between who each spot covers when down], or 3) accept poor lighting.

Reactions: Les
To me, this is where the "is a followspot the correct tool" question comes in to play. The purpose of a followspot (I feel) is to highlight a performer. When you get a group on stage, maybe you should put them in an area or wide special. Otherwise I think it kind of defeats the purpose.

Alternately, you could have one followspot on Dorothy and only cover the others when they are singing or speaking. I personally try to limit my followspot use by only bringing them in during solos/duets. Anything more is an ensemble, which is where the rest of the design comes in to play.

Reactions: Ric
To me, this is where the "is a followspot the correct tool" question comes in to play.
Exactly this. If your perfomers are too far apart, or you have too many of them to effectively cover with a follow spot, then the scene needs to be lit with ANYTHING else except a followspot.
A followspot should cover one person,or a couple dancing, anything more than that and it just looks like crap.

The purpose of a followspot (I feel) is to highlight a performer.

+ infinity

A followspot is only one tool in a huge arsenal that designers and directors can use to direct focus on stage, and arguably one of the more heavy-handed. If the focus is that shared, I would light them equally, or if they don't move around too much, highlight the area of the stage where they are (as Les said). All emphasis is no emphasis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back