Using a wall dimmer for a Source four follow spot??

Plenty of surface mounted boxes - I think it's the pigtail that inlet that may be tougher to resolve. Maybe use a panel mount inlet in the box. Pretty sure that is acceptable.

proxy.php

NEC requires using products within their NRTL listing. So code does forbid!

Further, a device intended for resessed used as exposed, is why they hurt so much and get banged up. Exterior boxes solve much of that. I saw such a product with plastic boxes, but can't find the link right now.[/QUOTE

Molex-Woodhead makes the rubberized outlet boxes. They now make black !, used to be yellow only. Worth the $75 or so, they stay together for years.

Don't forget the much loved O.A. Windsor boxes.
https://www.oawindsor.com/
This is a very unique company, it's worth reading the history on the website.
Here is a Google view of the factory:
OAWindsorHQ.PNG

Thank you guys - after reading this I think I will probably go with the store bought version and attempt this on my next build. I really appreciate the advice. Great people.
@DannyDepac Alternately you could always use an autotransformer dimmer, Variac if you prefer a brand name. Decades ago I used three Source Fours for follow spots on an amateur production of 'Chorus Line', each spot operator had their own 1,200 watt Variac with self adhesive rubber bumpers on the faces of the Variacs so the operators could hit specific settings when we wanted them dowsed down to repeatably specific settings on some of the dimmer scenes without having to glance at their dimmers.
Please do post back with how this goes for you and yours.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

@DannyDepac Alternately you could always use an autotransformer dimmer, Variac if you prefer a brand name. Decades ago I used three Source Fours for follow spots on an amateur production of 'Chorus Line', each spot operator had their own 1,200 watt Variac with self adhesive rubber bumpers on the faces of the Variacs so the operators could hit specific settings when we wanted them dowsed down to repeatably specific settings on some of the dimmer scenes without having to glance at their dimmers.
Please do post back with how this goes for you and yours.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
Great idea. Wish I'd thought of that. Oh wait......

Is it according to code: NO (using metal switch box in a portable application/using Romex clamps on rubber cable). Do people make and use something like this: YES. I am actually shocked (pardon the pun) that City Theatrical would sell this in the form pictured.

We don't sell one of these actually. We leave dimming to the end user.

In my experience it is put in the cheapest box available or what is laying around. I do like the idea of someone making a product that could be purchased and is safe. Especially since a lot of these follow spots go to high schools.

We don't sell one of these actually. We leave dimming to the end user.

In my experience it is put in the cheapest box available or what is laying around. I do like the idea of someone making a product that could be purchased and is safe. Especially since a lot of these follow spots go to high schools.
Well there you go..... your next product!

Actually, the Entertainment Technology/Genlyte/Strand IPS 7501 "Bak Pak" IGBT dimmer is made for this application (to be mounted with a portable fixture). Only Strand is making it now I believe, but available on Ebay at various times at a much more reasonable cost than when new. Positives: small/lightweight, silent, can be DMX-controlled from the console, has an optional bracket to mount on fixture yoke. Negatives: expensive new, heat sink gets VERY hot, manual control button too small. Available in 750 watt or 1200 watt versions.

BakPak5pins.JPG BakPakvertical.JPG

Hi Everyone - You've never failed me before so I'm back! lol

I am putting together my own DIY Followspot from an ETC source 4 ellipsoidal (5 degree) 750 watt.

I want it to be dimmable by the operator. I saw a couple of videos that use a regular old home "wall dimmer switch" inline with the power cord to make it dimmable.

Is that true? Is it safe? I have seen dimmers designed for this but they require an edison plug and are like $50. I'd prefer the wall dimmer if its safe.

I luckily (stupidly ?) ordered it with out a plug end so it is just as much work as buying a dimmer that requires an edison plug.

I have attached pictures for reference. Thanks in advance
This is how i use my follow spot using a Source four. Just get a dimmer that has a rating for it. I have a 1000Watt dimmer on mine

It will work fine till you blow the lamp when the arcing current will likely take out the triac, that's why theatre dimmers are over-rated and have fast fuses or breakers.

Do you have any spare dimmers in your dimming system? Rather than putting a dimmer on the S4 itself, can you put a 10v dimmer 'control' on it and run the 10v to a (theatrical) dimmer not in your hand? Less weight, easier to manage cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back