Using green in a light plot

Hi, I'm creating the lighting design for a high school production of "Band Geeks." I'm tempted to use green on pipe ends and/or down wash from upstage for this musical but it seems like a tricky color to use.

1. Any tips and which is your favorite green to use?

2. How do I avoid washing out the green floor with my front light? In addition to getting some funky green accents on actors, a green back wash could make the floor look green to help set the scenes that take place on the football field. IE, how to create normal looking actors in a green space?

Hi, I'm creating the lighting design for a high school production of "Band Geeks." I'm tempted to use green on pipe ends and/or down wash from upstage for this musical but it seems like a tricky color to use.

2. How do I avoid washing out the green floor with my front light? In addition to getting some funky green accents on actors, a green back wash could make the floor look green to help set the scenes that take place on the football field. IE, how to create normal looking actors in a green space?

I don't have a favorite green, not that it would help you if I did as my design aesthetic is probably much different than yours and I have no idea what colors people are wearing, colors of the set design, etc. Your best bet is to get some swatch books and do the old flashlight (non-LED) trick. Unfortunately with green, since it's one of the primary colors of light, the second it touches any other color it's going to be pushed towards white. I usually beat this by focusing the saturated color from the back or low sides so it will be seen in the shadows cast by the key lights.

Making the floor green really involves keeping other light off the floor, which is really impractical in many ways. I accomplish it with my main show by leaning heavily on a spotlight, but as soon as there's an ensemble number just a little bit of light scatter washes out any attempt at a saturated color. That said, if you can pull it off, low front light and a a good, strong backlight, it won't take much front light to make the actors look normal since the tendency of a color like green is to blend with other colors towards white.

1). Just stick with the "primary" greens - shades without too much blue or yellow. Often, the standard green cyc silk is a good place to start. Muck darker and you might have trouble getting the oomph you need.

2). As mentioned above, optimum front light will probably wash it out. I would probably go with backlight as you mentioned, and some shin busters if possible. The main question is, how visible is the stage floor? Unless it's an arena-style setup, a greenly-lit floor might not read too well.

3). Don't discount the idea of using some strong pipe-ends to give the effect of stadium lights. Par 64's corrected to around 5,000k to imitate Metal Halide might do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back